• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Weve got a comment bot

Farx

The Fat Fox That Rocks
Looks like another comment bot : http://www.furaffinity.net/user/thertilethallad/

Comment posted was : (Wonderful portrayal!) " Synergy is embodied in this pinacle of spiritual and emotional triumph. This image is as bad ass as leaving your girlfriend overnight in a maximum security federal prison wearing nothing but a red Fez and tangeriene oil.
I love your work! "

Anyone else get this one or something from this user ?

/Why can't comment bots SPELL ?

uncia2000 said:
User blocked pending reply and acceptable explanation on this thread.

(I don't have the time to check every single comment, at present).

Farx

The Fat Fox That Rocks
RE: Attack of the bot?

Sorry for being Captain Obvious, I didn't see the extra pages in this thread, it's a bit too early for me this morning for cohesive thinking yet.
COFFEE !

uncia2000 said:
Typhon said:
Okay this guy..

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/thertilethallad/

Has been leaving nothing but the same insult on almost everyones submissions. Now I don't mind critiuqe of my stuff, but to say the same thing over and over again? Makes me wonder if this is a bot or something.

*nods* Bot or pseudo bot, gryphie. And already banned.
Some people don't have a life, huh?

Tidy-up to follow, as noted above.

DJ Chrome

Farx said:
Looks like another comment bot : http://www.furaffinity.net/user/thertilethallad/

Comment posted was : (Wonderful portrayal!) " Synergy is embodied in this pinacle of spiritual and emotional triumph. This image is as bad ass as leaving your girlfriend overnight in a maximum security federal prison wearing nothing but a red Fez and tangeriene oil.
I love your work! "

Anyone else get this one or something from this user ?

/Why can't comment bots SPELL ?

Yes, that bot's been banned allready.
Thank you, Unica2000 =)

Kiwaku

Foxy Fox
Looks like they've been dealt with, but
just to note, I have comments by:

clydedragon
thertilethallad

I have 3 comments from thetilethallad. Is there any way someone could PLEASE remove thier stupidness from my pages? http://www.furaffinity.net/view/204500/ http://www.furaffinity.net/view/204302/ http://www.furaffinity.net/view/203767/

Please remove them ;_; Because it's stupid.. and insulting to have those comments on my pages. Thanks if you can X_X

thelonelydragon

Wheeeeee!
I had been commented by thetilethallad as well. >.=.<
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/206345/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/206338/

Could these comments be removed? I'm not liking them very much. Thanks.

Charha

*finally remembers her forum password*

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/mcboone/

Here's another one. I've been bombarded by at least four different bots during the last two days. It's slightly annoying mainly because the comments are so dumb.

yak

Site Developer
Staff member
Administrator
All 6k+ comments deleted.

Tikara

The Local Purple Mew
Heheh, thanks for fixing up the comment bot problem :3 Although I have to admit, some of them were funny XD Ah well, hope we won't have these problems in the future! :3

N3X15

Tikara said:
Heheh, thanks for fixing up the comment bot problem :3 Although I have to admit, some of them were funny XD Ah well, hope we won't have these problems in the future! :3
Ferrox will have some snazzy anti-bot measures.

Wolfblade

Hanazawa said:
Anyone who feels good about a "nice" comment from someone who DIDN'T ACTUALLY LOOK AT YOUR PICTURE is only fooling themselves.

Totally. But hey, Honeymane, there's nothing stopping anyone from going around and making actual relevant comments if you want to make people feel better about themselves. ^_^

Nemo

Wolfblade said:
Hanazawa said:
Anyone who feels good about a "nice" comment from someone who DIDN'T ACTUALLY LOOK AT YOUR PICTURE is only fooling themselves.

Totally. But hey, Honeymane, there's nothing stopping anyone from going around and making actual relevant comments if you want to make people feel better about themselves. ^_^

Like, "nice pic." Or "hot." Or "this is a jpg." Ever popular selections.

Let's face it, when a perl script comments more eloquently than the actual user base, it really says something about the user base. I think we should have let it stay to teach people how to comment. I know people who were deeply moved by the fact that somebody cared enough to leave insightful, deep comments on their page instead of permutations of "nice pix". Just because those comments could have and were applied to any image, doesn't reduce the emotional impact. A friend of mine started drawing again because of what was said to him.

If real effort is too weak to make a difference, I wholeheartedly support falsified effort.

Wolfblade

Nemo said:
Like, "nice pic." Or "hot." Or "this is a jpg." Ever popular selections.

Let's face it, when a perl script comments more eloquently than the actual user base, it really says something about the user base. I think we should have let it stay to teach people how to comment. I know people who were deeply moved by the fact that somebody cared enough to leave insightful, deep comments on their page instead of permutations of "nice pix". Just because those comments could have and were applied to any image, doesn't reduce the emotional impact. A friend of mine started drawing again because of what was said to him.

If real effort is too weak to make a difference, I wholeheartedly support falsified effort.

No.

This isn't some brilliant person out to spread affection and goodwill to all, who then got rejected in a way that "says something" about the userbase.

It was somebody being a smartass and making a script to flood the site to further exacerbate the speed issues it was already having. The username he chose, and the way he reacted when that account was removed make it clear his intentions weren't anything noble. It was some bored little nobody with nothing better to do. Nobody that needs to be glorified.

