• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What computer programs do some of you guys use?

I already play the cello, but I'm saving up for a computer so I can also make art and music. What (inexpensive) programs do you suggest?

Draven S.

It depends on what kind of music you're wanting to make. I've been using Fl Studio 11 for over 3 years now, but I know it's not for everybody. I make a lot of Techno/House music on Fl, but I also make Rock and such on it every once in a while. What kind of genres are you interested in learning to produce?

Your best bet is to look at as much DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) as you can and just decide for yourself what is your best bet. I can't really make the decision for you because there are so many options. Just do some research and figure it out for yourself :)

It depends on what kind of music you're wanting to make. I've been using Fl Studio 11 for over 3 years now, but I know it's not for everybody. I make a lot of Techno/House music on Fl, but I also make Rock and such on it every once in a while. What kind of genres are you interested in learning to produce?

Your best bet is to look at as much DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) as you can and just decide for yourself what is your best bet. I can't really make the decision for you because there are so many options. Just do some research and figure it out for yourself :)
Thanks. That's really helpful!
I'd like to do a mix of rave and orchestral music. ^^

Draven S.

Thanks. That's really helpful!
I'd like to do a mix of rave and orchestral music. ^^

That's an interesting mix of genres! Hope that you figure it all out :p If you're having any troubles figuring anything out then you can always PM me. I'd be glad to help! ^^

That's an interesting mix of genres! Hope that you figure it all out :p If you're having any troubles figuring anything out then you can always PM me. I'd be glad to help! ^^
Okay. Thank you so much! ^-^

Hai. There is a lot of programs for composing. I myself use Ableton + Renoise in a combination. Your choice depends on the purpose. If you are going just to mix samples - even Audacity is enough for you. But I think you're not. Then, the leaders are FL Studio, Ableton and Cubase. FL ~= Ableton, they have slightly different logic, but they are mainly 4 electronic music composers. IMHO Ableton provides better sample-bending opportunities then FL. And cubase is more suitable for live recordings - not working with samples & VST Synths (but this is possible). Aaaaand is EXTREMELY expensive and NOT hackable. I think, FL or Ableton might be just the thing for you. Or get the free Renoise or Modplug and be HARDCORE AS HELL. PM me if you have any questions bro ∑":>

missprint

Transit
If you are looking for the best DAW in the world?

You will never find it.

If you are looking for a cheap DAW..... you will end up buying one anyway....

If you want suggestions.... The best way to do it is to download a demo of the program before you decide on one.

At least FL Studio allows you to download a demo version. I am not too sure about the other programs.

I know hip hop guys like the Pro sessions DAW.

Deadmou5 started on FL Studio.

Every artist is using one, two, or three different DAW's. But like I said you will end up buying one.

BUT REMEMBER! Each DAW has its own learning curve. Some are steeper curves than another. It all depends on how well you utilize the DAW.

Pro tip: When you buy your first DAW.... make sure to check for past, upcoming, or present specials. Every turn of the year a new deal comes out on the DAW's. You might be able to save a bit more money than just hastly going out and buying one.

None. FL is for Windows. (actually, NOT for any gnu-linux-based OS, and mac OS is one). Only solution is to install Wine for mac. Then, install FL with WineBottler and pray to whoever you can pray to that it will work. I installed FL 9 3 years ago like this. No other way, not kidding. Don't know what's up with newer versions.

Z-Mizz

Monkey Magic c(^o^)ɔ
I currently use FL Studio 10 - Producers Edition. I know a lot of pro's consider FL Studio to be a n00b program, but it gets the job done. I'm just making music for a video game, so it's no big deal for me.

Can FL10 do chip tune and that sort of retro 8-bit sound?

Faunosaurus

ALL LOSERS WILL BE DESTROYED
Can FL10 do chip tune and that sort of retro 8-bit sound?
That's all depending on what you use to make it. FL Studio and other DAWs are just a platform: what actually MAKES the sounds depends on what VSTs and samples you use.

ZacAttackk

professional procrastinator
I use Cubase 8 Pro (but that's quite expensive for a starter), however you can get Cubase 8 Elements for much cheaper prices and it should do the same thing but with more limitations. Cubase is VERY good, I have been using it for a few years now and it has done its job well. In Cubase 8 you can record Midi, edit the midi directly (you don't need a keyboard to make soundtracks), have over 1,000 instrument & drum kit sounds (as well as the option to create your own synth waveforms), record sounds directly into the program and edit the sounds, apply hundreds of filters and change them dynamically, the list goes on.
Me using Midi in Cubase: https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fzacattackhirst%2Flobby-game
A few days ago I ordered Sibelius First off Amazon to do score sheets, that has a relatively low price for what you can do. The sounds aren't 10/10, but decent, and it's not a program where you can record instruments and apply filters and stuff, it's just for making scores.
Me using Sibelius (used another version of it at school): https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fzacattackhirst%2Foverdrive

Experimentonomen

I use FL Studio, paid for version 11 producer edition. I have "borrowed" Reveal Sound Spire, Lennar Digital Sylenth1 and a few other vsts from torrent sites as it feels wromg buying them before i even know how to use them other than the factory banks.
I did buy IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonik though as it was about the price of a candy bar.

Been trying to learn this music proction stuffz for litttle over 3 years now, starting at square zero with no music theory what so ever.

Faunosaurus

ALL LOSERS WILL BE DESTROYED
Yep. Fruity loops has a fruity 3xosc channel that lets you create sine, square, saw, and white noise for retro sounding music.
Actually, 3xOSC has been updated to be able to do sawtooths as well. And also, you can insert your own waveshapes into it if you like.

Experimentonomen

True. Not to mention Nexus which is $499, or was something like that last time i checked, where you cannot even make your own sounds, just ever so slightly alter the existing ones. One downside with romplers.

Anyways heres a tutorial based track i threw together during the weekend, using mainly Reveal Sound Spire, note that i know nothing about synthesis so i just went through the factory banks as i'd just be wasting my time trying to make my own soundz.

It's based on a tutorial from yt user Maik's Trance Bar, and i have posted it to him in the comments of that video so that he can let me know if he wants it taken down or not.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fexperimentonomen%2Fmonotony-1

Last edited: