• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

were are all the friendly furrs?

Hmmm, I've only been here a few weeks and I've noticed a few nice furs and a few snobish people out there that just rub me the wrong way in this site. For myself, I'd have to say I'm generally nice...maybe to nice sometimes (re:hug thread ^.=.^) but since I'm a long thinker and a short speaker, I gennerally prefer to watch threads for a while befor putting my two bits in....that and I'm cautiouse about stepping on other peoples toes...most of the time, unless I'm in a mood. Maybe theres alot more freindly furs out there, but they're just soft spoken. i suppose no matter were you go in life there'll be good people and there'll be bad...and for whatever reason, the bad people just seem to stick out more, like a dark bruise.

what thatts not right!! those people should not be allowed to continue... I am positive that you won't find anyone here like that!!!

Bunnies

Rhainor

Rawr.
Purplecat said:
Funny, only person who I know that was on Furcadia... was someone who didn't consider himself furry. x3

I was on Furcadia for a while. Then it got redonkulously crowded in the areas where I generally hung out, and I didn't feel like continuing to pay for my dragon-form, so I left.

Now I'm on FurryMUCK. It may be text-based instead of graphical like Furcadia, but it's still worlds better, IMHO.

Welcome to the internet!
home1a.jpg

Were every community is overflowing with assholes and egos!
egos.jpg

ASSHOLES%20ARE%20CLOSER.jpg

quark

About the spelling thing:
You seem very nice, but I don't think I would ever be able to chat one on one with you because I do find your spelling to be very difficult to read. This isn't a matter of me being snobby, cause I've made friends offline who are horrible spellers. The difference there is, I don't have to read what they're saying to me, because they're there in flesh actually talking to me.
The thing with online friendships is that is depends so much on reading, and if I'm sitting there straining to understand what they're telling me, I'll probably give up on being friends with them. A typo, or misspelled word here and there is totally fine, but when I'm someone is taipping lyk ths, i juskant reed it
And like someone else said on here, when you're posting on a forum, and you bother to use somewhat correct spelling and grammar, it's showing the other posters that you have enough respect for them to make your posts easy to read.
And please, please do not take this as a personal attack. I'm just defending those of us who expect easy to read posts. Some of us aren't doing it just to be snobby or mean. We're just doing it to spare ourselves a headache.
Could you maybe take a few extra minutes to run your post through a spell checker? It really doesn't take that long, and it would make your posts so much easier to understand, so maybe people then will listen to what you actually have to say, instead of just focusing on your spelling.

As for where friendly furs are, I really can't say. This is pretty much the only furry site I frequent, and there seem to be plenty of friendly people here.

DavidN

I agree that taking care with what you're typing shows others respect, but I have to say that equating it with intelligence (as said a while ago) isn't right. We had an absolute genius coder in my year doing computer science at university, and he couldn't form coherent sentences at all (which is strange, considering the need for correct and precise syntax in computer science anyway).

tigermist

We're in the same boat. Im still not decided on the people in the fandom, nice, accepting, kind, honest, or complete jerks. :) I've met 'em all here.

Merilon

Some things I go by:

Assume everyone as a 'bad' person first before you think they are good (this idea also includes the idea that you should assume you are not accepted before you think you are accepted)

Love even your enemies (another way to say never hate or everyone is equal)

if someone says something unfriendly, just ignore it, they only do it to see if they can get some reaction that they enjoy.

ALWAYS do unto others as you would others do unto you.

For me, there is only one place so far that I feel like I belong and I am accepted (and no, that place is not here, I only really know one person here, and I really don't know that person much anyhow...)

foxkun

I wouldn't say I have any definitive friends on here (not in any "we talk deep intellectual conversation" sort of way), but I have people that I notice as regulars. That's just how I normally act on forums anyway.

BTW, you still need to tell me what you want for your trade ;)

As far as that spelling issue: I have a friend (well, practically younger brother, but that's not important for the moment) who is an awesome guy, but can not spell for crap. Seriously. I'd be over his should on IM correcting him on every word. Is he dumb? No. Lazy? No. Some people just have a knack of looking at a word and saying, "that's not right," and for others they can't see that. Most of the time the brain will automatically translate words when they're misspelled.The problem is, when there's alot of it, it's like reading through a mind field for people that pick up easy on misspellings. It does actually hurt (that may be why people are all "Goodness! Fix your spelling or you suck!" which isn't actually helping the situation). Is this the case with your spelling? 'Eh, I've seen much worse. I've seen posts from people that I just kinda glance over then run away from the post entirely. Yours I will read.

If you'd like a recommendation, and if you're allowed to, Download firefox. The newest update has an automatic spellchecker that underlines words that aren't correct and if you right click on them it'll give you the list of words that are closest to it (that's why my spelling isn't crappy right now ^^). I think IE may have the same thing on its update, not for sure. That way you don't have to go through your post multiple times, you can just right click the errors away.

DarkenScaled

minima said:
Does this explain why I care about your spelling?

Hi,

Just a quick counterpoint here. As someone that is currently losing the ability to type and write properly without help, I would like to point out that there are other reasons why a person may not be able to post very well.

