• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What gets you interested in a video game?

Lokin Lynkast

Heckin Meow
What features of a video game attract you as a customer?

For example:
"I like RPGs and Fantasy games, anything with an interesting story and turn based fights is my forte. When I see a game I look for something with reputation, and if I see or hear about it I'm more likely to have a look."

I'm a college student designing and developing a game right now. It's a space-travel set survival roguelike with permadeath, which means "A sort of space game where you have to survive and explore semi-random levels, and if you die... you die for good." in English.

Oh, and it features a Feline furry as the protagonist:
1511396970.lokinlynkast_largcatto.png

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
I prefer open world games that include multiplayer, but not RPG. I become invested in player culture, factions, and community, as it helps build immersion in the game. Also, permadeath? As in you start from the very beginning if you die?

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Complex strategy and/or simulation games are my bread & butter. I did like Mafia III tho so I’m open to alternatives.

xofrats

The cat said what?
The aesthetic is very important for me. A memorable art-style, a good setting and characters I can tell apart, is what make me pick up a game. My favorite game this year is Horizon: Zero Dawn
I'm not a fan of roguelike or roguelite game. I did enjoy Rogue Legacy because it made me feel that my skills mattered. But games like Faster Than Light are so boring to me.

But I have a friend that loves that genre. He enjoy games that have a lot of stuff to unlock and/or discover.

S

Sagt

(This thread should probably be put in the PC and Console Gaming section)

An engaging storyline, being able to set myself goals to achieve, and interesting design techniques (music, artstyle... etc) are all important to me.

I mostly enjoy playing grand strategy and RPGs.

Crimcyan

Chum bucket with the u
I play a huge variety of games
I play pokemon beacuse I like the character designs and the game is fun, and the story is pretty good in some games

I played assassin's creed only the ezio's trilogy beacuse the story was really good, game play was good too except for the occasional glitches.

I play borderlands due to the game being fun and funny af.

Then I also play alot of cartoony games like crash, Mario, older sonic games, and I guess zelda sorta fits in here beacuse they look and play great

So I don't really have a type of genre that attracts me I just normally play what I want to play

S

silveredgreen

I like fantasy more than anything else, and i look for either a really good story or interesting and fun gameplay mechanics. Both is best but either or is fine too.

ChromaticRabbit

lagomorphic
Banned
web_banner2.jpg

Same as great anime-- It's something surreal. It hints at a world and a frame-of-view so compelling that it doesn't just draw me into it, it mesmerizes, sweeps me off my feet, and then kidnaps me. Only a few titles achieve this high culture/art status, and only these tend to get much playtime from me.

Examples:

Fez
Final Fantasy series
Half-Life 2 series
Hyper Light Drifter
Kerbal Space Program
Portal 2
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
The Stanley Parable

Last edited:

reptile logic

An imposter among aliens.
Every once in a while, I may watch someone playing one of these sophisticated video games. To me, if the player is skilled, it's kinda like watching a movie.

I stopped playing the games back in the nineteen-eighties. I simply do not have enough time in my life to spend any of it learning to excel, or even survive, in a virtual world. I'd rather do something in the physical one.

Just write this off as the ramblings of an old fart. Back to the world; I need to finish making a cake.

Diretooth

Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope
Well, I have a new game to get.
For me, there are three factors to a game that I look for: Music, Gameplay, and Story. Graphics don't matter unless it is extremely ugly and no effort was put into it.
For music: If I can listen to it and enjoy it by itself, then even bad games can have a place in my heart.
For gameplay: If the game has fun mechanics that makes the act of playing the game itself fun, then I can enjoy it, even if the game's so bad it's good.
For story: Even if the music is crap, or the gameplay could have used another year to tweak, if a game has a good storyline, I will enjoy it.
Of course, I have to have standards, if two of those categories are sub-par, I might not play a game. If only the music is good, I'll just listen to the music. If just the gameplay is good, I might only play it occasionally and wonder at how the game missed its potential. If only the story is good, well, I can watch a Let's Play or find a synopsis of the game somewhere.

Some games I deeply enjoy:
Lost Odyssey: Music, Gameplay, Story, Graphics- The story of an immortal man fighting for the future? OST by Nobuo Uematsu? Battles that rarely get boring? Gorgeous visuals? 100% would recommend.
Terranigma: Music, Story, Graphics- The gameplay's a bit repetitive, and at a certain point you have to grind to proceed, but it is worth it.
Sonic Unleashed: Music, Gameplay, Story- Fast-paced Sonic action with a slightly tragic story that still manages to remain upbeat? Awesome music? One of my favorites, I wish I still had a copy of it.
Earthbound: Music, Story, Graphics- For a late-SNES era game, this is one of my absolute favorites, even though the gameplay wasn't the best. A group of kids set off on a quest to find fragments of a song and defeat ultimate evil? Quirky and heartwarming music that has made me laugh and cry? Cartoony graphics that are charming to look at? If nobody has played this game yet, I would highly recommend it, as long as you can get over the controls and the slow pace of battles.
Mother 3: It has everything, full stop. There's a fan translation out there that is really good, and it has a music-based battle system where you tap A to the beat to deliver up to 16-hit combos. It is also one of the darkest games I have ever played while still managing to be silly and heartwarming.

