• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What editor do you use?

What editor do you use?

• epsilon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • zwei

• teco

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • ined

• ee

• Other (Not Listed)

Votes: 18 94.7%

• Total voters

Pi

A simple, informational poll!

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
Unix/Linux: vi or pico/nano (for command line), and gedit (if using the GUI)
Windows: Notepad++

Rayne

Get out of here, stalker!
Linux: gedit,
Win32: Notepad++ or Visual Studio, depending on how masochistic I'm feeling.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
*nix: mcedit
*win: PHP Expert Editor (not just for PHP) and Zend Studio 5.5

CyberFoxx

Wait, what?
nano in textmode, mousepad for GUI. (Although, I have been known to use mcedit and vim in textmode from time to time...)

Raithah

Notepad++, but I just muck around with HTML and Javascript. Though, given that a teco sounds to me like something you'd eat, I'd say that my opinion isn't one you're looking for.

Last edited:

Irreverent

Notepad, MSWord, Outlook Notes....just anywhere I can cut and paste config fragments between reloads. Needless to say, I don't do a lot of coding.

Aurali

Banned
Banned
depends on what...

DX crap usually goes on Visual Studio.
PHP/Perl goes on Notepad++
Torque files usually go under notepad++ or just notepad if I'm especially lazy.

And I'm a Windows fag quiet.

-Lucario-

jGrasp and Notepad, I'm still making my way up the programming ladder. (My professors are slow =.=)

And I'm a Windows fag quiet.

You're not alone :p

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
Vim/gVim more or less across the board now. I keep Notepad++ around for some things on Windows. (Like working with UNC pathnames. On my computer, for some reason, it takes a good 1-2 minutes for Vim to figure out UNCs.)

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
what about notepad++ makes it so popular?

It has a lot more features than the base notepad. Basically more powerful search, replace, format, conversion and identification abilities. For example, it can recognize and colour-code the text for over 30 programming language scripts. Also supports tabs, autosaves, Macros, and plugins. Awesome little piece of Freeware. :)

Pi

It has a lot more features than the base notepad. Basically more powerful search, replace, format, conversion and identification abilities. For example, it can recognize and colour-code the text for over 30 programming language scripts. Also supports tabs, autosaves, Macros, and plugins. Awesome little piece of Freeware. :)

so it's sort of like vim except only runs on windows and has 1/10th of the language highlighters and indenters?

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
so it's sort of like vim except only runs on windows and has 1/10th of the language highlighters and indenters?

Exactly. :p Good tool for Windows, not much else. :rolleyes:

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
umm I used pico back in the day -.-;;;

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
Why Notepad++?

Free, Powerful (though not so much as vim or emacs) with a short learning curve.

WarMocK

I like to nuke ^^
Notepad++ on Windows, Geany (mp for the commandline) on Linux

Eevee

Banned
Banned
It has a lot more features than the base notepad. Basically more powerful search, replace, format, conversion and identification abilities. For example, it can recognize and colour-code the text for over 30 programming language scripts. Also supports tabs, autosaves, Macros, and plugins.
yeah but these things are baseline functionality. that's like saying your car has doors and four wheels. anything without these is not worth considering. did people just pick it up, say "whoa this is better than the useless editor that comes with windows", and that was that? :/

Aurali

Banned
Banned
yeah but these things are baseline functionality. that's like saying your car has doors and four wheels. anything without these is not worth considering. did people just pick it up, say "whoa this is better than the useless editor that comes with windows", and that was that? :/

it's cause it's popular.. It's got nothing to do with better.
People give it to other people, who in turn give it to other people.

Impasse

Got to Be Crazy
I use notepad.exe in Windows, just 'cause I can access it easily from the "Run" dialog (which, as far as I know, can only run Windows' native programs).

[win+R + "notepad" + enter] is a very familiar action to me.

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
I use notepad.exe in Windows, just 'cause I can access it easily from the "Run" dialog (which, as far as I know, can only run Windows' native programs).

[win+R + "notepad" + enter] is a very familiar action to me.
Note true. It looks through your PATH environment variable. That's why "python," "perl," "gvim" and all the ports of UNIX utilities I have work from Run.

Koda

Emacs/Nano under Linux.

Oh, use write.exe instead of notepad.exe, seriously. Notepad is OLD and does creepy stuff with newlines, though, it supports [Ctrl+G] to jump to lines, I don't think write has that. But write has a nice find-replace feature notepad lacks.

It's almost like my most favorite relic of all windows distributions, right through Vista.. the font installer! :D Notepad and the font installer have been pretty much exactly the same since.. probably 3.1.