• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What do you do about broken nails?

Do you grow out your nails?

• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Acrylics/Fake Nails stop me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I try, they never stay long ):

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Deathless

ĎĴĔVĔĹĔŃ
I've been growing out my nails for the past couple months and they keep breaking. My nails aren't the strongest but they strong enough to last until a certain point.
When my nails break, depending on where and how it broke, like just today my pinkie nail broke nearly in half to the point where it was too short (almost bleeding), so I used super glue to let it grow more until I'm able to cut it with a nail cutter so it's not dangerously short. I know this can be dangerous and stupid but it's just so there's something to protect it from fully and painfully coming off.
How do you cope with broken nails? What do you use/do to protect your nails from breaking?

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I just have short nails. Long nails would be impractical because food would get stuck underneath them, they'd get in the way when I am doing things and so on.

If I do knock a chip out of a nail I try to round it off, because a jagged nail can feel nasty if you scrape it on yourself by accident!

quoting_mungo

Consider what you're doing when you break your nails, and whether you may be able to modify that activity to reduce the risk of breakage. Make sure your diet has enough of all vitamins and nutrients your body needs - if your hair is also brittle, that suggests the problem may lie with your diet.

Try to do most of your maintenance using a nail file rather than clippers, and always file from the side towards the center. If you know how long you can typically keep your nails without breaking, try to maintain them there for a while before inching further. Nail strengtheners and/or clear coat nail polish can help, but make sure you always use a good base coat, and use acetone free remover when the time comes to replace the polish.

(I tend to grow my nails out in a very disorganized fashion, so I don't do all of this, but I did take a manicure class like half a lifetime ago so I sorta know what I'm talking about.)

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
Usually once I break too many I chop them all off and start over. I have terribly fragile nails so my best bet when I want long ones are fake. I usually don’t though, need to not have nails foe my sculpting.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
My eyes are bad, and on my phone, I thought this said, 'broken tails', as in OCs that had broken tails as part of their fursonas :p

Guess it would depend, but I'd feel awful sorry for a fox, skunk, or other bushy-tail critter, with a broken tail! Any critter, really.

As for broken nails...I tend to bite mine, outta nervous habit, so they never get too long, to break.

artichuka

i love the look of longer pointy colorful nails (nothing too extreme, just a basic almond shape) and had mine done for the first time recently. I was pretty happy with them but i work with a lot of power tools and machinery and broke one through my gloves, as in a very painful split all the way to the base of the nail. So I just used my dremel to file the rest of them down lol. I'm waiting for them to grow out so i can keep filing them down until they're back to normal.
Some of us just aren't made to have longer nails! If you really want them long and your lifestyle allows it i recommend you get them done at a salon with an UV gel so they'll be a little thicker and more resistant, but it's still not foolproof.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
My eyes are bad, and on my phone, I thought this said, 'broken tails', as in OCs that had broken tails as part of their fursonas :p

Guess it would depend, but I'd feel awful sorry for a fox, skunk, or other bushy-tail critter, with a broken tail! Any critter, really.

As for broken nails...I tend to bite mine, outta nervous habit, so they never get too long, to break.

Aww... my dad's sister's pet Labrador broke her tail. It can happen to dogs if they break them by wagging against things.

My nails are usually cut short in case they bend back accidentally. That shit hurts. Someone grabbed my fleece jacket out of my hands once and the nails flipped back. I still cringe in pain thinking about it.

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
I'm coping with a split in each thumbnail. They started with a chip (my occupation involves reaching through a lot of small-diameter wire), and through successive snagging-on-things (like say, loose loops of thread in your pants or jacket pockets), wound up threatening to get really troublesome.

At first I tried to superglue them. Didn't work. Then I tried superglue with baking soda dumped on top and filed to shape. It worked a little longer but was too brittle to be useful for more than a couple of days or so.

Finally I tried using some Harbor Freight two-part epoxy, spread fairly thick across the split and back to cover maybe the outer 1/3 of the thumbnail. Once it cures enough to be touched (5-10 minutes), I filed the outer edge smooth so there's nothing to snag. It's not a permanent fix--it does have to be replaced, but it's a flexible bond and tends to last on the order of a week or two, depending on how much abuse it gets subjected to. The idea is to hold the two sides of the split together till the base of the crack grows out to where it can be clipped off, leaving an unbroken edge across the nail.

---PCJ