• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What do rainbows mean to you?

D

Deleted member 134556

I know this is quite a random question, but I figure I'd spend my free time asking people. The rainbow is something unique, beautiful, and holds significance to people and places all across the world. In Christianity, it represents Gods promise to never flood the Earth again, while in Norse mythology, a rainbow was a bridge that connected our world to Asgard. The rainbow is depicted as an archer's bow in Hindu myths, for the god of thunder and war, who uses a rainbow to shoot arrows of lightning. In ancient Greek literature, Iris is the personification of the rainbow and a messenger linking the gods to humanity.

In modern times, the rainbow is often used by the LGBTQ community to show pride and solidarity. There are many other uses and symbolic meanings behind rainbows that I'm not aware of, which is why I'm making this thread.

Does it hold spiritual or symbolic significance to you, do you admire it for it's scientific properties, or are you just a fan of all the colors together?

D

Deleted member 82554

It means there is a leprechaun somewhere at the end of it with my pot of gold.

Punji

Daedric Prince of Secrets
Rainbows in general don't really hold a lot of meaning to me personally. You can thank the ridiculous oversaturation of identity politics for that.

However, thinking about it, it does remind me of something a theology professor said in a lecture once.

In Canada, (especially a land-locked province :p), we don't really get heavy tropical storms for obvious reasons. The rainbow appearing after a light rainstorm is kind of neat the first few times but that's it.

In other parts of the word, these storms can be quite bad. Catastrophic and deadly. But once it's over, the people see the rainbow and know that for as bad as it was, it didn't end their world.

They mean humidity in the air is reflecting light and creating a pretty multi-chromatic spectacle...

Smartass aside, it's a symbol for unity because all colors of the rainbow are meant to represent the various colorful people that make up 'the canvas that is humanity'. That's why it was adopted by the LGBT cause. Because nothing better represents the sheer difference of people on Earth and that can be a beautiful thing.

Saokymo

Art Cookie
As a symbol, rainbows represent hope, joy, and unity through diversity to me. In relation to LGBTQ stuff, seeing a bunch of rainbows usually means we’re gathering to have an awesome party somewhere.

Otherwise I just really love all the pretty colors.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Atmospheric moisture causing dispersion of solar rays.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
For me it's two things:
1) Summer.
2) There's been a storm but now it's gone. I can either go outside, or plug the PC back in!

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
That there's a pink fluffy unicorn dancing on it.

Kuuro

Hey man, look at me rocking out!
Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I know this is quite a random question, but I figure I'd spend my free time asking people. The rainbow is something unique, beautiful, and holds significance to people and places all across the world. In Christianity, it represents Gods promise to never flood the Earth again, while in Norse mythology, a rainbow was a bridge that connected our world to Asgard. The rainbow is depicted as an archer's bow in Hindu myths, for the god of thunder and war, who uses a rainbow to shoot arrows of lightning. In ancient Greek literature, Iris is the personification of the rainbow and a messenger linking the gods to humanity.

In modern times, the rainbow is often used by the LGBTQ community to show pride and solidarity. There are many other uses and symbolic meanings behind rainbows that I'm not aware of, which is why I'm making this thread.

Does it hold spiritual or symbolic significance to you, do you admire it for it's scientific properties, or are you just a fan of all the colors together?

Usually it means I'm going to have a good day, as a bright spot of colour in the sky means warm sunlight is on it's way. Beautiful to look at too, and some things just have to be appreciated for that alone. To me it's like a magic trick...I know how it's happening from the simple physics of it, but still it's cool to see live when the conditions are right! Warms the heart and makes me smile always.

oappo

A rainbow is just a beautiful phenomenon to me. I like the colours.

That said, when you think about it, a rainbow is something which seems too fanciful to actually happen in our mundane reality. All the colours of the rainbow coincidentally appearing together? It's sounds like the type of thing you'd see in fantasy.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
A rainbow is just a beautiful phenomenon to me. I like the colours.

That said, when you think about it, a rainbow is something which seems too fanciful to actually happen in our mundane reality. All the colours of the rainbow coincidentally appearing together? It's sounds like the type of thing you'd see in fantasy.
Fantasy exists for a reason, sometimes it's not escapism

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
An obsession of the locals.

Skittles.

That pop-tart cat that endlessly sings a Vocaloid song. (You knew it was only going to be a matter of time.)

And perhaps the most worrying one, that one episode of Rocko's Modern Life where Rocko says he likes them near the end and everyone hates him for it. (I think the episode was called "Closet Clown"?)

metaphysics

To me, it speaks to the beauty of the natural world that phenomena like rainbows form and inspire awe in all of us who view it. It reminds me that we live in a beautiful world indeed; that even though the planet and its inhabitants are far from perfect, this kind of shared wonder makes it all not only bearable, but enjoyable.