What do you think about beautiful clothes?

Marcl

The Honey Fox
It is really a shame how menswear has condensed down to only a few standard options. Women have such a large range of styles and cuts, whereas men's clothing feels rather plain by comparison. Men should be allowed to dress up and experiment just as much. I feel like this is changing slowly, but we still have a long way to go.
This! Not only the problem is with plain clothing, but that not always suited for the situation or need. The suits are just the perfect example of the problem. And the only way to get them nice - with nice patterns, comfortable, nice tie, etc... you need to put up a lot of money.

As of me - I'm in between. I like 'naked' characters, but in the Disney/cartoon style of nakedness. As of clothes, I feel a bit intimidated to pick nice set of clothes for my character. I saw no point in giving them simple clothing and wasn't sure what to pick in any other department. That said, I'm slowly thinking over designing some wardrobe for my sona.

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
YUSH!

Although I usually swoon for the big period dresses and gowns. Especially rococo. Although my biggest weakness is Victorian or Lolita styled attire. I love how prim and proper they look.

View attachment 91064View attachment 91065

Examples of my favorite types of outfits! -Swoons and flails whilst giggling madly- Ahem! Yes. x3
You've seen art by holivi and celesse, have you not? And perhaps PocketOwl? Miorjah?
I know there are more artists I'm not remembering!

I also like simple-yet-chic 1960's and 1970's attire, and whatever is going on in children's books like Frog and Toad and The Busy World of Richard Scarry. And who could forget the whimsical baubles of Dr. Seuss?
Lately I've been REALLY involved in the study of translucent fabrics in Steven Universe gem designs. The pearls especially are SO COOL. Incredible monochrome characters! Blue Pearl is my favourite <3
My latest discoveries include failed toy franchises, such as Liddle Kiddles and Upsy Downsy. Oh my STARS. They are SCREAMINGLY late 1960's!
I'm really looking forward to incorporating all these elements into my fursona art!

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
It is really a shame how menswear has condensed down to only a few standard options. Women have such a large range of styles and cuts, whereas men's clothing feels rather plain by comparison. Men should be allowed to dress up and experiment just as much. I feel like this is changing slowly, but we still have a long way to go.
That's EXACTLY why Zehlua dresses in drag! He hates feeling so limited!

Skittles

Queen of Fløøf. Rightful Ruler of LPW-PvP
I always thought period clothing was lovely, and furries wearing it make it look even better.
I have been considering more art with this in mind. X)

elle2

demon bat
Coming at it from a character design perspective- I think clothes are integral to a character! What they wear, if it's comfortable to them, how the fit is.. It tells you a lot about a character! I'm pretty poor at drawing clothes (as much as I love them!!) so I want to get better ^.^ But for sure, I think clothing is super important to characters

dahbastard

Coming at it from a character design perspective- I think clothes are integral to a character! What they wear, if it's comfortable to them, how the fit is.. It tells you a lot about a character! I'm pretty poor at drawing clothes (as much as I love them!!) so I want to get better ^.^ But for sure, I think clothing is super important to characters
They certainly are.

You are much better at drawing clothes than other artists.

With respect to getting better at them: for me, it’s an ongoing process, but there are very useful rules of thumb to follow, such as that there almost always is bunching around the armpit, or that sleeves bunch up around the forearm.

I recommend studying how CLAMP (the people behind Card Captor Sakura) does clothes. That’s where I learned a lot of my tricks.

Or, you can always search the web for an outfit, and then insert your own character in the reference. You can learn a lot from that.

Vinfang

Indie Game Artist / Tattoo Apprentice
I show off my big muscles, because I don't have them in real life. but I do like to draw up goth/steampunk/sci-fi clothes for my characters, cause they are too expensive and hard to own in reality.

oappo

See, it's interesting to hear that. I have suspected that that's how a lot of anthro fans feel. After all, the interest is in anthropomorphism, not clothing. I just personally feel like liking fashion and liking anthros is additive; if you like both, I would think you'd want to combine the two more. But, I am likely mistaken in thinking this.
For me, it's sort of a holistic thing in regards to art. Furry characters are far more interesting on their own compared to humans. And because of this, it sort of feels like a waste compared to a human getting it. Then again, I don't like or dislike furry art more than anything else I look at, so maybe that's because I already have an "outlet" for clothing in the form of other types of art. That and it gives clothing a greater spotlight when its the sole highlight of a piece.

With all that said, the outfit significantly contributes to the overall look of a piece so it's not like I'm horribly opposed to giving furries great clothing either. If I have an idea, I'll lean towards human between the two, but it won't be a guaranteed thing.