• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What bothers you the most about the furry fandom?

What bothers you the most about the furry fandom?

• Total voters

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Bawwing? Thats a new one to me.

I /really/ dont feel like getting caught up in an otherkin V therian debate, I dont know much of anything about the history of these groups, and I dont want to know for a reason, its non of my concern. I know there is a shit-ton of bad blood between the three groups, and I honestly dont want to be involved in it, I certainly see your point.

Most of the otherkin I know, and regularly hang out with, are also furries, and are some of the most friendly and down-to-earth people I know. But I have met many who I feel bring needless problems down on the rest of us.

Its just how I see them, because of the traits we have in common, our affinity for animals for example, if Im wrong, fair enough.

Oh I have seen that happen, its the reason I dont frequent those sites, you end up with the admins siding with "the whole pack of otherkin" and accusing you of starting drama. But I have had the same kind of anti-otherkin issues with some furries that (along with my misanthropic and deeply cynical nature) fueled my anti-fur complex for months.

All I can say really is, get to know me before you judge me personally

Sorry to jump in to you two's conversation...but when one group poses a group, otherkin, therian or furry in another light, it's really hard to change one's negative opinion because of their encounters.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Most of the poll options are everywhere as well.
I mean, if you want to see some real persecution complexes, look at fundamentalist Christians.
Hey! I resemble that remark. ;)

Carenath

Cynical Dragon
Dude, I get it that your Christian parents/relatives think you're Satan because you're a fur, or gay or because you've ever worn the color black. And I understand that Christians at your school think you're demon possessed, that your Christian friends have all turned their backs on you and that your church burned an image of you in effigy during every Sunday service for the last 3 years.

But seriously, we're not all that way. Not even all fundamentalist Christians (and yes, I am one) are that way. Many of us are quite open minded. Some of us are even furs ourselves.
I know that, my whole family is Catholic, and most of them would have no problems knowing about me, particularly if I was to explain it in terms they could understand. I have also met a self-confessed evangelical christian who has no qualms with calling the police if he sees two gay men kissing in public, the act is apparently illegal in his state. He knows what I am, he doesnt care, he doesnt judge me for not sharing his beliefs and I respect him for that, I respect his beliefs and his choices, even if I disagree with them.

That said, I know two others, who are not as tolerant or accepting, they take the Bible like it is the literal word and law. They say I am a sinner and I am evil because I lust for dragons, because I believe I have a dragons soul, and because I am bisexual. They keep trying to convert me, going on about how Jesus loves me and God loves me, with the implication that non-christians are sinners and will go to hell. My religious affiliation, is apathetic agnostic, and that is what I am happy with, my own spiritual self-discovery which has lead me to believe I posess a draconic soul.

As long as you guys stop trying to convert me, and berating me for my choices and beliefs, I will respect and tolerate your rights to be different and to believe different. If you are not one of those self-righteous types, then I have no problem with you.

Sorry to jump in to you two's conversation...but when one group poses a group, otherkin, therian or furry in another light, it's really hard to change one's negative opinion because of their encounters.
I can say the same, i have met a number of furries that fueled my hatred for the entire fandom, in part because they took immediate offence because of my beliefs, they choose to prejudge me because of what I believed, mock and insult me etc... completely ignoring their hypocrisy considering that these same furries would whine and bitch as soon as you mentioned that episode of CSI to them.

Kanin

B is for Bull****
I think it's fine to use wolves and foxes for your fursona, just personalize it more.

Last edited:

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
I can say the same, i have met a number of furries that fueled my hatred for the entire fandom, in part because they took immediate offence because of my beliefs, they choose to prejudge me because of what I believed, mock and insult me etc... completely ignoring their hypocrisy considering that these same furries would whine and bitch as soon as you mentioned that episode of CSI to them.

The CSI episode. It was lulzy at best, but if they have a "Fursecution" complex when it comes to that topic that's their own issue.

I admit, I do have an Unfriendly/Hostile disposition with them due to some lurking, and even meeting a few in real life at a camp I went to and at AC lat year. I know that not all are assholes and retards who think they are more special than anyone else because of their spirituality.

Furries fuel the same thing, and I have met some who treat it as a fandom...but slowly my disposition changes.

Last edited:

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard

south syde dobe

4th Elite General
Yeah the furry words make furries look like retards on crack, honestly I hope furries really don't use those words in actually conversation =.=

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
Bawwing? Thats a new one to me.

