• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What do you do to improve your craft??

SevenArms

I know the obvious response is "practice". But what kind of practice do you do??

You draw/paint every day? Make challenges? Seek for critique? Follow new tutorials? Go to art school?

I'm doing 30min of digital paint almost every day to improve my skill with the tablet and so far it has work :) But I want to know, what do you do? Every little step counts and the more options the better! :D

Sunburst_Odell

Some weird teen on the web that likes cartoons
I don't do anything all that special; I just draw whenever I feel like drawing and have ideas, going out of my comfort zone if it's necessary. Probably why I don't improve all that fast.

malibu

It depends on what kind of improvement I want to do. If it's anatomy or trying a different species, I'll gather a bunch of references and spend a couple hours using the references to try and draw the subject. If it's a coloring style, I'll look at a few inspirational pieces and make a 1000x1000 canvas and play around for a couple hours until I get something I'm happy with. I like watching tutorials on painting styles and trying brushes, too. Normally it involves challenging myself and spending a couple or few hours scribbling things out.

PaPenguin

Certified nutjob
Figure drawing is what helped me the most, there are some nice online tools. Other than that, nothing too specific. Draw stuff you enjoy drawing and throw in a study or two inbetween. Funny enough, I often experience improvement after a longer break of not drawing at all. I have yet to figure out why... :V

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
I pick something I'm not good at and do a bunch of studies. I just draw it over and over on a few pages of sketchbook paper and usually I then have to take a long break. When I come back it has finally clicked.

Though the thing mentioned earlier about stopping for awhile in general helps too. It's kinda spooky.

I

Infrarednexus

I took numerous art classes in high school and college. It improved my natural talent by giving more ideas and strategies along with developing an appreciation for other peoples work.

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ
Bash your head against the brick wall. But honestly if you feel the need to draw DO SO, and if you have the little voice that says "Oi? What if we were to try this!?" Go for it. My whims usually turn out to be good ideas.

Keep on trying.

Fiorabeast

Always ill as hell
I pick something I'm not good at and do a bunch of studies. I just draw it over and over on a few pages of sketchbook paper and usually I then have to take a long break. When I come back it has finally clicked.

Though the thing mentioned earlier about stopping for awhile in general helps too. It's kinda spooky.

Okay, I like this idea and I hope you don't mind if I use it? Because this seems like a good idea for art blocks and stuff!

For me its... despair over how I suck at art, stop drawing and hoping to permanently quit from it... Only to pick it back up again.
More serious is just drawing from life (life drawing DEFINITELY helps a lot! Totally recommend this!) , from books, and looking at the Art Trades thread for people that want their character drawn as a challenge. And just scribbling in general (just chicken scratches basically). Also, eyeballing/copying certain art styles or painting styles helps.

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
Okay, I like this idea and I hope you don't mind if I use it? Because this seems like a good idea for art blocks and stuff!

For me its... despair over how I suck at art, stop drawing and hoping to permanently quit from it... Only to pick it back up again.
More serious is just drawing from life (life drawing DEFINITELY helps a lot! Totally recommend this!) , from books, and looking at the Art Trades thread for people that want their character drawn as a challenge. And just scribbling in general (just chicken scratches basically). Also, eyeballing/copying certain art styles or painting styles helps.
Yo that’s totally fine. I’m glad to have helped! Like I just finished a study of digitigrade legs and paws two days ago where guess what I learned? I basically already knew what I was doing I was just thinking about it wrong. I can draw paws...drawing my hind pony legs in the style I have is only a few lines shy. Wow go me.

It’s important to take away something positive from all studies. And not be afraid to take a break for awhile. You don’t want a burnout.