• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What is a furry?

Somnium

The Sparklewolf
Banned
Let's imagine you were asked to briefly explain what a furry is to people who know little to nothing about them. What would you say? However the goal here is to give the least cringy explanation and not send them a wrong message.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
The absolute minimum would be if you like animal based characters, examples such as Disney's robin hood, zootopia, or even wile coyote for that matter, because they're all personified animals, physically or socially, and made into characters.

Dearg

The often grumpy but friendly fox
that's kind of a tough question sometimes. How to tell someone without scaring them off? hmm.....We are enthusiast of anthropomorphic/ cartoon animals? We are artist, writers, game developers, world builders, musicians, performers, voice actors and etc...etc...

Last edited:

FoxInTheCloset

The Over Caffeinated Vulpine
I just would say it is an internet based community of people who appreciate the artwork of animals, primarily anthropomorphic ones. Ranging of many different mediums.
If you delve deeper into it, you can say people choose animals to represent themselves when online as an alter ego I guess.

_Hushy

Isn't it simply someone attracted to anthros?
I would choose particular FA art over movie characters though, as much as its an example of an anthro, I wouldn't say this is what I'm into then show them a cartoon character :D

F

FeydFawx

It's a one sentence explanation:
Someone who likes anthropromorphic animals as an art style.
Simple and not... self defeating.

MEDS

Non-medicinal Foxicorn
@Somnium anal? You're gay as fuck man.
lol keep it up :3
upload_2016-7-18_7-50-21.png

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
Someone who is typically into art. Mostly art of animals, not just Anthromorphic ones. They don't have to be capable of drawing to enjoy seeing others creations come to life, of possible pay others to make their own creations come to life. They can be rather theatrical. Liking to dress up as Anthro animals, that most have a cartoony aspect to them, and go to conventions to meet up with others who share similar interests. Some even like to dance while in costume. There is a darker side, but every fandom attracts weirdos. The Furry One just tends to attract more. But basically it's filled to the brim with eccentric, artistic, individuals.

Nataku

Shapeshifting alien dragon
I've explained furry to many a person who has been curious about what's in my sketchbook.
"You know Walt Disney? Mickey Mouse? You know the talking mouse? That's an anthro. You know Bugs Bunny? Also an anthro."

It's that. Fucking. Simple.
Everyone seems to try and make it into some great existential means of identification or a smut fest. No. If you are trying to explain furry to someone who doesn't know, you keep it short and simple.

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
I've explained furry to many a person who has been curious about what's in my sketchbook.
"You know Walt Disney? Mickey Mouse? You know the talking mouse? That's an anthro. You know Bugs Bunny? Also an anthro."

It's that. Fucking. Simple.
Everyone seems to try and make it into some great existential means of identification or a smut fest. No. If you are trying to explain furry to someone who doesn't know, you keep it short and simple.
People know what Anthros are.. The question was, 'What is a Furry?'. As in, what makes a person a Furry.

Nataku

People know what Anthros are.. The question was, 'What is a Furry?'. As in, what makes a person a Furry.
Again, keep it super short and simple.
Furry is a person who like anthros. Ie 'did you like watching Loony Tunes as a kid? Congrats, you're furry.'

Don't bore with details about what is or isn't a furry. Because there is no official definition. And broad sweeping strokes like that are inclusive of a larger audience. Audiences are less likely to be self critical. If they've already gone 'well yeah, I guess I did like watching Loony Tunes' then the battle is already won. Or rather one needn't carry it any further because they can damn well go look it up on their own if they have any further interest (hint: if they have any further interest they really are furry).

_Hushy

Again, keep it super short and simple.
Furry is a person who like anthros. Ie 'did you like watching Loony Tunes as a kid? Congrats, you're furry.'

Don't bore with details about what is or isn't a furry. Because there is no official definition. And broad sweeping strokes like that are inclusive of a larger audience. Audiences are less likely to be self critical. If they've already gone 'well yeah, I guess I did like watching Loony Tunes' then the battle is already won. Or rather one needn't carry it any further because they can damn well go look it up on their own if they have any further interest (hint: if they have any further interest they really are furry).

Anyone can appreciate art, I thought being furry was more about the attraction.. which is why I'd rather not use just any anthro as an example.

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
As I've said to many people who have asked, it's a preference for anthropomorphic animals in the media you consume. You could also say people who are furries like things that have to do with animals more, etc...

When I was at the panel for furry psychology at anthrocon, I was given a definition that could summarize what a furry was in one sentence but alas I forget what it was

Nataku

Anyone can appreciate art, I thought being furry was more about the attraction.. which is why I'd rather not use just any anthro as an example.
Please read the second paragraph of my last post. If we can include 'anyone' then it is no longer an 'us' against 'the masses' as we have, by such a broad statement become the masses. And the masses are sheep and easily led to believe whatever you want.

Attraction has nothing to do with being furry. There are asexual furs out there. I'm an asexual fur. I don't care what species or combination there of a character or being happens to be, I'm not attracted to them. Still a furry.

Rigby

Diaperfurs 4 Lyfe
Being a furry isn't about sex or art, it's about an identification with cartoon/anthro animals, to put it simply.

If we can include 'anyone' then it is no longer an 'us' against 'the masses' as we have, by such a broad statement become the masses. And the masses are sheep and easily led to believe whatever you want.
And you're the brave contradiction to their mainstream ignorance. Godspeed, asexual shapeshifting alien dragon with opinions on the internet!

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
I'd describe a furry as "Someone who enjoys content revolving around the idea of making nonhumans closer to humans."
I'd probably get a C- on a test if that were the question, though.

My explanation usually starts with "The Rescuers" or "The Rescuers Down Under". Innocent enough. You like media, or to create media featuring Anthro Characters, and you may or may not have created on for yourself.