• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What are you reading?

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
I've decided to start reading Stephen King and I'm instantly regretting it.

I can cope with monsters and aliens but...

The Institute.

Children being kidnapped and experimented on? Nope nope nope. I might not be able to finish it.

(It doesn't help that it's bringing back memories of psychiatric hospitals I've been in over the years. That fear of being abducted and trapped. It's too much.)

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I've decided to start reading Stephen King and I'm instantly regretting it.

I can cope with monsters and aliens but...

The Institute.

Children being kidnapped and experimented on? Nope nope nope. I might not be able to finish it.

(It doesn't help that it's bringing back memories of psychiatric hospitals I've been in over the years. That fear of being abducted and trapped. It's too much.)
I read that one and there is nothing wrong with discontinuing if you find the material disturbing.

Unrelated, Amazon has 1984 and Animal Farm for cheap as ebooks and along their corresponding audiobooks.

I've been listening to 1984 on my spare time.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert is my current read.

I recently finished The Murderbot Diaries hardcover by Martha Wells which my girlfriend had gotten me as a gift. I liked the nonhuman perspective and the decent humor, which is always hard to write.

Last edited:

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Going back through the last third of Sea People by Christina Thompson.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I may pick up the Xeelee Sequence when I have time.
It's extremely expansive series and very entertaining, though you should reading the core four books firsts and then Vacuum Diagrams. After that, you can read the rest in any order, though Xeelee: Endurance kicks two other books, Xeelee: Vengeance and Xeelee: Redemption, which I haven't read yet.

I'm also now reading The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu as well.

The-Courier

Dreamer of Cheese
It's extremely expansive series and very entertaining, though you should reading the core four books firsts and then Vacuum Diagrams. After that, you can read the rest in any order, though Xeelee: Endurance kicks two other books, Xeelee: Vengeance and Xeelee: Redemption, which I haven't read yet.

I'm also now reading The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu as well.
Yeah I planned on reading the core books first. I have seen bits and pieces here and there and the technology at play is extremely interesting, and may serve to give me inspiration for my own universe.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Yeah I planned on reading the core books first. I have seen bits and pieces here and there and the technology at play is extremely interesting, and may serve to give me inspiration for my own universe.
You may like Exultant, which is a part of his Destiny's Children series, which in turn is a subset of the Xeelee Sequence. It's mainly military science fiction, but it details the technology in the story heavily. Be aware that some of the physics is dated, though.

The-Courier

Dreamer of Cheese
You may like Exultant, which is a part of his Destiny's Children series, which in turn is a subset of the Xeelee Sequence. It's mainly military science fiction, but it details the technology in the story heavily. Be aware that some of the physics is dated, though.
Thanks. I'll also pick up Iain Bank's Culture series as well.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Thanks. I'll also pick up Iain Bank's Culture series as well.
He's a good author and I'd recommend his other science fiction outside of that series as well, in addition to his literary fiction.

Also, Peter F. Hamilton and Aliette de Bodard cover similar, but unique territory as well.

Iota

Don't read this. What did I just say-
I just finished rereading I Wear The Black Hat, a collection of essays on morality and villains both real and fictional, by Chuck Klosterman. Certainly entertaining for a non-fiction read, and I think it's his best work so far...

But I've dying for literally anyone to read Rx: A Tale Of Electronegativity so I have anyone to talk about it with. A great little one-shot novel in a punkish future setting.

Oh, and The Dark Tower series is a bop. And John Dies At The End...

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I listened to 2043: A Merman I Should Turn To Be by Nisi Shawl since my sister recommended it and it was discounted in the Kindle Store. The short story was alright, I liked the explanation behind the seal-like modifications the mer received, though ending was a little abrupt and I could see issues with it.

The narration by LaVar Burton was amazing, though.

Iota

Don't read this. What did I just say-
Kind of wild how much a bad narration can make a good read impossible to finish, and vice versa.

Stay Fluft

So many cats, such a little time.
IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Always been a fan of the turtles. I started reading this comic a ways back and really liked it… but life got busy and I fell off, so I’m starting over. I hope it stays as good as it’s been. This is by far my favorite rendition of TMNT.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Kind of wild how much a bad narration can make a good read impossible to finish, and vice versa.
Very true, though I did like the narration and story for 2043.

As a side note, I meant to post this earlier, but The Accidental Ambassador by D.A. Barr is something I'd recommend as well too.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I finished reading Fugitive Telemetry by Martha Wells since today I was tired this morning and not feeling productive after my run. The book was funnier than the first four and I decided to pick up the Network Effect from the bookstore, though I'll read that after I finish A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine.

Last edited:

TurbidCyno

Custom Title
Battletech: Hunting Season, and Songs of the Doomed by Hunter S. Thompson. Haven't really been much for reading lately though.

Zorrena

Personally I've been binging audiobooks during my off time at work currently I'm doing the Warhammer Ciaphas Cain series on book 4 so far. Been wanting to read more but audiobooks have been an easy way for me to get new stories as my hours change everyday it seems and I got a massive game backlog.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
The Life You Can Save: How to Do Your Part to End World Poverty by Peter Singer since my sister recommended it to me.

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

Came around to reading it again, specifically for the chapters featuring the internal dialog the "monster" has.