• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What Do You Use to Draw?

A Streak of Luck

I've been doodling for awhile and noticed I've been getting better and better at it. Now that I've fallen in love with drawing and sketching I was wondering what everyone else here uses. I'm thinking about snagging a tablet some time soon. Does area to draw = better?

PanzerschreckLeopard

Just a regular HB pencil, and a .5mm pen if I'm REALLY proud of it.

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
Shitty 2 cent pencils from Costco that my dad bought a few hundred of.

Bic pens if I need to ink.

Kivaari

Meow.
Pentel Side-FX .7mm mechanical pencil. Looks cool, and works, unlike super cheap mechanical pencils.

Ratte

I use typical .5mm mechanicals (BIC) I find on the school floors, maybe a shitty non-chewed BIC pen from the floor if I'm lucky.

Ain't got money to buy utensils, so I find them, instead.

Catte

:3
I use typical .5mm mechanicals (BIC) I find on the school floors, maybe a shitty non-chewed BIC pen from the floor if I'm lucky.

Ain't got money to buy utensils, so I find them, instead.

I do the same thing.

.. Except I draw with words.

Kangamutt

4x6 Wacom Bamboo with Photoshop.

Alternately, a .05mm mechanical pencil or ballpoint pen on copy paper and/or lined notebook paper (hey, what are you going to draw on when you're bored in economics 101?).

mapdark

Fluffy as a shaggy carpet
I've been doodling for awhile and noticed I've been getting better and better at it. Now that I've fallen in love with drawing and sketching I was wondering what everyone else here uses. I'm thinking about snagging a tablet some time soon. Does area to draw = better?

If I go the conventional way :

1-9H pencil
2-6H pencil
3-HB pencil
4-sharpie ink pen for line art
5-colouring often done in Photoshop

Digital way :

1-Wacom tablet , Bamboo (nice as a low cost one , but thinking of replacing it)
2-Photoshop OR illustrator for the line art
3-Photoshop for the colouring part

I've dabbled with Art Rage which is GREAT to simulate conventional materials , but it's not good for everything.

And when it comes to a tablet BIGGER SIZE= better , though a small tablet is NOt the end of the world either.

VirtualFox

I use a standard 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil with B (or B2) Lead, a 0.5mm Black Felt-tip Pen, folded A3 Smooth Paper and Onion Paper, Combined with a Scanner and a wide-A5 Wacom Intous3.

Basically I draw the sketch first on the Smooth paper using the mechanical pencil. Trace the sketch on the Onion Paper with Ink, and then scan it and, cleanup and do digital work on it.

I find it easier to work on a smaller tablet Surface on Mouse mode, because otherwise my whole arm gets tired of making really large movements to do something simple on the screen. And a large tablet takes a lot of space as well.

Might sound a bit weird about inking it out of photoshop, but That's if i want to have something done quickly. I can take my time with it in photo shop and achieve more fine lines than i would with the pen on a A4 size paper.

Ladyfaegassr

Burmecian extraordinaire.
Your LEFT hand?

You DEVIL CHILD!!

HEY HEY! Nothing wrong with being a left handed devil child. >:3 I, too, am one.

In all seriousness, what ever pencil and pen I can get a hold of. Colored pencils, crayons (both ALWAYS crayola. Don't trust not like anything else). Sometimes my expensive German markers... Uuuhm. OH YEAH! Color and shading in photoshop with my mouse.

KashakuTatsu

Ihanen Guide my Hand
I range from an HB pencil to 8B.. even a .05 mechanical if the detail gets that small. Then I go over it with black copic sp pens (.1 and .2) then may chose to colour with other colours. Finally I'll fill in the picture with a combination of pencil and coloured pencil.

E-mannor

Prisoner 655321
well usually just .7mm mechanical pencil, and I ink with a small, medium and brush black inking pen, Faber-Castell makes good pens.

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
0.5mm mechanical pencil

From there it could be a size 0 pointed-tip brush+India ink or Staedler pigment markers, or digital inking either with Bezier curves in my primart ancient art-app-that-is-not-Photshop, or vectors in Inkscape or Canvas.

I do use a tablet, a 4x6 Grafire, but rarely draw completely digitally with it--in something like 370 pics posted here, only one was done completely digitally. Closest I typically come to digital drawing is when I make significant modifications to scanned artwork.

---PCJ

ApolloMuris

Sometimes I just draw directly with my tablet, but that takes some time and practice :)

I usually start off using a mechanical pencil with blue lead (or a blue colored pencil). Then I either ink that, or I draw over it with normal pencil (I use a .03mm mechanical pencil). I draw the guides with blue because it is very very easy to remove blue from a scan, and it doesn't show up on a copy machine ;)

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
with my Erect penis.

Vivianite

That 1-hit-kill sniper fgt.
soon-to-be tablet drawing.
Line drawing with inkscape.
pencils and color pencils, I really don't have a preference on anything related to that. Cept when i have to erase, the damned thing better not smudge the artwork.