• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What are some obscure indie games that need attention?

Not sure of this counts more as a book but definitely Homo Perfectus by SindriIV
It was programmed with a website that also needs a lot more attention called chooseyourstory.com it was originally made for writing choose your own adventure books in except you can also add stuff like variables and items into your books and make something that would be impossible to have on printed paper. There is a lot of extremely good content on thier because of thier strict quality control rules. I really REALLY recommend checking the site out it does not receive nearly as much attention as it deserves.

DraäkcTheDragonOfficial

Eatin dat fucking sponge cake
Earthbound is great. It has a hilarious story and one of the best endings ever. It inspired a ton of other games most notably Undertale. So yeah my choice for this is Earthbound.

Zeno Clash 1 & 2
A trippy Salvador Dali inspired first person brawler. Reject civilization, embrace tradition

Hylics 1 & 2
A acid trip Earthbound like rpg

Brigador
A topdown mech tactical shooter, commit atrocities to maximize your paycheck well overthrowing social order.

Devil Daggers
First person SHMUP. How long can you survive the onslaught?, my record is 212 seconds

Sky Rough
A rough-like arcade flight sim

Sanctum 1 & 2
First person tower defense action

The Talos Principle
What does it truly mean to live? Solve puzzles throughout the garden. (One of my most beloved game of all time)

oappo

That's curious. I'd say that counts as a game. Looks interesting. I actually remember playing similar games on my phone. Maybe I'll check Homo Perfectus out later

For me:

The House in Fata Morgana & The Pirate's Fate. These two are visual novels, so I don't think they get quite enough eyes on them as they should or would if they were normal games. Of special note for this forum is the latter visual novel is furry.

Jade Empire. Not exactly indie, as it's a Bioware game, but I don't think it ever got as much attention as Dragon Age, KOTOR and Mass Effect. It's the hidden little stepchild of Bioware. Very sad this never got a sequel of some sorts. Highly recommend if you like RPGs.

The Talos Principle. I don't think Croteam is super well known to begin with, but their Serious Sam series seems to overshadow Talos. Talos has an interesting story and really enjoyable puzzles (if you don't get frustrated too easily)

LiEat. An RPG-maker type game by Miwashiba. All three games made by the dev are pretty good, but I think I enjoyed LiEat the most.

Element4l. A difficulty atmospheric platformer. Very satisfying to beat

OneShot. It's sort of like Undertale. Niko is absolutely adorable and has great design. You'll quickly grow attached to him. The game is a bit more meta than UT though.

Kinare

RAWR
Mutazione - It's got a weird yet interesting vibe to it, and the story is interesting. Haven't finished yet. Gameplay is point and click, but with very light garden sim mechanics mixed with lite music making mechanics.

Spiritfarer - Dang, what a beautiful game all around. Very story focused and the stories are full of *feels* and stuff. Gameplay is like a mix of platforming and point and click, and this time with light sim mechanics of all forms - manage the happiness of your passengers, build the ship up, cook, take care of a garden/sheep, fish, gather resources, travel the open seas at your own pace to discover things. The sim mechanics are well done though, they don't distract from the story and just sort of add to the overall experience. (Oh, and all of the passengers are anthros, so get your furry trash asses on this one.)

Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves - This was a cute little game I really enjoyed, one of the few on my list I miss and wish it had some replayability to it. The story is ok, but the strategy element of choosing how to defend yourself each night was pretty fun to me. It was too short. ;-;

Speed Dating for Ghosts - This one was just silly, so if you like silly games with easy achievements, easy pickup. Kind of a simple choose your own adventure type of thing if I had to pick a gameplay type for it.

And now, for the most "obscure" games on my list...
The Cat Lady (2012), Downfall (2016), and Lorelai (2019) - all part of R. Michalski's Devil Came Through Here adventure game trilogy.
I have only played The Cat Lady, and I picked it up because cats and spoops... But boy oh boy, that game stuck with me. It's classified as horror, and while I can't speak for the other two, most of the spoop comes from the general dark as fuck twisted feeling of the game. There were minor jumpscares, but those do nothing to me so weren't bothersome. HELLA trigger warnings though, if you're easily upset by just about any harsh trigger then I'd stay far away from these games. Point and click for all of 'em, light puzzle elements that were super easy.

