• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

We've hit our goal!!

Asmodeaus

OMG YAY

thank god, with FA down and sheezy being fucked up,.........i gotta lotta art so i cant wait till FA's back

TORA

Banned
Banned
AquaPhin said:
RTDragon said:
SA is currenty having an issue now.
and the issue would be?

The issue is hopefully one FA will never get. They don't have the funds to support the server they're on. I last checked and they have about $550 of the $700 they need to keep it alive. Otherwise, it goes POOF.

Just check it at sheezyart.com .

AquaPhin

Banned
Banned
TORA said:
AquaPhin said:
RTDragon said:
SA is currenty having an issue now.
and the issue would be?

The issue is hopefully one FA will never get. They don't have the funds to support the server they're on. I last checked and they have about $550 of the $700 they need to keep it alive. Otherwise, it goes POOF.

Just check it at sheezyart.com .
good. so that means if they go offline and FA is up again well be booming! :)

Alkora

well, i checked into it, to get it hosted, it would be on a 512k line, no capped limit on how much is transfered monthly...

$200 for 5u rack space (they had an option for a 2u and a 5u) and $150 for the line and power. I have a 1 hour timeslot when i can just go down there and check the server in person per week.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
Jheryn said:
well, i checked into it, to get it hosted, it would be on a 512k line, no capped limit on how much is transfered monthly...

$200 for 5u rack space (they had an option for a 2u and a 5u) and $150 for the line and power. I have a 1 hour timeslot when i can just go down there and check the server in person per week.
Is a 512K line going to be able to work for FA?

Alkora

Preyfar said:
Jheryn said:

Is a 512K line going to be able to work for FA?

Yea, i just realized that...
and it's really not...so i am gonna look around some more...
I was told this was going to be cheap by a friend...I don't think he realized that we were going to need a larger line...

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
Jheryn said:
Yea, i just realized that...
and it's really not...so i am gonna look around some more...
I was told this was going to be cheap by a friend...I don't think he realized that we were going to need a larger line...
Well, here's some good questions to consider:
1) How much bandwidth do we need to start?
2) Is there a fee for upgrading to a higher tier of bandwidth?

We could probably get away with a lower class of bandwidth to START, but one FA picks up steam again, we'll need to jump to a higher volume. Which will help if/when donations pick up to further fund things.

Alkora

The minumum we'd need is 4mb/s

That's what we were using before...

4 up, 2 down...

Arcturus

Banned
Banned
Actually, FurAffinity was using an average of 5.2 MBit/sec up and 1.4MBit/sec down, with 7.1MBit/sec up and 2.1MBit/sec down at peak.

WHPellic

Arcturus said:
Actually, FurAffinity was using an average of 5.2 MBit/sec up and 1.4MBit/sec down, with 7.1MBit/sec up and 2.1MBit/sec down at peak.

Up? Down? Is it a server or an elevator? ::chuckles::

But seriously, what do the up and down rates mean?

Suule

But seriously, what do the up and down rates mean?

Up rate - Upload rate - ammount of data per second that is transmitted
Down rate - Download rate - ammount of data per second that is recived.

Arcturus

Banned
Banned
Will there be a published cost for co-location then, for what I am guessing will be something like a 10mbps line soon then?

kittenlittle

Hiya!

I've been lurking on the forums for a while hoping you guys will get Fur Affinity back up :3

I have a few questions after seeing that you have now got the money to build a server for the site. Are you folks building the server and who is going to build it. Will it be Jheryn?

What system are you going to run on there and what software will you put on it to make sure the site runs properly? If you need co location, they don't build it for you right?

Also, where are you planning on getting hosting, will this be in your area so you can physically handle the server? From what I understand from other sites is that most providers will not be responsible for fixing your system if it breaks.

You said the money will be arriving in two to three weeks or is that when you expect to find a provider and be back online? I don't understand.

Will you also need money to ship the server or are you going to be local to it?

How much is it going to cost for colocation?

Thank you, and keep up the good work :>

G

Your questions hurt my brain... Hm... Uhhh... I dunno? X3

JHERYN!!!!!!