• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What about your favourite game...?

Redregon

Banned
Banned
what is it (if you look at it deeper than just "whee, this is FUN!") about your favourite games that makes your heart beat faster, your brain go into overdrive and just in general leads you to feel like the game is "good?"

no, not graphics per-se (it's not easy to fuck up graphics in the games world with today's technology) or things like "it's a furry, furry is awesome" (no.) more along the lines of game mechanics or story elements or what.

so, yeah... i'm asking y'all to think just a little deeper about your favourite games as to what you think makes them as fun to you as they are.

discuss.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
Relating to the characters, not just the heroes but also the villains

The way some game makers are able to somehow just breathe life into what they create

<CaliforniaStripes>

Form of a.. College Nerd!
A plotline i don't get bored of after beating the game once twice or three times over, lots of challenges and some puzzles here and there and if you get to make choices about how your game plays out in the end.

8-bit

Characters(survival horror), amazing BGM( Dark Cloud 2), tension (think Dead Space), breathtaking scenery (ala AC2)

Mealing

Its all about the story, how it is delivered and if the game makes it real. Silent Hill 1 - 3 would never happen but when your playing that game its just the tiny suggestion in the back of your mind that whispers it could be.

The story needs the frame to support it. Game mechanics and controlls can shatter the best of stories. I love Starcraft and Warcraft 2 - 3 because the story is so good. Baldurs Gate series, although dated, has workable graphics (which is all a game needs), good mechanics and a brilliant story.

But that is my ramble on it. Story > All (Graphics do not matter <.<).

Ibuuyk

Icon made by Littlerock!
It's the first game I ever had, so it has a nostalgic bonus. It has a great storyline & fighting system for its time, and I still think it has a better storyline & better average gameplay than most of junk we have nowadays. The story may be considered unoriginal by today's standards, but it was original back then, and the cliched weren't so cliched as they are today. The music's plain awesome. The final boss can be really hard if you're not used to the game. Heck, everything can be hard if you're not used to the game, as like many older games, there's no instruction at all (no item/spell/armor/weapon/whatever descriptions, so you have to figure it out by yourself the hard way).

Gotta love Final Fantasy Legends II.

Karimah

Reject if Seal is Broken
Definitely the story line and characters, but also meaning. Silent Hill is extremely enjoyable and addictive to me because the stories are so well crafted and each monster represents some part of the main character's psyche. Little things like that hook me and make me obsess over the games even more.

Replay value, if I know I'm missing a lot I'll go back to listen even harder. Games like Bioshock do that for me, I simply adored the concept behind it. If I don't want to play it again then it has failed me and I will be trading it in.

The perfect amount of challenge. Make me think and frustrate me but not to the point of quitting. If I jump up in joy when I figure out a puzzle or a situation than all is well.

SirRob

The environment and the art style are large factors for me. I generally like games that have an anime style and are set in a medieval fantasy type setting. Like Fire Emblem, Tales of, or, to an extent, Legend of Zelda. I like simple gameplay with a surprising amount of depth, such as Pokemon or Super Smash Bros. Replay value's nice too. Oh, and the soundtrack is a nice bonus, although most games I like happen to have a great soundtrack to go along with it. A variety of characters and designs are a big factor too.

Edit: I guess genre's a pretty major factor too. I like Fighting games and RPGs the best, but I like adventure and racing games too.

Last edited:

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
I like good characters and a good story. The occasional humor thrown in is good too.

Ibuuyk

Icon made by Littlerock!
The environment and the art style are large factors for me. I generally like games that have an anime style and are set in a medieval fantasy type setting. Like Fire Emblem, Tales of, or, to an extent, Legend of Zelda. I like simple gameplay with a surprising amount of depth, such as Pokemon or Super Smash Bros. Replay value's nice too. Oh, and the soundtrack is a nice bonus, although most games I like happen to have a great soundtrack to go along with it. A variety of characters and designs are a big factor too.

Sounds like Final Fantasy Legends II, except for the anime part ^^

SirRob

Sounds like Final Fantasy Legends II, except for the anime part ^^
I like the Final Fantasy series in general(Especially the Tactics Advance series), unfortunately most aren't available on Nintendo consoles.

Doom. It brings so many good childhood memories.

Zelda, cause it is just so awesome.

F.E.A.R. really counts cause it did get under my skin >.>

Alstor

And twice as shiny
Doom. It brings so many good childhood memories.

Zelda, cause it is just so awesome.

F.E.A.R. really counts cause it did get under my skin >.>
Read the OP. This isn't a "what is your favorite game?" thread.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Story, atmosphere, and replay value are all important to me. And voices that aren't annoying as fuck.

paintballadict9

Center 50!
GHTP series (Greg hastings tournament paintball)

I love it for the semi-realistic paintball mechanics.

Its hard to do a great paintball game.

I can see myself in almost every situation in that game and can make my character do what i would do...

gameplay is solid as well...and me being a *ahem* paintball addict just adds to it :D

R. Wolf

Good characters, replay value, lots of extras (for example: Nazi Zombies, Boss Survival Mode, New Game+, etc.), co-op modes are fun, and level editors (Think Operation Flashpoint or ARMA) are always good additions.

Kipikipo

B'ox full of puns
Depends on the game. I like being able to create my own character and having to decide between being good or evil, having tons to do, etc, etc. But it also needs plot. Lack of plot was probably the biggest reason why Fable sucked compared to other RPGs like TES and Fall Out, despite having a good character buildup system and fun combat. It has to be challenging AND rewarding. XP I hate games that offer you the chance to fight a super hard boss, finish a challenge room, or whatever and only offer a a high five, exp(which is worthless since you can get that anywhere), or concept art.

Volug

Originality at its finest
Atmosphere. I like a lot of background stuff where you have to do some digging to understand the whole picture as well, maybe make your own assumptions as to what is happening.

Perfect example would be Alan Wake. While I don't have an Xbox, my friend does. Thankfully he kindly let me use it as long as I bought the game.