I /really/ dont feel like getting caught up in an otherkin V therian debate, I dont know much of anything about the history of these groups, and I dont want to know for a reason, its non of my concern. I know there is a shit-ton of bad blood between the three groups, and I honestly dont want to be involved in it, I certainly see your point.

Most of the otherkin I know, and regularly hang out with, are also furries, and are some of the most friendly and down-to-earth people I know. But I have met many who I feel bring needless problems down on the rest of us.

Its just how I see them, because of the traits we have in common, our affinity for animals for example, if Im wrong, fair enough.

Oh I have seen that happen, its the reason I dont frequent those sites, you end up with the admins siding with "the whole pack of otherkin" and accusing you of starting drama. But I have had the same kind of anti-otherkin issues with some furries that (along with my misanthropic and deeply cynical nature) fueled my anti-fur complex for months.

All I can say really is, get to know me before you judge me personally

With the bad blood that runs between the three...that is kind of why I prefer people to just keep them separate discussion wise. Each one is distinctly different.

As for an affinity for animals, I must stop and point out there that just because there are many people out in the fandom that have a shared interest, does not make that shared interest relevant or part of the fandom. I am a gamer. Gaming is not part of the fandom. In that same respect having an affinity for animals is not part of the fandom.

I enjoy being around furries sometimes because it can often be easier in my area to find other level headed gamers within it. I enjoy that shared thing. I enjoy being around other furries because at least in my area they tend to have an affinity for animals. However I am completely aware that both things are not really associated with being a furry or part of the fandom. I wish other would be high minded enough to stop assimilated every little thing they like into the fandom. If they did we wouldn't be the fetish dump we are.

The closest thing each group has in common to each other is a shared use of Anthropomorphic Animals. Therians like Goldenwolf make art that has more to do with spirituality than anything else. I do believe Otherkin will do the same thing, and also engage in a sort of collecting or hoarding thing that so many furries engage in.

The very sites you don't frequent are the ones who give the Otherkin group as a whole a really really bad name. I keep seeing offshoots from some of these BS sites showing up in another place that I frequent online and it's inane how full of themselves these people are.

I can understand why you can be anti-fur, because at some points I can be that way too. I would ask of you to understand at least why I and others have an anti-otherkin thing going on too.

As for judging? Who is judging you? I'm not. I'm just stating my piece. At no point have I thrown out a fallacious blanket statement that "All Otherkin" are this, and several times I have pointed out "In my experience so far", and also pointed out "Not all are like that".

Otherkin have the same issue that furries do, it's something I cannot stand, in that just because something is similar does not mean you should auto assimilate it. If it is not part of us, it's not part of us. Diversity is the spice of life people, don't ruin it.

Felicia Mertallis

Aslan made me a furfag
Maybe ist just because I have tits but..
THE FUCKING FEMALE TO MALE RATIO.
Also, you know, I love gay men, I'm a fag hag at heart, but when i walked into further confusion for the first time, it had the feeling of an all out gay bar.
and thats pretty discouraging for someone who kiiinda wants to date another furry.

oh, and unoriginal fursonas. yeah, i understand if your spirit animal is just a normal old fox or husky, but you as a person are unique so the specific persona you put in should be something like that, rather then just reflecting the simple flatness of your power animal.
D: /rant rant rant over.

Felicia Mertallis

Aslan made me a furfag
Yeah, I looked at the stats from the furry survey, and its like 80:20!
Yeah, I mean its not like I feel forced into it at all, since I identify as transgendered, but for me, being a shemale fursona seems like the only way I could ever stand up and meet the fact that us girls in the fandom are def. outnumbered.
And I guess I don't even count since I see myself as a shemale.

Just goes to show once again how small the number of females is to males.
D:

Aestuo

Maybe ist just because I have tits but..
THE FUCKING FEMALE TO MALE RATIO.
Also, you know, I love gay men, I'm a fag hag at heart, but when i walked into further confusion for the first time, it had the feeling of an all out gay bar.
and thats pretty discouraging for someone who kiiinda wants to date another furry.

oh, and unoriginal fursonas. yeah, i understand if your spirit animal is just a normal old fox or husky, but you as a person are unique so the specific persona you put in should be something like that, rather then just reflecting the simple flatness of your power animal.
D: /rant rant rant over.

