• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What are your preferred character builds and play styles? (For any game)

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
Time for another video game thread \ ( : D ) /

The topic for this is something I'm interested in discussing: What are your play styles and how do you build your characters?

Do you prefer stealth, and long range sniping, or are you into close melee combat?

Do you prefer magical skills, or are you loyal to your sword and shield to get the job done?

This is mainly for discussing RPGs but is pretty much applicable to any game that gives you variety of options on how to overcome challenges and foes.

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
Unstoppable juggernaut who survives purely by murdering everything in sight before they have time to register what's going on.

Like I almost exclusively play Vanguard in Mass Effect because Biotic Charge is absolutely fucking broken in that regard.
I love a good tank build too.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Whatever build does not require me planning out the next 12+ hours of gameplay just so that I can enjoy the game 12+ hours from now.

I do not necessarily mind a game wherein enemies arbitrarily get more powerful to keep up with a character's power progression. I do not mind a game having certain builds that are more - or less - effective than others. I do mind a progression system of "Surprise: Trick question. After your first two levels everything else requires a dedicated and specific build else you will have to reroll / revert to old saves to avoid softlocking yourself". Bonus "For fuck's sake" points if it's a system bloated to hell and back from expansion packs, supplementary material, et al (I'm looking at you, 3.PF) and you can fuck yourself over before you've even got out of character generation by picking things that you were ostensibly told are the right idea ("Right so I'm going to take a fighter who has good Strength, Constitution, and... let's say is Charismatic, so Charisma, that way I can-" "Lol you can't even skill monkey and have shit Will saves. Want my help making an actually useful character once they die?").

With this said, when the above is not a concern, I tend to go for ranged (both in regards to missile weapons and overall melee reach) and stealth is often seen as preferential to brute strength in first playthroughs (in no small part to gauge just how unforgiving the system / game is towards combat, resources, etcetera).

sausy1

i'm fine
Ranged, Technicals, and Combo Characters

However, I've been playing the Tinkerer from Gloomhaven, and I really like the contrast between helpful support moves and big power moves.
I guess I like characters that can be played aggressively and defensively on the spot.

Rejic13

Daddy Dragon
If I can, I like the "minionmancer" types. Give me someone who can summon things. Or control minions. Necromancers. Drone controllers. Golems. You name it, I'm gonna be playing that.

If that's not an option, then I do regularly lean towards more ranged builds or magic builds depending on what the system has to offer.

Balskarr

The Lurking Hooman
Bruisers. All the way. Give and take.

Heavy armor, a weapon that gets people to ask if I'm overcompensating and a lot of health or sustain is what I enjoy most.

I love to be in the thick of it, protecting the team and taking damage while putting just as much back out. This all being made all that much better is I have some kind of counter move to turn an enemy's attack against it.

RPG I usually prefer stealthy method, and when in combat like to maneuver around, keeping distance, and strike when there's an opening with critical hits and poison.

FPS games is more of the same, I choose suppressed weapons, and prefer to take out targets from blind spots and their rear.

Rayd

philosophy & psychology nerd
minion mechanics in general are seriously under-represented in video games and i think it's because they're always pretty weak, as it's pretty difficult to balance that sort of thing, but regardless, whenever it's available i instantly gravitate towards it. it's a breath of fresh air from the usual classes and i just really enjoy the feeling of stacking the odds against the opponent as opposed to the other way around, as is usual.

but seeing as that is typically not among the mechanics of most games, i usually go for unorthodox playstyles that make me feel like the enemies are playing my game as opposed to me playing theirs. i like to feel in control and like i have the leverage. i enjoy classes or builds that encourage smart, rewarding and dynamic playstyles so that it never really gets stale. so if you put any kind of class, mechanic or anything of the sort in your game that makes me feel like a master strategist, i'm all in.

Depends on the game, for example, in KOTOR2, F:NV and Planescape Torment i rather do more talking than fighting since it rewards you with interesting dialogue and world building. But in more action oriented RPGs i preffer to play as a glass cannon, idk why but i really like being stupidly strong but unable to take many hits, maybe thats why i liked to play as an ADC back when i used to have fun in LoL lmao

oappo

Really depends on the game.

