• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What defines a "Unique fursona?"

Iracuse

I figure anything can be 'unique', you just have to add your own special flair to it.

Just don't be another wolf / fox, there's way too many of those.

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
Cancerous neon wasn't his problem, he just shopped his shit too hard and perhaps joined the fandom while in middle school.

We've all gone through this phase my friend. Some of us grow out of it and look back upon it.

Wither

Is honestly confused by life.
So unique

i_can_has_sparkledog_too__by_kyomana.png
This made me happy.

shapeless0ne

it's a moth! it a dragon! no, it's a avali boi!
I'd say something about dragons, but this is starting to sound like furry racism.
don't mind me too much, I'm just sour after years of being a "that crazy guy who likes bird butts....." (aka avian)

Buddy? Original? More like original cringe... the only person who's enthusiasm doesn't make me want to shrivel up like a turtle in the desert is this glorious fuck:
NOb6-vbhD_m0Ift44fFsx_32raOG8BuJxKGsEx03zZFwvp34uOnTEtL8bODGWIp3lwt8Zgbl=s630-fcrop64=1,00000000ffbdffff

But at least Buddy doesn't "sing"...

But I absolutely love Telephone.

Can't say I know about him o: To be fair, the last time I actually saw Buddy was when I was 14... maybe he isn't as nice as I remember him.. *COUGH*

NplusD

Honestly I'd have to say when one simply has a design that heavily clicks with them, that they're satisfied with and are more than happy to show off without constantly changing it. Imo, that's a unique sona, as most have multiple or they change it out too often, or don't even really do much with it.

TJwolf123

~Tricky Candy Pup~
I'd say the best way to make your character unique is to tweak their personalities in a way that's different from others. Even add a bit of your own, or add stuff that you never had in your personality! An example, my sona is a pup and extremely hyper and overall wonderful to hang around with. Meanwhile, out of character, I'm quiet and reserved, highly watchful. The same example can be said about Telephone, like what euthanizedCanine said. There's also the grumpy characters!

Ryu Deacon

Director of Furry Statistics
To be clear it really matters not what markings, personalty, flaws, species or what not the Character has, they dont define if the character is unique or not, the balance and combination of those does. And the only thing that can tell you if your character is unique is if it is memorable to others really.

V3N44X

bool n00b = true;
I'd say the best way to make your character unique is to tweak their personalities in a way that's different from others. Even add a bit of your own, or add stuff that you never had in your personality! An example, my sona is a pup and extremely hyper and overall wonderful to hang around with. Meanwhile, out of character, I'm quiet and reserved, highly watchful. The same example can be said about Telephone, like what euthanizedCanine said. There's also the grumpy characters!
I'm probably insane by considering the fursona an extension of myself.

Y

Yukkie

When it comes to looks and everything... Well. Personally I think keeping their fur/scales/feathers/whatever a normal color, or a basic color, (maybe 2-3) rather than throwing fucking rainbows all over them makes them more unique.

Just my personal opinion, though.

Snowbbi

99% fluff
With how many are out there, the only real way for them to be unique is to just have them be like you. I do enjoy looking to see if I can find "nega" versions of myself and my friends though. Even the one of us with the most unique 'sona has one that looks almost exactly like his but with different colouring.

Haven't found one that looks like mine yet though. Long story short, it's the character underneath that makes them special, no need to sweat it if yours looks similar to someone else. It's bound to happen.

ZacAttackk

professional procrastinator
What defines a unique fursona is something that you put effort into thinking about and creating, sometimes thinking outside of the box in terms of their physicality/mentality or backstory (whereas it isn't bad to make a 'normal' character, or for example a fox with regular patterns, as some people in real life just have 'normal' lives that aren't too out of the ordinary, however each person despite their apparent similarities has different characteristics in terms of their personality or physical appearance)

NplusD

With how many are out there, the only real way for them to be unique is to just have them be like you. I do enjoy looking to see if I can find "nega" versions of myself and my friends though. Even the one of us with the most unique 'sona has one that looks almost exactly like his but with different colouring.

Haven't found one that looks like mine yet though. Long story short, it's the character underneath that makes them special, no need to sweat it if yours looks similar to someone else. It's bound to happen.
Nega?

Frosh

polyglot
Unique character is not always a good one. To make something unique is not as difficult as it seems, but to make it truly decent-looking and likeable takes more effort.
There is no "receipt" or "tutorial" on how to make a positively unique-looking character. For the most part it's the creativity of the maker with some fundamental knowledge on character design.

These are the few of my personal requirements for most characters to be considered positively unique:
- The character reference should be drawn by a professional, experienced artist who is able to depict the entire design;
- The character is preferably simple-looking, definitely not overcomplicated;
- There should not be more than 4 main colors for the character's patterns;
- There should be at least one extraordinary design element that helps recognize the character among the similar-looking ones.

Against the common belief, it doesn't make your character generic or common if you let yourself be inspired by other characters, themes or cartoons. You can use minor design parts from others (that are not copyrighted or very typical for the given inspiration) while keeping your character unique by giving those inspired elements a personal touch.

To clarify, the above is an opinion. By all means I do not mean to dictate how to view characters as unique. The concept of uniqueness is relative, it varies for each of us.

LabyrinthMaster

Maze Designer // DDR-ITG Player
As others said, if you can't make a character unique by his physical appearance, it'll be once you give it a personality or even better, if you're up to it, a backstory.
My OC ain't the only silver fox in the fandom. But he is the only silver fox that is a maze designer.