• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What does your 'sona mean to you?

Matt Conner

I know this is fairly similar to a few other threads floating about this sub-forum, but I noticed that in most cases the OP didn’t call for a very in-depth answer. Fursonas are silly and fun, and many of your responses will be something along the lines of “lol, I don’t have a murrsona” or “I picked an animal I liked, the end.” Even so, many others (such as myself) have quite a history to their fursona, and it is significant to them for one reason for another. So, for those people I pose the question: what does your fursona mean to you? Give us a little history if possible, why you made one in the first place, and what purpose does it serve? I’ll start with mine to give you an idea of what I’m looking for. WARNING: possible TL;DR ahead!

My weird and dorky infatuation with all things furry began in earnest at the ripe ol’ age of thirteen, when I began to explore the internet under the radar for the first time and eventually stumbled upon Deviantart. I initially used the site exclusively for online roleplay, and in doing so it was impossible not to eventually come across the local furries and their anthropomorphic OC’s, to which I was immediately drawn to so much so that all of my characters were exclusively furs within weeks. As I grew older and the RP scene at deviantart’s live chats slowly began to whither out and die I began exploring other places like FA and f-list, among others. By now I was already well aware of the concept of a fursona, but I had no real interest in making one, since having an emotional attachment to a character was an easy way to mutate it into a hideous mary-sue *gasp*, plus I would never have dreamed of wasting so much money on a drawing (aaah…so young and naïve I was!). Still, it was a novel idea, and on some level I was always a little bit jealous of people with really well done ‘sonas, mostly because it gave them an online identity. I was always extremely private online, and a ‘sona would have been my way to have a face without leaving out any real personal information for trolls and nosy relatives to zero in on. Then, one fateful day, this image appeared in Tom Fishbache’s gallery.

zVjAO.jpg

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Free-Spirit-Evals-276541636

Yes, for all you webcomic snobs, I know that twokinds is atrocious, but I follow it anyways because he draws really cute furries, I mean c’mon! As soon as I saw the image above I knew I had to make a character out of this shaggy, happy-go-lucky lookin’ hippie dawg. Up on f-list he went, with a backstory and a name that I thought up completely based on a whim. As the days rolled by, I continually refined his story and re-formatted his profile until he was easily my most well-made and popular character. What really distinguished him from other characters though, was the fact that his personality came out astonishingly similar to my own, and not even entirely on purpose. Other characters, I would somewhat adopt their personality while using them, even when speaking out of character, but with Matt…well, it was just me. At this point, I wanted to call him my fursona, but I felt ashamed that I had borrowed his appearance and had no original art of him. I still do, but over a dozen commissions and gifts [NSFW: some male nudity] have made the title of “fursona” at least a little bit more justified. I would alter it now, but honestly, I can’t imagine any way to change him to suit me better, I think he’s perfect just the way he is! Now in the present day, he’s my fursona, favorite character, online handle (Matt Conner is not even close to my real name ;3) and all in all, very dear to my heart.

Thanks so much for reading my post if you’ve gotten this far, I’m very eager to hear from all of you who have a fursona with a colorful history!

P.S: For those of you thinking something along the lines of “OMG YOU STOLED HIS OC IM TELLING”, Fishbache has creative commons license on all of his characters, which basically means that anybody can use them for any purpose as long as they’re not making any money off of them. I’m sure he’d be flattered (or incredibly amused) if anything to learn that his silly drawing of a minor character in his comic spawned five major commissions and countless hours of original writing for some random loser’s fursona~

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
I thought your sona was interesting with its glasses n' stuff, but learning he was taken from a webcomic maker's DA and slapped a new personality in makes it far less intriquing and unique.
You could just start building on this guy, keeping the most noticeable items he wears and changing him a little to make him more like you.

