• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What happened to freakin toys!? No not sex toys perv.

Dreltox

Everyone likes men. EVERYONE.
So, I'm taking care of my friends kid for a few days and he has a transformers toy. Now, this toy has a difficulty of two, and it is the hardest thing I have ever tried to put together. Rubiks Cubes are easier! I remember when they were just move in legs, twist and then its a truck! Not rearrange arms fix truck top put feet in...FUCK YOU OPTIMUS PRIME! why can't this 4 year old put it together himself!? GRAH!

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
I have, what I assume, is a early/mid 90's Transformers toy on my desk, the jet one. It's quite easy to figure out but yeah, some of that new shit needs more instructions than a freakin' Lego set!

Wolf-Bone

Banned
Banned
I worked in just about one of the biggest toy stores in the province for a bit, and to this day I still struggle not just to hate parents, but the kids they're raising. When I was a kid, the biggest toy I had was a ring for my WWF action figures, which themselves had very simple actions and not much in the way of movable parts. It cost about 30 bucks iirc. Now it's routine for a single package to take up an entire fucking shopping cart and to see the parent rotating through their credit cards attempting to pay for it until they get to the one that isn't already maxed out.

CAThulu

In FAF CAThulu lies dreaming..
I worked in just about one of the biggest toy stores in the province for a bit, and to this day I still struggle not just to hate parents, but the kids they're raising. When I was a kid, the biggest toy I had was a ring for my WWF action figures, which themselves had very simple actions and not much in the way of movable parts. It cost about 30 bucks iirc. Now it's routine for a single package to take up an entire fucking shopping cart and to see the parent rotating through their credit cards attempting to pay for it until they get to the one that isn't already maxed out.

Oh...you forgot to mention the kids that take the toys for a 'test drive' in the middle of the store without being paid for first.

The toy/ educational store I worked for was right next to a children's doctor, and the parents would always promise them a trip to the store if they were good. My favourite was two kids that were so sick that I personally sat them down, put on dora, and got them water while their mother who obviously didn't care, continued shopping. The poor things were so pale and happy just to be resting.

Or the kid that was given an expensive toy just to get him to stop whining BEFORE he went to get his hair cut. Ugh...the stories I can tell about that place.

Anyway...yes. Toys. Some are cool now and I'm glad their out, because they are fun for my nephews...but the good ol toys are just as great if parents would actually think about them.

I got my nephew a car that had a balloon strapped to the top, and when you blew it up the car raced across the kitchen floor. Out of everything my nephew got for his fourth birthday, that was his favourite (I am an AWESOME aunt :D ). My FATHER used to play with that same toy when he was a kid. just goes to show you that the classics are sometimes better *L*.

Also...never underestimate the power of a storybook. Especially with toddlers...unless you're the kind that don't want to spend a few minutes to read to your kid.

CAThulu

Wolf-Bone

Banned
Banned
Oh...you forgot to mention the kids that take the toys for a 'test drive' in the middle of the store without being paid for first.

The toy/ educational store I worked for was right next to a children's doctor, and the parents would always promise them a trip to the store if they were good. My favourite was two kids that were so sick that I personally sat them down, put on dora, and got them water while their mother who obviously didn't care, continued shopping. The poor things were so pale and happy just to be resting.

Or the kid that was given an expensive toy just to get him to stop whining BEFORE he went to get his hair cut. Ugh...the stories I can tell about that place.

Anyway...yes. Toys. Some are cool now and I'm glad their out, because they are fun for my nephews...but the good ol toys are just as great if parents would actually think about them.

I got my nephew a car that had a balloon strapped to the top, and when you blew it up the car raced across the kitchen floor. Out of everything my nephew got for his fourth birthday, that was his favourite (I am an AWESOME aunt :D ). My FATHER used to play with that same toy when he was a kid. just goes to show you that the classics are sometimes better *L*.

Also...never underestimate the power of a storybook. Especially with toddlers...unless you're the kind that don't want to spend a few minutes to read to your kid.

Yeah, this is a fucked up generation we're raising/being a part of. Kids using/manipulating their parents and serving as a form of social control on the one hand, parents treating their kids as pets/burdens on the other, and more often than not it's varying degrees of both in the same entity.

Sadly, at that same store I worked at, the book/creative section was the most neglected, lowest-priority. And they left it on guys like me to stop just short of outright lying about the educational value of some toys/games.

I refuse to be a part of it.

Lazydabear

Your Bear of Crap Wisdom
I use to remember old Transformer toys from 1980's sometimes not that easy to set up when you try to transform them.

CAThulu

Yeah, this is a fucked up generation we're raising/being a part of. Kids using/manipulating their parents and serving as a form of social control on the one hand, parents treating their kids as pets/burdens on the other, and more often than not it's varying degrees of both in the same entity.

Sadly, at that same store I worked at, the book/creative section was the most neglected, lowest-priority. And they left it on guys like me to stop just short of outright lying about the educational value of some toys/games.

