• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What do you use for games/animations?

So stalking the forms I just learned (2 years late ) that flash is ending next year. Just now learning this I feel like I wasted the last 6 months of my life teaching my self how to use it( I have a copy of flash cs4 on my computer because I was/am too cheap to pay for the monthly creative cloud subcription) despite that I really enjoy messing around with it and am currently working on a large ref collection "game" (has all of my characters info/design/color pallet/ect in a single place that shows different info by simply mousing over a button, anyway)

I don't want to abandon it or the other little things I've been playing with simply because flash support is ending next year. I'd love to be able to continue what I've been working on(and learning how to animate easier because right now doing a frame by frame tail wag, clogs up data and takes for ever!)

So what do you use? for 2d animation/game making? And that is free(or at least cheaper than creative cloud in the long run) I use clip studio pro to make the graphics (would use it for more but it has no 2d bone tool and pro only supports 24 frame gifs) so I need something I can use to make my graphics into 2d animations and then into a game(I'm really going to miss flash because it did all that for me...minus the bone tool, like i said i hate frame by frame animation)

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
I like Unreal Engine 4 or Unity3D. Both have 2D game tutorials and animation support.

As a game developer myself, I highly recommend Unreal Engine for any 3D games, and Unity for 2D games, if we're talking free engines.

N

Nyro46

is unity easy to use? I was able to understand flash cs4 pretty quickly because it was easy to undestand
Not really for a beginner, at least based on my own experience with it a few years ago. There were beginner tutorials, but they were written for an older version of C++ than what Unity was using so they didn't even work and I kinda gave up xD Might give it a go again when I get the time though.

I have an interest in making games but currently don't have a lot of knowledge in coding myself. I have only really used Game Maker Studio 1 and Clickteam Fusion 2.5. I have a platformer game I used to be collaborating on with someone (in GMS1), but we parted ways years ago and since I've thought of going back to the file and seeing what I can do with it. Though his coding was fairly messy if I can recall, I do have some resources for learning GMS1. (Except now they've moved on to GMS2, but oh well, I don't think that one even has a free version anymore?)
Clickteam Fusion I've just used for FNaF fangames (yes, I am one of those people . . .) but I would definitely use it for other point-and-click games as well. For platformers and such, not so much.
Both of these programs are for 2D (well, GMS might have 3D support if you buy the full version, but not 100% sure).

For animation, I have simply used FireAlpaca in onionskin mode. I am not a big fan of Flash or Flash-based programs where you have the model and move it around with bones and stuff . . . would rather just use that for 3D animation (which then I've used Blender a bit). Plus Flash base feels very limiting for 2D animation. I like doing it frame-by-frame.

For animation, I have simply used FireAlpaca in onionskin mode. I am not a big fan of Flash or Flash-based programs where you have the model and move it around with bones and stuff . . . would rather just use that for 3D animation (which then I've used Blender a bit). Plus Flash base feels very limiting for 2D animation. I like doing it frame-by-frame.

Whats FireAlpaca? And really I just want to make 2d "interactive" games lol. Like those xray ones that are popular on fa, or an interactive refsheet

N

Nyro46

Whats FireAlpaca? And really I just want to make 2d "interactive" games lol. Like those xray ones that are popular on fa, or an interactive refsheet
FireAlpaca is a free drawing program that I use for digital art. I have been using it since 2013, and have really liked it. Plus they've been updating it since then and a lot of features have been added since I first started using it - Free Painting Software FireAlpaca
And for those kind of games, Flash is definitely one used a lot, though I do not have much knowledge in Flash *games*. Plus, I think there is a chance that Flash might be getting discontinued, but don't count me on that. I think Clickteam Fusion is a good choice, but you may need the full version, as the free version is rather limited (limited to ten objects in a frame iirc) the full version is about $100 but it's good for making those kind of point-and-click games.

is unity easy to use? I was able to understand flash cs4 pretty quickly because it was easy to undestand
It looks like any other game engine these days, but in my opinion its functional is much better for 2D games. They say it's easy to script in, although I have never tried it myself specifically, though I can assure you that scripting on UE4 is a bit painful. THey say Unity is much easier in that regard.

That said, I am not familiar with flash. I'm not, um, that kind of gavedev, I real with third person RPGs mostly, and haven't tried flash. THough I once wanted to make my own small point and click game, and picked Wintermute Engine for that. Seemed easy and friendly enough.