My sona means quite a bit to me, it is an elaborate construct of an internet identity sculpted after me and my wishes.
I have a ton of art of him and I don't think I have yet to meet a person who thinks he is a terrible character and a mary sue. If anything he's an anti-mary sue in his own right with his disabilities and a history of mentall illnesses.
By dressing him in a fancy wardrobe and giving him some class (Not in the fedora tipping neckbeard kind, I wanted to avoid that) he keeps me in check, too. I won't go making stupid posts (At least not in surplus) since that would defeat the impression people get when this sergal with his "Are you fucking kidding me?" face makes one and thus loses his credibility. By acting smart I keep my 'sona smart and vice versa. If that even makes sense.
The biggest impact he's had on me is in art, I've found drawing fun and interesting while doodling him and drawing some bigger pieces, and he's been a good canvas to try things on. As a result my artistic skills have improved tremendously.
He's also had a part in my lucid dream project and a bit outside it when I wanted to have conversations with him IRL.
Changing my 'sona to a different one now would feel like changing my IRL middle name.

Matt Conner

You're right, but at this point I think I've become far too attached, y'know? I couldn't even imagine changing him now, besides that all of my previous commissions will be rendered pointless.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
You're right, but at this point I think I've become far too attached, y'know? I couldn't even imagine changing him now, besides that all of my previous commissions will be rendered pointless.
Think of it this way, if you change it now, all the future ones will be truly of your character, instead of what could be fanart for the comic artist as well.
I know it could be hard letting go of something you've grown attached to, but the changes really don't have to be drastic to make a big difference.
E: You could build on this character. I mean that as in giving him more accessories. Doing that would give you the possibility of saying "it is the same character, just with less stuff with him in this commission"

Last edited:

Matt Conner

Think of it this way, if you change it now, all the future ones will be truly of your character, instead of what could be fanart for the comic artist as well.
I know it could be hard letting go of something you've grown attached to, but the changes really don't have to be drastic to make a big difference.

I'll definitely think on it. I have made some changes from the original image, but none that I would really deem noteworthy (bigger ears, shorter hair, eye color, and of course stylistic differences, but that's a given when commissioning different artists)

Last edited:

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
I'll definitely think on it. I have made some changes from the original image, but none that I would really deem noteworthy (bigger ears, shorter hair, and of course stylistic differences, but that's a given when commissioning different artists)
Great! That means you're on the right track.
Now since this is not a fursona critique thread, let's drop this topic and allow room for discussion pertaining to the OP

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Deo is an asshole.
A glorious, magnificent asshole who should be more like their 'sona on the forums and live up to that description :V

Zeitzbach

Taste purple
"OMG YOU STO-"

K.

On-topic

POWER OF LOVE COMPELS YOU

He started off as shit and giggle for the hang of it. The furry chars have always piqued my interest. They just look attractively cute for no reason. Later on, I just start to feel as if they just give out those "Fun and random" vibe that you cannot really find in those boringass human chars and that was what got me to create my sona. I wanted something that I can consider cute and at the same time, constantly give out the random funsy aura all the time. The kind of aura that can somehow attracts people like how it attracts me. I ended up with him in the end over the whole year of designing him after all the lizard/dragon characters I really like with a mix of some other lovable characters.

Everything I used to not be was exactly what I put into my sona. The trollish nature? The IDGAF attitude? The constant attempt to act cute for the lol? Never was like that IRL. When I go on the internet, I "pretend" to be him and have my share of fun. The characters were much more likeable than the shy and boring old me. Over the year of pretending, I ended up falling in love with my own Sona and that got me to change. "If I love him so much, might as well just change myself"

So I got myself a race chan-

I mean, so I try to act like my own Sona in real life as well (minus the andro and pantless part) and that makes me the current me today. So not only is he a random sona but he's also a complete life changer. I would never suddenly reply to my friends when they're taking out the trash "Don't forget yourself" in the past. Sure I may be a hell lot more annoying but being with an annoying person that is always him is a lot better and more relaxing than hanging out with faker than fake.

He's also had a part in my lucid dream project and a bit outside it when I wanted to have conversations with him IRL.

