• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What Are Your Gaming Pet Peeves?

Title is self explanatory!

I am really curious what things that just make you sink into your chair and groan whenever you see something pop up in that new game you just bought.
Bonus points if its something that makes you stop immediately and uninstall it from your device.

For me I think it would go as follows;
- Overly basic tutorials. (Use WASD/Joystick to move. If your HP is 0 you will die. Something with a big “S“ on it will save the game on interaction etc.)
- Colour based loot drops. (Green = Common, Gold = Legendary. You should be able to determine an item’s quality based of its looks and stats!)
- SBMM
- Mico transactions, especially if RNG or loot box based.
- Regional censorship
- Lack of backwards compatibility
- Timed exclusive events, game modes or rewards
- More damn battle royals
- Overly straightforward character creation/customization
- Sudden resource drops or large open arenas, telegraphing an incoming boss fight
- Long hair clipping through weapons/armour
- Battle Royal genre
- Highest controller sensitivity option still being super slow
- Shooters that rely on rpg mechanics. (Just feels off to shoot someone point blank with a shotgun, only to see their health bar shrink by a fraction of an inch)
- Single player focused games jamming in multiplayer elements for no exact reason (and vice versa for multiplayer games)
- Collectathons with no rewards at the end (I do not count trophies or achievements as rewards, its not worth it to me!)
- Whooping a boss‘ ass only to be decimated in the cut scenes
- Turn based combat…. (Don‘t @ me!)

And for me, the thing that can ruin a game for me and make me skip it entirely: Free To Play games….
I know there are some good F2P games, but they are so far and few between that it is so hard to even give a random one a chance. Even the best F2P games still are just Trojan horse money making schemes hidden in a ball of fun. There is nothing that kills my interest for a game than seeing that dreaded “FREE” button where the price tag should be. I’ve always said that you are more likely to spend three times the money on a free to play game than you would on a regular paid game, and you probably still would not be any closer to having everything you want.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Rushed development and rushed DLC, no transparency to the player base about the game, basically the Cyberpunk2077 treatment.

Snowcloud33

Too many social game Mechanics. Like battlefront, I played OG battlefront 2 only offline mode for days. The requirement for everything to be based on other people playing online ruins the game after the core players go away. It seems offline games are not what they used to be. Rip socom, and original rainbow 6 games.

Borophagus Metropolis

The last prehistoric floofy woof of FAF
Too many social game Mechanics. Like battlefront, I played OG battlefront 2 only offline mode for days. The requirement for everything to be based on other people playing online ruins the game after the core players go away. It seems offline games are not what they used to be. Rip socom, and original rainbow 6 games.

I've been playing COD Black Ops offline for two weeks. I've played the campaign through on ever difficulty level. I can only make it to level 2 in the zombie outbreak mode because it's designed for team play. It's getting old.

Ratt Carry

These are just things I either see that massively take over genres I've liked or I run into with games I bought

-Unskippable cutscenes
-Modern open "worlds"
-Fetch quests in games that aren't MMO's
-Crafting
-Too much dialogue (as in forced exposition, not optional side quests)
-Too many cutscenes
-Procedural generation
-Waifu focus in shmups
-AI partners 100% of the time
-Lack of journal system
-"Casual game with no tension or combat just relax and take in the big empty world with no objective"
-Excessive amounts of walking
-Quests that are "go here...talk, go there...talk, go back here...talk, 'OH SHIT! FIVE WHOLE ENEMIES WHAT ARE THEY DOING HERE!?', watch a cutscene, next act of the game".
-Stunted jumps that serve no purpose
-Ridiculously overpowered buffer systems
-Hipfire being unnaturally gimped in shooters that aren't even close to realistic enough to warrant the forced ADS making the mechanic pointless altogether.
-Awful UI's

Some of these have exceptions. I know I have shit loads more and a lot of specifics too.

