• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What are some of the most realistic furry media that you have seen before?

Liberonscien

Furry media is not known for being the most realistic thing sometimes. What are some of the more realistic furry pieces of media?

I am not necessarily talking about individual drawings but answering with those are fine. This question is primarily talking about fictional works.

Render

If you can lick it, it's probably safe
Banned
Fictional works as in literature? Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series comes to mind, and Brian Jacques' Redwall, and Daniel Moran's Keys to Paradise trilogy... That last one is rather interesting, in it 'furrys' are the result of a sorceress casting a curse on the kingdom of a man who used her and are seen as second class citizens.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
I strive for high level of realism in my own artwork, but this indeed is graphics (and occasional simple animation), not literature.

Liberonscien

Fictional works as in literature? Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series comes to mind, and Brian Jacques' Redwall, and Daniel Moran's Keys to Paradise trilogy... That last one is rather interesting, in it 'furrys' are the result of a sorceress casting a curse on the kingdom of a man who used her and are seen as second class citizens.
Literature, films, comics, etc.

Liberonscien

How realistic are they?

Ash Sukea

High functioning everything...most days.
S. Andrew Swann has a couple to check out in his Moreau series

Forests of the Night:
Chapter 1

“One day, Nugoya, you’re going to screw the wrong person.” Nohar Rajasthan raked his claws across the seat of his booth, wishing it was Nugoya’s face. Like the rest of Zero’s, the vinyl on the seat was flashy, shiny, and cheap. The seat shredded.

Nugoya grabbed the collar of the black jacket that was draped over his left shoulder, shaking his head. He looked human, but only at first glance. A close examination of the graying Japanese would reveal joints large beyond normal human proportions and muscles that snaked like steel cable. The light above the booth glinted off the chrome irises of Nugoya’s artificial Japanese eyes. “I hire you to find my girl. You find me a corpse. A corpse is worthless. I owe you nothing.”

Nohar shouldn’t have had the bad sense to let Nugoya hire him. It was becoming hard to contain his anger. “Expenses, and four days of legwork.”

Nohar shouldn’t have trusted a frank. Japan had been one of the few countries to ever defy the U.N. ban on the manipulation of human genetic material. The INS had tight restrictions on letting human frankensteins into the country and those that made it here found that they had few, if any rights. That kind of bitterness tended to turn people into assholes—and Nugoya didn’t need any help on that score.

Even moreaus like Nohar had a constitutional amendment in their favor.

“I owe you nothing. I should ask back the thousand I paid you. You are an arrogant cat. Were we elsewhere, you would have to show some respect, and pay for your failure.” Nugoya held up his mutilated right hand. It was missing two fingers.

Nohar was already scanning the rest of the bar. He picked out Nugoya’s people easily. They were all moreaus—a human would not be caught dead working for a frank.

“Twenty-five hundred, Nugoya. Pay me.”

It was Tuesday, two in the morning. There were only a half-dozen other people. The civilians—all human since they were downtown—were giving Nugoya’s booth a wide berth. No surprise, since two of Nugoya’s soldiers were hovering near the table. One was a tiger, like Nohar. The other was a dark brown, nearly black ursine that couldn’t quite stand upright even with the relatively high ceiling. Nugoya had a vulpine manning the bar, and a trio of white rabbits sat near the entrance. Nohar knew there was a canine somewhere out of sight, probably in the kitchen. Nohar could catch a hint of the dog’s scent.

“You failed. No money.”

Nohar told himself that he should just walk out of there. Shut up, leave, and cut his losses. He didn’t.

“I found the bitch, peddling her ass on the side for the flush you hooked her on. I don’t know if it was cut with angel dust or drain cleaner, but her last trip splatted her all over Morey Hill. It’s your fault she’s dead.”

Nugoya’s jaw clenched, and Nohar could smell his anger. Nugoya stood up. His jacket slid off his shoulder, revealing his artificial left arm and some scarring on his neck. “How dare you, an animal, presume—”

That was enough. “And what are you, Nugoya, but a half-pint, half pink sleazeball?”

Nugoya sputtered something incomprehensible. Probably Japanese.

Nohar was glad he was the one facing the rest of the bar. He could feel all hell was about to break loose. Why couldn’t he keep his damn mouth shut? One more try at being reasonable. “I just want my money, Nugoya. You aren’t going to shake me down like one of your girls.”

Nugoya’s problem was he couldn’t ever be anything but a small-time pimp. He wasn’t human and he wasn’t a moreau, so neither world would let him have more than a few scraps of the power he thought he deserved.

“I will not take any more insolence. Leave or I will have you removed.”

Nugoya motioned with his left arm at the other tiger and the bear. The tiger started moving forward. The bear reached under a table and took a hold of something large and presumably deadly. He kept it out of sight of the patrons.

Ash Sukea

High functioning everything...most days.
And Spectres of the Dawn:

In Specters of the Dawn A moreau of rabbit stock, Angel Lopez is the last survivor of a Cleveland street gang. A tough street fighter in search of a haven, she's come to "tolerant" San Francisco only to find that even the old-fashioned kind of humans aren't keen on moreaus. Still, she thinks she's found a home and safety until Byron the fox barges into her life, dragging her into the deadly underground of information-peddling, and a series of confrontations that may blow not just San Francisco but the whole planet wide open

Paws the Gryphon

*Technically* an Opinicus
Recently for me it's been the Summer King Chronicles by Jess E. Owen. Basically, feral gryphons. Er, gryfons, in this case, wolves, and also [no spoilers!] later on. Lots of character development is a definite plus, and as it pulls from 'Earth parallels' in animal behavior, it feels more believable. :)