And now I know I'm not the only one who randomly calls out and tries to imagine as if his Sona is really there to talk to him when he needs a way to remain calm for something big (or for some self-encouragement since you're technically boosting your own self-confidence indirectly through your own sona).

Deo

The hatred of FAF personified
tumblr_mhgcs6PtMw1qgbu2uo1_1280.png

Dude on left is Tom Fishbache, dude on right is OP.
Made thing is the stolen character.
A glorious, magnificent asshole who should be more like their 'sona on the forums and live up to that description :V
I'll try harder, for the motherland! Instead if donating blood I'll now be taking blood.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
I'll try harder, for the motherland! Instead if donating blood I'll now be taking blood.
Attaboy, that's a step in the right direction. Now excuse me while I get ready to enjoy the show you'll be putting up by stirring this nest of wasps.

Aleu

Deuces
Aleu just started out as a username. It wasn't actually until I started participating more on FAF about three (nearly four) years ago that I developed an image that people could recognize me by. She's not really a character for anything but rather an internet representation of myself in wolf form. The colors for the fur is pretty much my hair color.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
And now I know I'm not the only one who randomly calls out and tries to imagine as if his Sona is really there to talk to him when he needs a way to remain calm for something big
Funny thing is I half succeeded in this. Of course I couldn't see him sit on the couch spinning his thumbs, but I could imagine it vividly and monologue, the way I usually talk to myself turned into a dialog, which in retrospect sounds a bit weird.

Last edited:

Littlerock

numb with cold
Littlerock is a vent for me, mostly. She personifies my failures along with my pleasures; she's the anthropomorphic image of the things that keep me up at night, to put it simply.

That, and she's just damn fun to draw.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
The ability to see things from a different point of view- I can now analyze music, literature, and other cultural expressions which could not be done through eyes of blue. Being able to change my physical appearance to match my tastes in entertainment and my favorite books really is a beautiful thing, but I often wonder if such ethnic transcendence truly is legal.

Littlerock

numb with cold
The ability to see things from a different point of view- I can now analyze music, literature, and other cultural expressions which could not be done through eyes of blue. Being able to change my physical appearance to match my tastes in entertainment and my favorite books really is a beautiful thing, but I often wonder if such ethnic transcendence truly is legal.

In other words, your wolfaboo lets you be racist without having white guilt.

Cool.

RTDragon

RTP User
Mine is actually based off my Deviantart name KMDragon short for komodo dragon. Even though i have not drawn my sona as often since i am going back to the basics.

Deo is an asshole.

I'll add to this.

Deo Brando is an asshole that can stop time and throw chibified deo holding knives at people.

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
My sona is muchly about expressing myself. She is me, but in an alternate world that exists in the images/stories we create of our anthro characters (unless they are from a book or something - my fursona, and my dragon, I consider to be from different worlds because my dragon is from my book). In this world, it's possible to portray your sona in situations you could never be in.

And this is how I use Cali to express myself. My emotions are way stronger than normal anyway, so the scenarios I force Cali to act out are highly exaggerated. I once drew the poor thing trapped in a sealed box while her tears drowned her, Alice in Wonderland style, when I was going through a shit thing IRL, because it helped get out how I felt and show the despair in a way that others might understand. But it's not all bad.

She also exists to make me feel a little better about myself - she doesn't look perfect and she's a little chubby, but the fact that she is beautiful and people actually like her, makes me feel like I can be comfortable with the same kind of build.

I never planned on having a fursona at all when I entered the fandom - just that I would have random characters that I drew, which didn't represent me at all. But I eventually saw sergals, first by a gorgeous fursuit head by Dingz. I fell in love right away. I know very little about sergals, but I just knew that I wanted to be one. And Cali was devised slowly.

I would never say that I was more attached to Cali than any of my other characters. No, if anything, I'm probably way more attached to my dragon, Domino. But I feel like I know Cali better than the others, and I'm more connected to her.