Some guilty pleasures:
Sonic '06.: Music- This game is bad. But in spite of its failings, somehow I like it.
Machine Knight: Graphics, Music- This is a mostly free (There are microtransactions) mobile RPG by a company named KEMCO. Are their games necessarily good? No. Do they always look good? No. Are the stor- no. This one stands out amongst them all because even though the story is a little nonsensical at times, and the gameplay can just be boiled down to autobattle everything until you get strong abilities, and the music can be repetitive... The graphics are better than most of their other games, and the story has had me engaged in spite of it.

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
For me it’s a lot like finding a good restaurant. You want a game to do what it does simply and superbly. Minimize fluff and don’t try to do too many things at once.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
I'm afraid I'm shallow as hell. Now adays, if the game stars a human, it's gameplay footage better blow my mind, and there should be other goodguys besides humans/be restricted to mostly humans on both sides, or else I'll generally pass on the game. In all honesty, anthros and non-humans really do draw my attention to games. I won't just buy a game with anthros in it if it looks bad, but if it looks really good, it's usually an Asap Buy for me.

Thrix

Gameplay is very important to me; specifically I tend to enjoy action games such as platformers where my reflexes and abilities to adapt to any situation is mandatory for my survival. I also enjoy survival horror games for similar reasons; I enjoy having to use a combination of reflexes, adaptability and thinking ahead. Secondly, the overall presentation is important to me. With this I don't mean graphics; I couldn't care less about graphics or how cinematic a game is. I'm looking at how the world is designed, its atmosphere, its characters, its art direction and the music of the game (game music is actually very important to me...I was fully sold on Snake Pass once I learned that it was composed by David Wise). I enjoy when games do something unique that also feels familiar; it's why I tend to gravitate toward Nintendo games...they have the same characters and worlds you've grown to love but they always offer something new from a gameplay perspective. Of course I like new IPs as well so don't get the wrong idea.

Lokin Lynkast

Heckin Meow
I prefer open world games that include multiplayer, but not RPG. I become invested in player culture, factions, and community, as it helps build immersion in the game. Also, permadeath? As in you start from the very beginning if you die?

Yeah, actually. I'm focusing on making the gameplay as tactical as possible, and never putting you in an unfair situation. Every time you make an action, everything else makes an action too. For example, moving means every other thing can move too. Fire spreads when you move, oxygen drains when you move, enemies move when you move, etc. The point of this is to allow chess like gameplay, where you plan out your actions and execute them. That's the main player interaction method. Look, Plan, Execute, Adapt. By doing this, It gives the player plenty of opportunity to make good decisions and plan according to their environment, and it also means that your character's run has constant pressure; life, hunger, thirst, ammo, fuel... all commodities feel much more valuable, and this in turn forces your hand in having to go and trade, grow or salvage them.

A

Amiir

My absolute requirements: 1) interesting story and / or world; 2) fun gameplay. I can look past shitty graphics for instance or forgettable / bad music

Arko90

Dragon Lover
Multiplayer/Competitive... it's stronger than me ^^'

Butt_Ghost

Caffeine-based lifeform.
I tend to look for a few things:
Interesting story/art/game world
Good or challenging gameplay
Immersion

The rest of the game can suck if it's good enough at doing any of those things. Examples: I've dumped a lot of time into Morrowind just because of immersion and the style of the game world even though I think the game mechanics aren't any fun. I think SOMA is great for the story even though it's basically devoid of any gameplay. Quake 3 delivers on nothing but gameplay and that's enough that I'm still playing it today. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has all three and is, in my opinion, one of the best things ever.

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
What ever really catches my fancy really. It's gameplay that gets to be. Something exciting with a good learning curve and solid balance.

I am kinda a shooter guy to be honest, though I enjoy slower stregety games of course.

Pinky_the_demon

Gay Pink Husky who cant afford a fursuit.
I like alot of various games for different reasons just like most people
However if I had to pick a genre that I play the most it's musical rhythm style games

Favorites include
Parappa the rapper HD
Rez infinite
Hatsune miku
&
Frequency for the PS2

V

Vitaly

1. Design (including soundtrack).
2. Mechanics.
3. Lore.

That’s why Dark Souls is my favorite game series.

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
Gameplay first.
In other words, it should be mechnically sound and enjoyable to play and challenging, so 95% of Triple A games fall out of that criteria.
Cuphead, Doom (2016) and Dark Souls stand out amongst the crowd for being examples of these qualities.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Heavily depends on situation? I mean, there are days when all I want is an engaging storyline and good atmosphere, so I boot up Persona or some visual novels, but there are also days when all I want is to build/wreak crap in amusing way, so I go to Minecraft and SimCity, but sometimes I want to shoot people, so Killzone is here for me, but I also play Hitman if I ever want to be a sneaky bastard... etc, etc.

In other words, just do your best in boundaries of genre and style you chose, and you'll attract some niche of customers that would like to play your games for some particular reason. Even just listing fantasy RPGs - there's Final Fantasy for classic JRPG fans, Dark Souls for die-hard adventurers, TES for deep roleplayers, Darkest Dungeon for board game fans, etc. Find your niche and build your foundation around that. And as primary rule, make it as close to your vision as possible for it to be while still remaining good and playable - after all, people make videogames to tell their stories and visions, there's no art in catering to particular audience without a reason.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 82554

Story.
Graphics.
Gameplay.
Mechanics.
Originality.

That's about it. I find most AAA games to be lacking lately, so that counts most of them out.

No off I go to play Brutal Legend, that looks interesting.