Aaand I'll stop there because this list could go on forever, those are just what stuck out to me the most for right now.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
Amid Evil

Amid Evil

Amid Evil

Amid Evil

It's a recent game inspired by some '90s shooters and it's one of the prettiest games I've seen in a long time. It's also fun and violent, and has plenty of unique weapons, enemies, and worlds to keep the campaign fresh.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
I still stand by what I said about SuperEpic The Entertainment Wars. It's a metroidvania Style game that has decent combo based gameplay. The game itself isn't massive, but it does have two different modes, a regular story mode and a mode that randomizes the maps to give the game some replay value. There is also some pop culture references, specifically to Castlevania Symphony of the Night, but one silly thing I noticed is that you will fight Pig janitors that are basically just furry versions of Scruffy from Futurama. There is even a pig janitor NPC named Scruffy.

This game is neither indie nor obscure...

Honestly, it's not even that good. I feel like people just like the game because of how different it is, but everything is just so excessively random IMO that it's more stupid than Charming, and The Game Play is only average, again, IMO.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
Been playing World of Horror and I like the aesthetic.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
A Night In The Woods is a good game I don't see anyone talk about, esp within furry spaces.
Maybe I jumped on it too late.
*shrug*

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
A Night In The Woods is a good game I don't see anyone talk about, esp within furry spaces.
Maybe I jumped on it too late.
*shrug*

You kind of did, especially since I've heard the Creator is under heavy controversy.

There's this one game no one talks about that I just found. Really nifty game that's like an RPG, but more focused on adventure. It's called Legend of Zelda by some small guy named Mario Nintendo. This one really flew under the radar. I'm hoping it comes to Switch one day.

Seriously, some of the shit you people list couldn't be -further- from obscure.

Some actual stuff that gets buried:
  • Disc Creatures - Monster catching RPG where all of the monsters you catch have their own skill trees
  • Rikki & Vikki - New Atari 7800/Steam title. Co op platformer with an excellent 90's cartoon art style. 2 fox parents trying to rescue their kids that were kidnapped by an asshole dragon (game gets visually unsettling towards the end)
  • Spark the Electric Jester 2 - HOLY SHIT IT'S SONIC! 8D
  • Zero Ranger - Easily one of the best STG's to be released in the last decade. Absolutely superb scoring and intensely finetuned level design. Incredible homage to classics such as Gradius, R-Type, Cho Ren Sha, Raiden, and Raizing masterpieces.
  • Super Cyborg - Literally Contra 5. Hard as -fuck- with some serious nightmare fuel boss designs. Great fucking game.
  • Monolith - Rogue lite twinstick STG. Like Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon except fun.
  • BallisticNG - Spiritual successor to WipEout. Adopts a faithful PS1 visual style and uses both classic and modern WipEout's physics/mechanics. Track designer, workshop support, custom playlists, zone, time attack, campaign grid, online, speed lap, all sorts of racing modes. The fucking works.
  • Aggelos - Incredibly authentic Sega Master system styled, Wonder Boy inspired Metroidvania. Great combat, fun puzzles, hard bosses, great dungeons. Get this if you like old school Sega platforming (like pre Sonic Sega Mark III era), Zelda 2, and contemporary hallmarks of the genre
  • Mecha Ritz - I can't even describe this one. Just...look it up. Game's brilliant madness. Ridiculously smart, adaptive difficulty/rank system.
Yeah I heard about that.
One of the co-creators alt+f4'd

Honestly, the story behind that is really depressing and it doesn't at all surprise me who was at the epicenter of it all.

Last edited:

zandelux

Alright, you want obscure? There's a game called Squadron 18, programmed by a one-man dev team back in the 90s in QBasic. No one has played it except me, because I'm the one who created it, and I never finished it or released it.

But as far as games someone would actually want to play, I play a lot of interactive fiction, which is sort of a hipstery term for what people used to call "text adventures". One of my favorites is Photopia. It's very short and linear, but the story and presentation are really nice. You can play it for free: http://adamcadre.ac/if.html#Photopia

Lucyfur

United forever in friendship and labour
Banned
Ruiner
Such a fantastic game yup yup
Celeste
Also fantastic yup yup

Gonna list Crimzon Clover. It's not popular, but not quite ultra obscure, I think? But I'm listing it because it's being ported over to Switch in a few hours. Old favorite from 2010. Getting a third, further enhanced version.
Eye meltingly explosive, master class bullet Hell.

