• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What does being a pet/owner mean to you?

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
Also be noted that it isn't really a fandom thing, me nor my pet identify as members of this fandom.

FluffMouse

*Crawls into traffic*
For those confused about 'ownership' how do you feel about wedding rings? It may not be a collar, but it's a symbol of your commitment and loyalty to a person. It generally makes the statement to others that you're 'taken'. People may not use the word 'owner' or 'property', but in a sense it's the exact same thing. The difference is in the dynamic, and to be honest as far as alternative dynamics go Master/pet is fairly tame. A lot of relationships have power play elements, someone takes the lead and the other follows. Some vanilla people prefer D/s because it's how they were raised, or a part of their religion. It's not just about kink. Dominance and submission are natural traits of some folks. And honestly I feel like a loving relationship dynamic with elements of D/s is far less weird than adults talking about, getting off to, and dressing as cartoon animals. But that's just me.

Joey

It's just the whole sub/dom fetish thing. I know a lot about it because a friend of mine likes it and I don't really understand.

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
Do you think females are more often than not the pet in the relationship?

That is a good question actually. I bet there's more female owners than pets.

As for the whole master/pet thing, I never could really wrap my head around it. Seems like a lot of theatrical bullshit that plays on the submission and dominance thing.

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
That is a good question actually. I bet there's more female owners than pets.

As for the whole master/pet thing, I never could really wrap my head around it. Seems like a lot of theatrical bullshit that plays on the submission and dominance thing.
From what I observe more women like to be treated like cats more than anyone wanting to be treated like anything else. Men seem to gravitate to puppy's sometimes, but only severe subs.

@Lastdirewolf: Huh. Well everyone has their own interpretation of it I suppose.

Lolwat? I described 3 different types of relationships. These aren't "interpretations" - They're pretty well-established categories:

Partnered - boyfriend/girlfriend, girlfriend/girlfriend, etc. (when a maa-an loves a woooman)
Professional/Business-like - Acquaintances rather than friends, and sex may or may not be involved (common for professional Dominatrix and Domintors)
Friends with benefits - Friends, but there's a little 'something' on the side. (Admittedly uncommon, but certainly not unknown)

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
From what I observe more women like to be treated like cats more than anyone wanting to be treated like anything else. Men seem to gravitate to puppy's sometimes, but only severe subs.

Is that so? I never knew the cat thing. I suppose its not so much of a shock to me that guys would go for a dog role. They kinda give off that "strong yet dumb" vibe I've seen some subby straight guys embrace.

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
Is that so? I never knew the cat thing. I suppose its not so much of a shock to me that guys would go for a dog role. They kinda give off that "strong yet dumb" vibe I've seen some subby straight guys embrace.
Yeah, and for some reason male pets seem to focus on it more as a fetish then a relationship dynamic. While many women desire it as both. Again I am no expert but I have been around said communities for a while.

Misomie

Lazy Artist
I still hold by my belief that people playing as cats should be the true master in the relationship. A happy cat is one that feels in control. They can actually get depressed or aggressive if they feel weak (sure you can have a variety of cats, but it's a psychological need to be in control). As for dogs, they're really smart as well so I don't get why people think they're dumb. If someone chose to be the dog they have a few choices: a spoiled brat (often in charge), highly obedient (easily the sub), or out of control (obviously in charge). Also, a dog won't blindly obey you until you train them to do so. They are constantly choosing what will give them the best reward. Obedient dogs have been hardwired to believe that you know what's best for them. Appeasement is a sign in animals that they're afraid of you. I don't get how this translates to being hot.

FluffMouse

*Crawls into traffic*
I still hold by my belief that people playing as cats should be the true master in the relationship. A happy cat is one that feels in control. They can actually get depressed or aggressive if they feel weak (sure you can have a variety of cats, but it's a psychological need to be in control). As for dogs, they're really smart as well so I don't get why people think they're dumb. If someone chose to be the dog they have a few choices: a spoiled brat (often in charge), highly obedient (easily the sub), or out of control (obviously in charge). Also, a dog won't blindly obey you until you train them to do so. They are constantly choosing what will give them the best reward. Obedient dogs have been hardwired to believe that you know what's best for them. Appeasement is a sign in animals that they're afraid of you. I don't get how this translates to being hot.
They kinda are. I mean, they're still owned, but yeah. That's the difference for a lot of people between sub and slave. A D/s relationship, at least in BDSM is generally tailored to the subs limits and interests. While dynamics and rules very from person to person.. it's usually the Dom serving the subs needs. (Not serving in the subservient sense.. just, give and take. Power exchange.. etc) In D/lg type relationships the Dom is the caretaker and protector. It's kinda like that for M/p as well. It's less 'in control' and more 'given the lead'. At least from what I've seen. Then again, I've seen subs with more protocol and rules than many slaves so eh.

Last edited:

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
Is being led around on a leash involved?
it can be, but not always. Usually not publicly because it makes people look at you like you are some nutter. Easy to do if you both are sexy people though.

FluffMouse

*Crawls into traffic*
Yes, most pets won't go anywhere without their masters leading them on a walk.

are you kidding me, no that's fucking dumb :V
A bit much.. I haven't met anyone who does that sort of stuff often.. and I mean often as in more than once or twice unless they're in a safe setting where those around them have consented to it. A lot of people even in the lifestyle have jobs and doing things like that is a no-no if you want to keep it.

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
A bit much.. I haven't met anyone who does that sort of stuff often.. and I mean often as in more than once or twice unless they're in a safe setting where those around them have consented to it. A lot of people even in the lifestyle have jobs and doing things like that is a no-no if you want to keep it.

for someone who has white text in their signature, you sure have a hard time seeing it yourself

S

Sar

ITT: Furries go to the pet store and can't decide why.
Pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Misomie

Lazy Artist
Oh yeah. Leashes and collars are seen a lot at anime conventions. The otaku fandom enjoys this type of relationship.

Jabberwocky

bitch where
Oh yeah. Leashes and collars are seen a lot at anime conventions. The otaku fandom enjoys this type of relationship.
it's mostly harmless, done for fun and for the lulz. why do they do that at anime conventions? bc we know doing it out in the real world would be viewed as just a wee bit bizarre.
but in all seriousness, the concept of the master/pet relationship is pretty interesting. sure, I call my significant otter my "little pet" but it doesn't mean we are in a master/pet relationship.