That is exactly what I did. I added a labcoat to symbolize my love for science and physics. I am currently making an improved, more personal, more individualized one that will stand out more. I hate being generic, which is mostly why I chose a grey fox. The other fox species are not as aparent as red foxes. There are way to many red foxes.

There are a lot of people who do not know what species to chose, so they immediately default to either fox or wolf. As previously posted, there are many other species that are most likely more fitting to some people than a fox or a wolf. A fox just worked out well and fitted me best, so that is why I chose to be one. I contemplated my species options for weeks, and I settled on a fox. Do not condem me for being unorginal, for I think that my fox is very orginal. How many foxes do you see wearing labcoats? (retorical) XD

Felicia Mertallis

Aslan made me a furfag
That is exactly what I did. I added a labcoat to symbolize my love for science and physics. I am currently making an improved, more personal, more individualized one that will stand out more. I hate being generic, which is mostly why I chose a grey fox. The other fox species are not as aparent as red foxes. There are way to many red foxes.

There are a lot of people who do not know what species to chose, so they immediately default to either fox or wolf. As previously posted, there are many other species that are most likely more fitting to some people than a fox or a wolf. A fox just worked out well and fitted me best, so that is why I chose to be one. I contemplated my species options for weeks, and I settled on a fox. Do not condem me for being unorginal, for I think that my fox is very orginal. How many foxes do you see wearing labcoats? (retorical) XD

Dude, like as long as you customize to fit you as the person you already are, I see no problem with it.
:D

Yeah, I mean its not like I feel forced into it at all, since I identify as transgendered, but for me, being a shemale fursona seems like the only way I could ever stand up and meet the fact that us girls in the fandom are def. outnumbered.
And I guess I don't even count since I see myself as a shemale.

Just goes to show once again how small the number of females is to males.
D:

That just means that as a woman you have your pick of all the pathetic, socially retarded greasy land whales that make up the male furry population, you might even find one that showers :V .

Aurali

Banned
Banned
what bothers me of course is all the posers in the fandom.. all the wanna bes trying to be cool and all the desperate for attention furs trying to latch on to the most significant thing they can and pulling themselves up with it.

what bothers me of course is all the posers in the fandom.. all the wanna bes trying to be cool and all the desperate for attention furs trying to latch on to the most significant thing they can and pulling themselves up with it.

How fucking pathetic would a person have to be to think pretending to be a furry could make them cool D: ?

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Yeah, I looked at the stats from the furry survey, and it's like 20:80!
Yeah, I have to agree. The m/f ratio is a bit troublesome, especially for those of us who happen to be male & straight.

Tho the bigger issue for me with respect to dating a fur is the age of most furs. I'm 35. Finding single female furs isn't all that hard if you look hard enough, but most are between 17 & 23 (basically, college age.) Finding single furs (of any gender!) over 30 is much much more difficult!

Yeah, I'm sure I could find a young single female fur who'd be willing to date someone close to 15 years her senior. But in truth, even if I could find someone like that, I'd rather find someone closer to my age.

Hence the reason I'm not really set on dating a fur. I'd be willing if given the chance, but I'd rather spend my time & energy looking for someone my age, be they a fur or not.

I suppose that's how I'd approach the m/f ratio issue even if I WAS 18. Yeah, dating a fur'd be great. But is it really all that important? Wouldn't it be OK to date a non-fur who's cool with (and possibly even likes) your furry side? After all, if you're waiting to date a female clone of yourself... you can expect to be single for a LOOOOONG time.

Last edited:

Aestuo

Dude, like as long as you customize to fit you as the person you already are, I see no problem with it.
:D

Yea, I did not think that you would. I just wanted to post that to explain that I chose a fox on purpose, not because everyone else is or something illogical like that. Either way, people need to take into account that there are other species out there besides the popular ones, and one of those species may fit a person better than one of the common ones. I did not find one, so I chose to become an uncommon common one. rofl

Anyway, a fox fits me well. For me, the most appealing aspect of the fandom is how everyone has an animal/anthro fursona to describe them. Just one look at a good avatar and I can usually tell what type of personality the person has, what the person's interests may be, etc. With that said, of course I am going to have a very individual fursona. That is about it for my defense in choosing a fox and not something less common. By personalizing my fursona, I am making a common fox into an individual projection of myself. XD

Carenath

Cynical Dragon
With the bad blood that runs between the three...that is kind of why I prefer people to just keep them separate discussion wise. Each one is distinctly different.
Smart choice, though (assuming I am correct) you would be one of the only therians that I have met and had a proper discussion with.. and I tend to keep furries and otherkin as seperate entities, though lately I have come to agree with a close friend of mine, that in a lot of cases it can be argued that the two groups fall under the same umbrella, which is my experience of things.

