• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What do you do to help curb depression and anxiety? And other thoughts I have.

Jay98

The violent man-eater

Jay98

The violent man-eater
Its just a statement.

well i just got bitten 3 times by a horse fly that somehow found itself under my bedsheets so no not everyone is doing well.

WithMyBearHands

Smudge and arrogant
Truthfully, one of the biggest aides I’ve found are puzzles. Simple, little puzzles to give you a logical brain exercise. This kind of quells extreme emotions and promotes critical thinking.

Jay98

The violent man-eater
Uhh... you gonna be okay? Those fuckers carry some nasty germs.

my leg from the knee down is in sharp pain and my ankle has swollen right up.
i have a cream for it but i can't get any other kind of help for it until morning which is in 6 hours.

WithMyBearHands

Smudge and arrogant
my leg from the knee down is in sharp pain and my ankle has swollen right up.
i have a cream for it but i can't get any other kind of help for it until morning which is in 6 hours.
Try deodorant, see if that helps. Like literally just rub a deodorant stick up and down your ankle

Jay98

The violent man-eater
Try deodorant, see if that helps. Like literally just rub a deodorant stick up and down your ankle

i'm a little too tired and pissed off to try home remedies right now.
the cream i have will be good enough.

WithMyBearHands

Smudge and arrogant
i'm a little too tired and pissed off to try home remedies right now.
the cream i have will be good enough.
Suit yourself. I had an allergic reaction similar to a horsefly bite when I was a kid; I was home alone, freaked out, called the poison control hotline... they told me to use the deodorant after they were done laughing at me

pippi

Stinky Skunk
I don't cope well, I usually sit around complaining and whining and sighing and then when people tell me how much i'm bringing them down, I just go to bed.

I used to be on medication, but I just stopped taking it because my family saw it and started flipping out about it. so I tried to hide it and kept forgetting to take it, so I just stopped taking it altogether.

WithMyBearHands

Smudge and arrogant
I don't cope well, I usually sit around complaining and whining and sighing and then when people tell me how much i'm bringing them down, I just go to bed.

I used to be on medication, but I just stopped taking it because my family saw it and started flipping out about it. so I tried to hide it and kept forgetting to take it, so I just stopped taking it altogether.
No no no no no, if medicine helps you, that’s what you need. Fuck your family. (u know what I mean) Please. My meds are a little wonky and I gotta work out some kinks but I can’t ever go back to being totally unmedicated until I get my shit sorted. It is a difference of night and day, you have the chance to be the best you that you can be. It’s SO GREAT having a choice of how to react or how to feel. It’s so freeing and it’s something you shouldn’t be shamed for. That’s like your family telling you not to take your insulin for diabetes because “you’re just not eating right”

pippi

Stinky Skunk
No no no no no, if medicine helps you, that’s what you need. Fuck your family. (u know what I mean) Please. My meds are a little wonky and I gotta work out some kinks but I can’t ever go back to being totally unmedicated until I get my shit sorted. It is a difference of night and day, you have the chance to be the best you that you can be. It’s SO GREAT having a choice of how to react or how to feel. It’s so freeing and it’s something you shouldn’t be shamed for. That’s like your family telling you not to take your insulin for diabetes because “you’re just not eating right”

The doctor who prescribed the medicine lives hours away, I don't think i'd be able to see her again. She was the only one that was open on my times off from work, so I probably couldn't get it again anyways. i'd be too embarrassed to go back tho, I've stopped taking it so many times and I feel like i'm just wasting her time XD

WithMyBearHands

Smudge and arrogant
The doctor who prescribed the medicine lives hours away, I don't think i'd be able to see her again. She was the only one that was open on my times off from work, so I probably couldn't get it again anyways. i'd be too embarrassed to go back tho, I've stopped taking it so many times and I feel like i'm just wasting her time XD
Hun, she’s in the field hopefully because she genuinely cares about people. I’m sure she’d be concerned and would wanna do anything she could to make sure you had access to them. Most psychiatrists are like that. You can probably find something at a little clinic somewhere that works more with the lower class; they usually have adequate access to all kinds of services, and for a good price. They even match insurance prices if you don’t have it

Edit: also get you one of those little pill capsule keychains. It holds one dose at a time and you refill it every night at home. It helped me to not forget mine lol

Last edited:

Jay98

The violent man-eater
animal videos and feel good music

Anjeka

Eli
I don't know how much this might help since different people respond to different things, but (with the recommendation from my first-ever therapist) I've recently gotten started on a class for something called dialectical behavioral therapy. It sounds super complex to start with but it seems to be a lot of practicing mindfulness and living in the moment.

The thing I've found that helps the most both with my anxiety and depression was focusing on one specific thing for a minute or two during the day. Like if you're eating something, just sit there and focus on what you're eating - how it smells, feels, and tastes, and really slow down and break the act of eating down into specific steps. Put the food to your mouth, bite, chew, swallow, repeat, and focus on each step as closely as you can. You can do it with anything, even just sitting at your computer, shutting your eyes, and focusing on your breathing.

I started doing this while I was feeling pretty neutral, and have started to be able to focus more when I'm having a bad anxiety or depression spell. Not enough to completely get rid of the feeling, but enough that common sense will push me to do something that will make me feel better. (Ex. I feel terrible and just want to lie in bed. Logically, even though my limbs feel like they're made of sand and everything feels like a black hole, I realize I should get up and get some water because I'm thirsty and need water to live. The act of getting up and getting water then forces me to move and hydrate myself, which makes me feel marginally better)

Also watching candle carving videos when I'm feeling anxious.

AppleButt

This might sound weird, but I also like to remind myself that the worst that could happen in my life is death.

That doesn’t scare me, so I use my lack in the fear of death to fuel my ability to live a little bit.

I don’t worry as much as I used to, I’m gonna start investing soon, Ive done some adventurous things.

All stuff I was afraid to do before because I worried way too much about my future.

Honestly for me I fall into pits of depression from time to time, when that happens I lose all motivation to do even the most basic self care activities. Some things that really help me climb back out seem basic but you really don't realize how much it can help:

1. Take a long bath and do all hygiene activities that make you feel nice- shave, makeup, brush your damn teeth,-primp and preen yourself so you are refreshed. Wear REAL cloths- no PJs.
2. Start with cleaning your room. With depression this can sometime feel like a monster to tackle- Just start with a small portion. Just get this one shelf cleaned and organized-take your time and don't get over whelmed. but when you have a clean room you can look around and say I did this. I can do more.
3. Get outside. Fresh air, sunshine, nature. All helps to stop the claustrophobic feeling depression can give.
4. Socialize, talk to friends- call or text THEM first. Open up to them about it and if they say something that hurts, or is insensitive let them know! No one WANTS to hurt you.

These are really the things that help me to feel more like an actual person. I always found distractions kind put me further in the pit- like its there, I know it is, and it really doesn't help for me to just binge a show or game. I hope this helps <3

What if I don't have any?
That can be something we all face, especially after you are out of school. Online friends are still friends, and with this site you might be able to find some people near you to meet with, there are small group meet ups in various areas! Also try to talk to people in your workplace, or in your school even if you feel awkward or scared just remember no one wants to hurt you and everyone is going through something- just be kind and and yourself- If they don't like that you tried and that is a victory on its own.

Minerva_Minx

Sheogorath is my co-pilot
My resilience comes from finding the hilarity in a situation. No one really does that. They use alcohol, avoidance, finding something else. But to laugh at it al helps you se things differently. try it as it may surprise you.