I tend to favour melee, high-damage characters(I'm talking about big damage in a single hit), reliability, defensive options and long range. Not necessarily at the same time of course.

Jackpot Raccuki

Fucking Racon
Barrelmancy.

I like being a speedy boi with high damage. But often games that have such mechanics have those horrible things where an enemy spawns on your ass and you just die.

uwuellis

Squawky
I am 100% a dedicated healer through and throughout. If there's a healer in a game, I'm it. I fell in love with healing in World of Warcraft. It's so intense and you are the backbone of your group. If you mess up, everyone falls. I find it to easily be the most intense role in the game. Same thing with Team Fortress 2, I am the biggest healer main and almost exclusively play him. I've even commissioned art for my Medic cosmetic loadout haha. I want everyone to be healthy :3.

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
Long range sniping. Ranged DPS. Healer is pretty fun.

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
This thread is intriguing! Must say a thankies for the OP for providing such an opportunity, meowies! ^w^

If allowed, I prefer to focus all the stats into damage or attack speed(or delay/reload), the second priority is the mobility.

Get in, slam, get out! Make it quick, don't get hit! ÒwÓ
Otherwise, stay low, slap slap slap!

In short, assassin or ranged dealer.

So.. if I ever get hit.... Oww..

Last edited:

Balskarr

The Lurking Hooman
I am 100% a dedicated healer through and throughout. If there's a healer in a game, I'm it. I fell in love with healing in World of Warcraft. It's so intense and you are the backbone of your group. If you mess up, everyone falls. I find it to easily be the most intense role in the game. Same thing with Team Fortress 2, I am the biggest healer main and almost exclusively play him. I've even commissioned art for my Medic cosmetic loadout haha. I want everyone to be healthy :3.
Being a healer is quite the thankless job from both experience and all I've seen. So I'll give my thanks for your work here as I always appreciate those in the supportive roles.

uwuellis

Squawky
Being a healer is quite the thankless job from both experience and all I've seen. So I'll give my thanks for your work here as I always appreciate those in the supportive roles.
Thank you ^w^. In Team Fortress 2 I get a lot of praise, mostly thanks to the *Thanks!* voice command. But sometimes while healing, in any game, you catch shit. I always just say “Should I leave then?” and I’ve never had anyone say yes or respond lol.

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
Hoping to bring this back.

Im very into creating elemental or damage over time builds, especially if shock/lightning is an option. I find it’s a very enjoyable play style, and the graphics when you apply their effects are always visually pleasing, such as igniting something, or casting a powerful spell.

Apart from that, whatever game I’m playing, my first goal is to acquire a skill that provides a way self healing, so I don’t have to rely on finding first aid to survive all the time.

Last edited:

Rimna

Well-Known Monkey
I missed seeing this thread somehow... I was just nerding out about this in a discord server yesterday...

In multiplayer games, I usually play as a support team member. Doesn't matter if I'm actually playing a hero/champion designed to be a support or not - my style revolves around supporting my team. In League of Legends, which is the main game I play nowadays - in the 5v5 classic mode, I do pick the support role and I usually pick support characters that revolve around casting shields and offer mobility to their team, or who have strong zoning spells - wide area of effect.

My main goal is to piss off the enemy team as much as possible in the shortest amount of time, so that they start focusing me - in the hopes that my team will pick up on it and clean them up.

However, way back when I was heavily involved in World of Warcraft arenas - talking about the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, I reached a point where I just snapped one day. I leveled up a glasscanon damage spellcaster, and I killed everything that stood in our way in the 2v2 arena bracket. It is the only time I've went for a full damage role. And I was pretty damn good at it.

For single player games - well it depends, but I do like to play whatever is the most powerful build/hero in the game.

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
I like playing durable characters. Like tanks, big shields, defensive/utility spells.

Then sometimes i like playing nimble characters, those that can access all parts of the playing area relatively easy.

I definately try to get those two aspects to work on a single character when the options present themselves.