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
Shooters that rely on rpg mechanics. (Just feels off to shoot someone point blank with a shotgun, only to see their health bar shrink by a fraction of an inch)
I love RPG shooters, but this is something I agree with. I find it irritating if I'm new to the game.

Ratt Carry

"Find 500 of X item throughout our world. Don't worry though, there's absolutely no point to finding them all. Also they're in spots so obvious you only need a pulse and 2x2 vision to obtain them."

Huh? Hand crafted meaningful content to fill up your time instead of padded fodder that's 80% of the game? Fruitful exploration that isn't just sight seeing? I'm...not getting you. We're only a AAA studio, man. We're trying to bolster engagement, immersion, and some other buzzword the suits tell us makes game journalists wet."

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
For RTS games, the "all seeing AI", oh I have all these stealth tanks in CNC3, oh but the AI is sending several mammoth tanks to the top of the map to intercept them even though they're supposedly supposed to be cloaked and not on radar?

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
There are game mechanics I've noticed where some powerful boss, AI, or any foe damages you to a point where it reduces your health to a specific percentage such as 8%, regardless if you have specs and items aiding in higher health and resistance, thus making them useless in such encounters.

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
optimizing builds based on someone's guide. It isnt my preferred way to play.
keep thy meta. let me try things and see what can work.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
optimizing builds based on someone's guide. It isnt my preferred way to play.
keep thy meta. let me try things and see what can work.

I hate "rigid" metas, and players who chase the meta. One issue with Warhammer 40,000 tabletop that my friends cause in TTS.

AceQuorthon

International Man Of Mystery
Multiplayer FPS games with no sense of strategy, like the later Battlefield games where everyone on both teams are just running around the place trying to capture control points. I love my multiplayer FPS games with a clear goal in mind for both teams, like attack or defense.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Multiplayer FPS games with no sense of strategy, like the later Battlefield games where everyone on both teams are just running around the place trying to capture control points. I love my multiplayer FPS games with a clear goal in mind for both teams, like attack or defense.

Try Planetside 2, you have to coordinate entire assaults.

BigFuzzyBenji

*Hugger*
Slow to respond/non-"snappy" menus. "Laggy" menus, perhaps. If I push down on the menu to select another option, and there is a visible delay between my input and the menu selection, I'm usually put off that game right away.

Snowcloud33

Maybe unpopular opinion. Flashy weapon skins, character skins, or vehicle paint jobs. Too much flashy bling in games makes me feel like I’m playing gta online instead of old school feel of world at war or battlefield bad company 2. I’m looking at you rainbow six, warzone, and now new battlefield probably, the pre order stuff looks just over the top and too much for me.

but like I said unpopular opinion.

Khione Frostfang

Moody Leopardess - Approach with caution!
Instant death attacks. This can fuck right on OFF! Had this shit since RE1, and it's still in the games!

Resident Evil 1, Remake, Director's Cut:

- Cunters α aka. Hunter α (MA-121) Kubitori (Japanese sword terminology for decapitation.) - Instant death attack - Even if you use cheats, they can still kill ya!

- Chimera - Suspended from the ceiling - Instant death

- Neptune - Swallow from head - Instant death

- Cerberus Throat tearing and eating - Instant death

- Ticks (Sega Saturn version only) - Neck cut - Instant death

- Yawn (first boss) - Swallowing from the head - Instant death (this'll happen if you're down to 25% health - in Danger status)

- Tyrant T-002 Model - Super Tyrant - Continuous claw attack (RE 2002 remake) - Instant death - Grab - Instant death

and so on.

Ratt Carry

Sick of every game being a rogue today. Any game that looks like a classic style title I'd find appealing, I look at the tags or description and see "X game with a rogue twist".
So like the last 40 games that released in the span of me typing this? Not exactly a "twist" anymore when every genre has done it in excess already.

Khione Frostfang

Moody Leopardess - Approach with caution!
Cash grabs my friend, cash grabs.

Though I do hate how only some games got a damn Wii release and not Gamecube when mine was working.