There are various medications out there that cause cognitive failure (albeit they can do it slowly). I've been in the IT field for 18 years so I feel I can point out how frustrating it can be when you have to double check everything you enter, and go slower than what you are used to.

There are medical conditions that effect the brain which do not make a person less intelligent, but may impair that person's ability to communicate in certain ways.

sgolem

I can relate to that. I have trouble spelling myself. What's frustrating is a lot of the time I'll know if something is spelled wrong, but won't be able to figure out how to spell it right. However, the spell check in Firefox saves me all the time. I'd recommend it.

minima

DarkenScaled said:
Hi,

Just a quick counterpoint here. As someone that is currently losing the ability to type and write properly without help, I would like to point out that there are other reasons why a person may not be able to post very well.

There are various medications out there that cause cognitive failure (albeit they can do it slowly). I've been in the IT field for 18 years so I feel I can point out how frustrating it can be when you have to double check everything you enter, and go slower than what you are used to.

There are medical conditions that effect the brain which do not make a person less intelligent, but may impair that person's ability to communicate in certain ways.

Indeed. I also tend to give leeway when I know that people only speak English as a second or third language.

However, I think that if we start setting these as the default assumption rather than laziness or lack of intelligence on the part of the poster we effectively lower the standard across the board. I think we already do that often enough, don't you?

On a side note, I'd recommend the Firefox spell check feature as well.

Cygnus421

This forum is the only place ive found furs who are assholes... it appears i can't post anything without someone having some sort of rude remark towards me...

minima

Cygnus421 said:
This forum is the only place ive found furs who are assholes... it appears i can't post anything without someone having some sort of rude remark towards me...

I would hate to break a streak so...

That seems to be a pretty negative attitude towards the community here. Perhaps you get negative responses because your other comments tend to show the same attitude?

My 'negative' post was a direct response to the OP deriding people who cared about grammar and spelling. Generally, I notice that people seem to respond to a negative comment in a large group of ramblings but come off as being spiteful or hateful because their post is aimed specifically at one point or question brought up by the extended post they are responding to.

I'm not by any means saying that this is where the majority of 'negative' posts come from, but it does seem to happen a lot. Of course, if I'm going to be taken as an ass for disagreeing or pointing out things that bother me I suppose I should really just go for broke and become a true troll. I've known plenty of people on other forums who gradually transitioned to that style of posting for exactly that reason.

Where are they?

Right here! :D

CuB Hyena

I was on furcadia for a while, after yahoo took the 'user rooms' down.

I try to be like this image below...
save_grammer.gif

I type out my words. But, ya don't seem like the type that would be all "How R U?" and such. ^_^ Which is always so nice.

Danius

sateva9822 said:
Iv byn a furr for years, about 3 years back I tryed out furcadia... I meet a few furrs on there I styll talk to. Though other then that all I'v found inthe fandome is a bunch of rude, angry, and whiny people...

EEE!
Chat rooms are like the gutters.
Run far from furcadia.
Run into the forest.

You'll probably meet the most natural and kind persons in places other than bars and chatrooms, and all that.

Silnat

Hi Sateva! You feel lonely, I had that felling when I start to draw .
I try in Furcadia likr you, but it doen't work like I wishes to, if you have some tiem you can mail me some times I'm in MSN so we can tall and know each other bettaer.
With my best wishes.
Silnat

DarkenScaled

minima said:
On a side note, I'd recommend the Firefox spell check feature as well.

Aye, although even that does not catch everything. Particularly if you are used to spelling things a certain way (having grown in another country ;) ), and those certain words that can be spelled more than one way. Then there's the matter of grammar which can be taken out of context, so would require some might sophisticated software to figure out what it is the writer is trying to say, eh? Mayhap the writer will take on a certain style that is contrary to the programming.

There was one person on alt.fan.dragons that would post in the style of Ambassador Kosh (from Babylon 5). Now _that_ could be a challenge!

I am fairly new to this site so I can´t really judge, but I´d say nutters are everywhere, in every fandom and on every page.
Tried Furcadia too, but I haven´t been on for long. The only person I have met was someone who wanted to know a/s/l after we exchanged a few friendly words, and when I told him(?) to be patient for a second (because I had to look up the a/s/l term, not very accustomed to modern chat/RPG´s) he just went "Wot?" and went off...

It did not interest him that I was male, 30 and my location was obviously Furcadia... XD
So I still hope to find some nice people there.

Rhainor

Rawr.
Furcadia is overrated, overcrowded, chuggy (in my experience), expensive (if you want the special stuff), and difficult to create stuff in/for.

I was on there off-and-on for two or three years, then I found FurryMUCK, and never looked back.

Rhainor said:
I was on there off-and-on for two or three years, then I found FurryMUCK, and never looked back.

I am new to this whole Online RPG stuff, isn´t this Text only? I quite like Furcadia so far but haven´t done much there other than looking around.

Rhainor said:
FurryMUCK is text-only, yes, as are nearly all MU*s. Furcadia, being a graphical MU*, is an exception rather than the rule.

Aah, now I get this system... I only played some classic RPG´s like Ultima and some japanese ones before.