Anyone who feels that there's a lesson to be learned here, and that people should make more of an effort to give deep and insightful comments; go out and do that. Give comments that you feel are more meaningful. Meaningful comments only count when you MEAN what you're saying.

A script bot doesn't mean anything other than "I'm bored and trying to be a nuisance."

Its really annoying when someone does something just to be a dick, and then people who found the prank funny try to glorify them with noble intentions after the fact. :

Nemo

I had this huge post all typed out in my head, and then I realized that if you don't get it, you don't get it, and there's no point for me to be longwinded about it.

It is my sincere hope that whoever this user is, he continues his work. Maybe somebody else will become reinspired and start drawing again because of his efforts. It makes me sad that you disagree with this, but you can, after all, disagree with whatever you like.

Hanazawa

Would Like To Play a Game
Nemo, I understand what you're saying. It's still misguided.

Say you turn in a paper for English. You get an A on it. That's awesome, right? ...until you find out that your grade was randomly assigned by a third-grader who never actually read your paper. It might be awesome, or it might be crap. How can you take that grade at face value, knowing what really happened? It's not an honor and it's not any help.

To echo Wolfblade's sentiments, if you really want to see that kind of comment going around and inspiring people to keep trying, do it yourself, and encourage others to comment similarly. Encouraging a *script-bot-thing* to do it is meaningless.

uncia2000

Nemo said:
It is my sincere hope that whoever this user is, he continues his work.

Maybe somebody else will become reinspired and start drawing again because of his efforts. It makes me sad that you disagree with this, but you can, after all, disagree with whatever you like.

And you class the following, from a bot, as being "worthwhile" of continuation ad nauseum?

"Excellent implimentation of a testiment to the powers of space, time and the furry void of destiny. This image is as bad ass as broadcasting the sound of a thousand aborted zombie fetuses screaming in blood curdling sexual ecstacy at a christian pro-life convention. If I could draw this well I'd be retired."

Yeah, that might inspire some people, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority would find it intensely annoying to discover several dozen comments such as those drowning out a few genuine comments, even if those are merely "cool work. thanks" types.

=
aside: Apologies for not spotting sooner that your submission "Gay Nazi Pedo Tiger and the Rohypnol Party" needs to be uprated from "General Audience" to "Mature" for language re. underage sexual activity, etc.

Nemo

Hanazawa said:
Nemo, I understand what you're saying. It's still misguided.

Say you turn in a paper for English. You get an A on it. That's awesome, right? ...until you find out that your grade was randomly assigned by a third-grader who never actually read your paper. It might be awesome, or it might be crap. How can you take that grade at face value, knowing what really happened? It's not an honor and it's not any help.

To echo Wolfblade's sentiments, if you really want to see that kind of comment going around and inspiring people to keep trying, do it yourself, and encourage others to comment similarly. Encouraging a *script-bot-thing* to do it is meaningless.

An A is an A. It boosts your GPA and keeps you passing your classes. Like most college students, I would rather pass my classes than have a good paper, and I would rather give people false hope than have them not want to improve for lack of being paid attention to.

I would like to add that I spend a goodly portion of my time making worthless comments on other people's pieces, but I am a man. I only have ten fingers, and can only comment so often before my wrists go numb and my brain explodes. This is why I support the automation of such.

uncia2000 said:
And you class the following, from a bot, as being "worthwhile" of continuation ad nauseum?

"Excellent implimentation of a testiment to the powers of space, time and the furry void of destiny. This image is as bad ass as broadcasting the sound of a thousand aborted zombie fetuses screaming in blood curdling sexual ecstacy at a christian pro-life convention. If I could draw this well I'd be retired."

Yeah, that might inspire some people, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority would find it intensely annoying to discover several dozen comments such as those drowning out a few genuine comments, even if those are merely "cool work. thanks" types.

=
aside: Apologies for not spotting sooner that your submission "Gay Nazi Pedo Tiger and the Rohypnol Party" needs to be uprated from "General Audience" to "Mature" for language re. underage sexual activity, etc.

I have nothing to hide. Yes. I do class that as being worthier than "nice pix." There's a better mechanism for generic approval in place already, or there wouldn't be a +fav function. There's no need to favorite an image both in your +fav list and in the comment box, it's just a waste of precious bandwidth. If you're not going to at least make it seem like you looked at the image, you shouldn't be posting.

Aside: After looking into that image's tags, Uncia, I noticed that you'd uprated it for me. Thank you for handling that for my convenience. That was nice of you.

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen
Nemo said:
There's no need to favorite an image both in your +fav list and in the comment box, it's just a waste of precious bandwidth.  

Over 6000 meaningless comments from a bot isn't? :?

FA is an art community site, banter and even little simple comments like "nice pic" are the bread and butter of building a community. It is wrong to characterise them as a waste of bandwidth.

One might as well say that saying: "good morning", "hello" & "goodbye" to people is a waste of time and energy because they already know it's morning or that they know you are leaving because you suddenly walk away.

As has been said before, a computer generated comment has no worth whatsoever because an infinite supply can be generated and there was no intention behind the comments other than to damage FA.

A comment, even just a "nice pic", is worth something because a real person typed it and it is an indicator that somewhere out there in the world, a real living person has seen and liked your art.