• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What defines a "Unique fursona?"

-Censored-

Tear Streaked Panda
I have my fursona, a panda. He's simple but unique to me. But what do you consider to be unique?

shapeless0ne

it's a moth! it a dragon! no, it's a avali boi!
anything that isn't canine in any way shape or form pretty much.

Unique is a very lose term. I would have to say it depends.
I'd say you lose points of originality if you go with a canine and their predictable colors.
If your fursona is a husky with a collar, with traditional black/white colors, it's not considered unique.
However, what truly makes characters unique are the personalities assigned to them.
A good example of this would be "Buddy"
al__biogodz__and_buddy_by_spartan_5-d8y7hk3.jpg

He is a somewhat-known fursuiter whose fursona is just a traditional husky, but his mannerisms and videos come through as entertaining to watch! Although at first sight he seems very flat as a character, I'd say he's very easy to love after interacting with him.

Now, if you're thinking of "unique" in the traditional sense, usually anything that's A) Not a dog B) Some natural colors and some vibrant colors
Then Telephone is a great example.
07acfdd634279520045879fa07012551.jpg
As far as I know, Telephone does not speak and stays in character throughout entire cons. The species is an "angel dragon" which they made up, and the colors, although "natural", are still very flashy (has that WOW effect).
All in all, I'd say it depends.
A unique fursona to me, would need an appealing color palette and a "not husky" look to it, but if someone does have something along those lines, then it would have to be all about the act/portrayal of the fursona. Those are my two cents anyway ;o

shapeless0ne

it's a moth! it a dragon! no, it's a avali boi!
my secondary is a shark, I if I may estimate where about as common as seeing a geeky dude riding on the back of a unicorn in a middle eastern country.

Last edited:

capric0rnus

i think uniqueness is a very subjective subject, and thats cool!!!! people having their own designs and opinions is rad and makes me happy uvu
for me, i like seeing really unused animals! especially when theyre fish or mytho creatures (mine is a mergoat so hes sorta both xD). really cool color palettes are also super awesome!

Caraid

Classy cat
Canines in general aren't unique. Which is why there are sparkledogs because all the other colors or color combinations were taken

Sadly, a lot of people have yet to come to the realization that slapping ridiculous amounts of color and detail onto your character does not make it more unique.

I'm a bit confused about the obsession with "uniqueness" to begin with. My characters have always been whatever I like, or whatever I find looks cool regardless of what else is out there. That's what your character is supposed to be, no? Bits and pieces of "you". Not a snowflake.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I'm just a plain, 'ol black and white skunk, with a pink nose...and yet I feel pretty unique, when I ponder it, but it never was something I factored in, when the fursona came to me. I suppose I chose it because I thought skunks are cute, often misunderstood, nocturnal, peace-loving creatures, but who are ready to defend themselves, and are not afraid of too much. And as pets, skunks can be very friendly; I was also influenced by some neighbors who had a very sweet (de-scented) pet skunk when I was a kid.

I'm just a plain, 'ol black and white skunk, with a pink nose...and yet I feel pretty unique, when I ponder it, but it never was something I factored in, when the fursona came to me. I suppose I chose it because I thought skunks are cute, often misunderstood, nocturnal, peace-loving creatures, but who are ready to defend themselves, and are not afraid of too much. And as pets, skunks can be very friendly; I was also influenced by some neighbors who had a very sweet (de-scented) pet skunk when I was a kid.
Off topic: That's absolutely adorable. Sadly, I've never seen a skunk in my life.

Rythas

Squeaky Angel Durgon
The definition of "unique" is one-of-a-kind or the only one of its kind. To me though, a unique character is one that is different than any seen and one that someone connects to, even if it doesn't look that unique. For example, a plain skunk (d'awww) might be a unique character to have because everyone else makes their own skunks look different.

Wither

Is honestly confused by life.
Contrary to what some may think, making a fox/wolf hybrid or wolf/husky hybrid is still not original.
My absolute favorite are neon Folfskies.

Storok

670 blp
I let my personality be what's unique about me; nobody cares WHY you're your fursona. You think hypothetically that a real anthro would have any choice in the matter? You don't have to be made of neon colors or some mythological beast to be unique; fuck those guys.
you remember @Apex Fox and his fursona which is too sinister

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
I really don't consider anything unique anymore when it comes to this. People try to be unique with obnoxious rainbow patterns and shit but it does nothing more than say "LOOK AT ME I'M SPECIAL!!!!!!"

If you wanna be unique and not look like a special snowflake then I suppose just slight variations on the original fur's patterns. Hell maybe even birth marks or shit.

Fulci Lives

horror obsessed jackal with a taste for gore!
My fursona is a horror obsessed jackal from Cleveland who directs low budget, obscure and nasty horror-exploitation movies with lots of gore, sleaze and sex, all based from a small independent production studio in Cleveland called Madhouse Inc. He has a lot of tattoos of real life sleazy horror films that he's fond of all up and down both of his arms, as well as a tattoo on the back of one hand that says "Fulci" and a tattoo on the back of the other hand that says "Argento", and on his stomach is a tattoo that proclaims "Fulci Lives!". http://manowarriormania.deviantart.com/art/My-Fursona-T-J-Palmer-Art-by-MimzicalWhimsy-604855502

I think he's pretty unique, but it's the personality applied to your fursona at the end of the day that makes him or her unique, not so much the visual design.