TemetNosce88

Prepare for the collapse
Homesick (2015). It's a walking simulator with puzzles. What makes it spectacular is the visuals and especially the soundtrack. I listen to the soundtrack on a regular basis.

I mean I have mentioned Yume Nikki a ton of times on this site already but I never really mentioned the fan made sequel it has art you can unlock like in yume nikki dream diary. Plus the famicom has MULTIPLE minigames in it, the open world is also WAAAAY bigger and more interesting than Yume Nikkis was plus it was made by a dev team instead of one gu- wait does this even count then? Ah, imma put it down anyways Yume 2kke everybody
Zeno Clash 1 & 2
A trippy Salvador Dali inspired first person brawler. Reject civilization, embrace tradition

Hylics 1 & 2
A acid trip Earthbound like rpg

Brigador
A topdown mech tactical shooter, commit atrocities to maximize your paycheck well overthrowing social order.

Devil Daggers
First person SHMUP. How long can you survive the onslaught?, my record is 212 seconds

Sky Rough
A rough-like arcade flight sim

Sanctum 1 & 2
First person tower defense action

The Talos Principle
What does it truly mean to live? Solve puzzles throughout the garden. (One of my most beloved game of all time)
Oh my god I've been meaning to get around to Hylics 2
This game is neither indie nor obscure...
Au contraire the game is made by a SMALL development team and Shigesato Itoi did most of the work himself so he would have a ton of creative freedom
These all fall under the definition of indie game
I mean I've always called it indie so I think it can count
Also it just has general indie game vibes to it
But yeah you're right about it not being obscure
Even though only two people in my entire high school have heard of mother 3 somehow I mean can someone explain that to me lol

There's this one game no one talks about that I just found. Really nifty game that's like an RPG, but more focused on adventure. It's called Legend of Zelda by some small guy named Mario Nintendo. This one really flew under the radar. I'm hoping it comes to Switch one day.

Seriously, some of the shit you people list couldn't be -further- from obscure.

Some actual stuff that gets buried:
  • Disc Creatures - Monster catching RPG where all of the monsters you catch have their own skill trees
  • Rikki & Vikki - New Atari 7800/Steam title. Co op platformer with an excellent 90's cartoon art style. 2 fox parents trying to rescue their kids that were kidnapped by an asshole dragon (game gets visually unsettling towards the end)
  • Spark the Electric Jester 2 - HOLY SHIT IT'S SONIC! 8D
  • Zero Ranger - Easily one of the best STG's to be released in the last decade. Absolutely superb scoring and intensely finetuned level design. Incredible homage to classics such as Gradius, R-Type, Cho Ren Sha, Raiden, and Raizing masterpieces.
  • Super Cyborg - Literally Contra 5. Hard as -fuck- with some serious nightmare fuel boss designs. Great fucking game.
  • Monolith - Rogue lite twinstick STG. Like Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon except fun.
  • BallisticNG - Spiritual successor to WipEout. Adopts a faithful PS1 visual style and uses both classic and modern WipEout's physics/mechanics. Track designer, workshop support, custom playlists, zone, time attack, campaign grid, online, speed lap, all sorts of racing modes. The fucking works.
  • Aggelos - Incredibly authentic Sega Master system styled, Wonder Boy inspired Metroidvania. Great combat, fun puzzles, hard bosses, great dungeons. Get this if you like old school Sega platforming (like pre Sonic Sega Mark III era), Zelda 2, and contemporary hallmarks of the genre
  • Mecha Ritz - I can't even describe this one. Just...look it up. Game's brilliant madness. Ridiculously smart, adaptive difficulty/rank system.

Honestly, the story behind that is really depressing and it doesn't at all surprise me who was at the epicenter of it all.
Dude you're kind of salty
You got to remember that some people may have a different definition of obscure than you I was more referring to the opinion definition than I was the dictionary definition

Last edited:
Lisa: The Painful RPG and it's subsequent DLC: Lisa: The Joyful created by Austin Jorgenson.
Hollow Knight from Team Cherry.
Bastion and Transistor by Supergiant Games.
Hylics 1 and 2 by Mason Lindroth. Especially Hylics 2, it's something really special.
Lisa and hallow knight aren't really obscure
And hylics (both of them) has already been mentioned on here
But thanks a lot for the other entries :)
Did you know that lisa is actually a sequel
You should check out the first game: Lisa the First