I refuse to be a part of it.

Well...discipline and instilling value is too much work for some people, especially in an age where both parents are working. It's easier for parents to give in, which is sad. Watching my brother and his wife raise their kids...i'm proud of them. My oldest nephew is four, and while he has his moments he is a REALLY good kid who never breaks his toys, puts them away when he's asked, will say please, thank you, and will actively share and play with his baby brother without being asked to. He's a great kid being raised by great parents, and sadly a rare thing in this day and age.

When it comes to kids being unruly because of the lack of structure and attention from their parents, I comfort myself with the knowledge that one day they'll turn 16, and then the parents are going to start to regret that they never bothered to instill values in their 'princess'.

Wolf-Bone

Banned
Banned
Well...discipline and instilling value is too much work for some people, especially in an age where both parents are working. It's easier for parents to give in, which is sad. Watching my brother and his wife raise their kids...i'm proud of them. My oldest nephew is four, and while he has his moments he is a REALLY good kid who never breaks his toys, puts them away when he's asked, will say please, thank you, and will actively share and play with his baby brother without being asked to. He's a great kid being raised by great parents, and sadly a rare thing in this day and age.

When it comes to kids being unruly because of the lack of structure and attention from their parents, I comfort myself with the knowledge that one day they'll turn 16, and then the parents are going to start to regret that they never bothered to instill values in their 'princess'.

Yeah, it's so nice that the majority of the middle/working class population has to be greedy, or at least put on a good show of being greedy to feed the richest 5% of the population's greed. That's what it's all for, to funnel the bulk of the money up to them and keep a few crumbs here and there like, a house. Which even then really belongs to their bank/credit card company, not them.

You're right, there are parents who really are doing it differently and thus, raising a different, better kind of kid than has probably ever existed at any point in recent history. I'd be really worried if I were that 5%. Because the 5% is going to be reduced to about one percent, and it'll be those kids taking it from them. Probably by force, and probably with the idiocracy on their side.

Children will always follow an adult who obviously knows what he's doing, and in the end, they'll always figure out whose really the adult and whose just the big kid who wants really bad to be seen as one so they can keep all the nicest toys for themselves.

InuAkiko

Waiting for life to get good
OP, this is where I act like a nerd and ask....was it the leader class Optimus Prime? If so, good fucking luck figuring that shit out. I had to look up a vid on youtube in order to figure it out. The instructions are just stupid pictures that don't even really explain....a little bendy arrow on his chest does NOT tell me I'm supposed to pop the chest plate out of its socket and flip it around >[
Also, gotta love how at the end it just says 'To change back to a robot, reverse these instructions.' FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfff

Also, kids are spoiled little shits nowadays. I work at the movies and have to put up with their crap all the time. Stupid parents spending $23 on 3d tix for them and their toddler.......WHO IS NOT GOING TO SIT STILL AND WATCH THE MOVIE. Seriously. And they buy them a shitload of junkfood from the stand and don't understand why they're barfing all over the floor. Or when I'm trying to clean the theater and super-mega-soccer mom bitches to me to hurry up because her kid doesn't want to wait outside anymore. God forbid.

Okay, I think I'm done now *falls over*

BakuryuuTyranno

Do not eat this tyrannosaurus.
Actually, in the late 90's, some guy (who was in early teen years at the time) had one of those Transformers Beast Wars combiners and got pissed when he couldn't transform it.

Come to think of it, Beast Wars toys' limbs and such were made detachable so people wouldn't break them while trying to transform them

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
I had a lot of the old transformers. Still do.

I'm half tempted to ebay them. Original Starscream fuck year.

A

Azbulldog

My friend's little brother would have these toys, come up to me and ask me to transform them. I would just stare at it blankly.

Beta Link

Not a Bird
Well in my experience, being a former TF nerd, it's only hard to transform a figure the first time. After that, it's pretty easy. Plus, they come with instruction manuals, so if you really can't figure out how to do it, you can just follow the instructions. Even though that way you don't get the same warm feeling inside you usually get from figuring it out yourself... But yeah. I have something like 50 Transformers, and there are maybe 3 or 4 that I don't know how to transform.

Ceuper

The Bucket of Truth
lolz the only toys I ever had were toy cars. I did all kinds of things with those. I'm pretty sure I've never owned an action figure.

Shino

Now with more Writer's Block!
My three favorite childhood toys: the five-gallon bucket of Legos (the good single-width kind, not the toddler-style big bricks), my Apple IIGS computer, and my electronic keyboard (that's the piano sound?!?).

That, and books. I read like there was no tomorrow. I swear, the librarian must of hated me, I was single-handedly responsible for filling the returned books box in elementary school, I read so fast.

I didn't have any of those fancy-smancy transformer toys. Hell, most toys still came in metal back then.

Now that I'm older, I prefer toys of a different kind...

InuAkiko

Waiting for life to get good
Plus, they come with instruction manuals, so if you really can't figure out how to do it, you can just follow the instructions.

Lies.