As for an affinity for animals, I must stop and point out there that just because there are many people out in the fandom that have a shared interest, does not make that shared interest relevant or part of the fandom. I am a gamer. Gaming is not part of the fandom. In that same respect having an affinity for animals is not part of the fandom.
I was only using it as an example, there are a number of elements that furs and otherkin share in common, that in combination with otherkin hanging around sites like this, blur the lines between the two groups and make it very easy from someone from either side, to assume that the two are one of the same, or at the very least related to each other.

I enjoy being around furries sometimes because it can often be easier in my area to find other level headed gamers within it. I enjoy that shared thing. I enjoy being around other furries because at least in my area they tend to have an affinity for animals. However I am completely aware that both things are not really associated with being a furry or part of the fandom. I wish other would be high minded enough to stop assimilated every little thing they like into the fandom. If they did we wouldn't be the fetish dump we are.
Most otherkin I know either strongly avoid the fur fandom outright, or consider themselves just as much a part of it, blurring the lines between the two.

The closest thing each group has in common to each other is a shared use of Anthropomorphic Animals. Therians like Goldenwolf make art that has more to do with spirituality than anything else. I do believe Otherkin will do the same thing, and also engage in a sort of collecting or hoarding thing that so many furries engage in.
I respectfully disagree, otherkin dont share the use of Anthropomorphic animals with furries, in general, otherkin always portray their animal past-lives as I do, purely feral. Anthro, is a purely furry thing, but I wouldnt know if it bleeds into therianism much as I am neither a therian, nor do I know any or the group with any level of detail to say such. However otherkin artists like Silvermoon and Athus, draw as an expression of their spirituality, and they tend to put a bit of their soul into their art, and they have traits that tend to align with their animal counterparts. The best way I can put it, is that otherkin are like a blend of their animal and human sides, and express both.. which is probably why some confuse otherkin with Therians.

The very sites you don't frequent are the ones who give the Otherkin group as a whole a really really bad name. I keep seeing offshoots from some of these BS sites showing up in another place that I frequent online and it's inane how full of themselves these people are.
I couldnt agree with you more *cough* DR *cough* though not all the otherkin sites are as bad and I can name a few decent ones.

I can understand why you can be anti-fur, because at some points I can be that way too. I would ask of you to understand at least why I and others have an anti-otherkin thing going on too.
I dont have an anti-fur complex, at least, not anymore. While there are some aspects of the fandom that I do find repugnant for various reasons, I wouldnt consider myself anti-fur. I can understand, and you've explained things better than most others, but I hope you can understand my not wanting to be tarred with the same brush most furs and others tar otherkin with, because I can name many examples of otherkin/dragonkin who are fine examples of how otherkin should behave.

As for judging? Who is judging you? I'm not. I'm just stating my piece. At no point have I thrown out a fallacious blanket statement that "All Otherkin" are this, and several times I have pointed out "In my experience so far", and also pointed out "Not all are like that".
I was merely making a preemptive statement, calling for others not to judge me just because of their bad experiences with other otherkin, because they are not alone I can name a few who I can honestly say are no better than 4 year old children.

Otherkin have the same issue that furries do, it's something I cannot stand, in that just because something is similar does not mean you should auto assimilate it. If it is not part of us, it's not part of us. Diversity is the spice of life people, don't ruin it.
At least we can agree on that.

Greasemunky

Banned
Banned
I hate when people obsessively use the speech around me, and how so many people forget that it's a fandom, and not a full blown culture, subculture at most.

Jonnaius

The talking thing seriously annoys me. I mean, come on guys, yiff? Its sex, it will always be sex, it always has been sex, so why get apparent fox noises changing the word?

The fact that I now cannot hear the word 'Knot' without shuddering is also no help - especially since I'm a scout....

Also, about the fox thing? The only reason I'm a fox is because the guy who helped me find the fandom drew a fox 'sona for me, and then dissapeared. Since I can't draw, I'm stuck with foxes really. I would like to change to a Lynx though - that original or not? I'm not sure :p