• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What is a fursona to you?

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
It's kind of a mix of things. I sometimes use him as a personal avatar, but he's also kind of an avenue for wish fulfillment.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I've had a "Jared the fox" years ago, but I've dropped my self-insert aspect of my story. Truth be told my characters shouldn't be weighted down by their creator. My characters are out there and over the top, I would only make them lame by inserting myself into the story.

The_biscuits_532

Eternally Confused Feline
I've had a "Jared the fox" years ago, but I've dropped my self-insert aspect of my story. Truth be told my characters shouldn't be weighted down by their creator. My characters are out there and over the top, I would only make them lame by inserting myself into the story.
I get you, almost all my OCs are designed to fit into the same narrative but my main noticeably doesn't, simply because she doesn't fit at all in the setting.

Which is good, in a way. It means I can use her for the more wholesome art.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I get you, almost all my OCs are designed to fit into the same narrative but my main noticeably doesn't, simply because she doesn't fit at all in the setting.

Which is good, in a way. It means I can use her for the more wholesome art.

Yeah, it's mostly because I don't see "myself" fighting all my characters in a big Star Wars like lore. I'd rather be George Lucas and just write what is off the top of my head, but I getcha.

The_biscuits_532

Yeah, it's mostly because I don't see "myself" fighting all my characters in a big Star Wars like lore. I'd rather be George Lucas and just write what is off the top of my head, but I getcha.
Yeah. Most of my characters at the moment fit into this urban gang violence plot idea I've got going but my main is me, or rather a dream version

So someone with a peaceful countryside life that has a cozy home and writes books.

Which doesn't exactly fit in.

Although funnily enough, because I've characterised her as a writer, I've entertained the idea of her being the author of the other series. So it's a meta story.

The_Happiest_Husky

Dealer of Black Market Headpats
Nat's just me, minus my lack of self confidence and short temper
He's who I wish I was, and who I am completely able to become with enough work

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Yeah. Most of my characters at the moment fit into this urban gang violence plot idea I've got going but my main is me, or rather a dream version

So someone with a peaceful countryside life that has a cozy home and writes books.

Which doesn't exactly fit in.

Although funnily enough, because I've characterised her as a writer, I've entertained the idea of her being the author of the other series. So it's a meta story.

Hmm, ever heard of Necromunda? It's sort of like Warhammer mixed with gang violence.

I hear you, I live in the woods and yet Grief is almost always fighting in a city, Scylla too. A lot of urban combat in my story for someone who lives out in the sticks. XD

The_biscuits_532

Hmm, ever heard of Necromunda? It's sort of like Warhammer mixed with gang violence.

I hear you, I live in the woods and yet Grief is almost always fighting in a city, Scylla too. A lot of urban combat in my story for someone who lives out in the sticks. XD
I think it's just easier to write about cities. Barely anything happened in the town I was living in when I first created Stephanie.

Iza, on the other hand, the first of my story OCs, came about very shortly after I moved out of my parents into the city for University. Her being loud and obnoxious is absolutely based on my annoying hall mates (I've moved out of them too now, thank fuck).

It wasn't however until I created Constantine that I committed to the urban setting and the gang violence thing. And he came about after I joined amino and got bored by the sheer amount of of uwu cuddly OCs I saw, and decided to make an unapologetically dickish character that looks like starts fights for fun.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I think it's just easier to write about cities. Barely anything happened in the town I was living in when I first created Stephanie.

Iza, on the other hand, the first of my story OCs, came about very shortly after I moved out of my parents into the city for University. Her being loud and obnoxious is absolutely based on my annoying hall mates (I've moved out of them too now, thank fuck).

It wasn't however until I created Constantine that I committed to the urban setting and the gang violence thing. And he came about after I joined amino and got bored by the sheer amount of of uwu cuddly OCs I saw, and decided to make an unapologetically dickish character that looks like starts fights for fun.

Yeah, even Grief will state stomping through the countryside is BORING. Even if most of the rebels against his Order hide out in there.

Scylla and Grief have other inspirations, but they can be quite..loud...as in giant monster attack loud.

A lot of battles in my story take place in urban combat. Ironically enough, characters like Monica come from what would be ubran Atlanta, because the Order recruits them from the City of Siag. (Which is basically my evil Atlanta in my story.)

(Art made by Goal21 on Deviantart.)

art_trade_by_goal21_demam1n-fullview.jpg

Chomby

I'm back.
For me, i view sonas as basically versions of my human self from other dimensions, kinda like the different kind of mortys in rick and morty.

Yeah. I see my fursona the same way due to how we are so similar, yet different. We have different backstories and goals in life, but it feels as if we share the same soul (a bit dramatic but I couldn't think of how else to describe it lol).

My fursona is also a way for me to feel somewhat confident. I deal with a lot of self-hatred regarding both my outward appearance and my personality. Ash is an escape from that. He fills the void that I've developed by simply being himself and having insecurities as well. I relate to him and feel less alone.

You could compare us both to Venom from Marvel. We are ASH.

quoting_mungo

It’s really cool to read the different takes on what connection people have to their fursonas, and the concept of a fursona. I feel like a lot like the base term “furry,” there’s common threads but also a lot of personal nuance to the definitions people have in their heads.

I would like to ask, as the thread starter, that the tangent on specific story plots be dropped. Mentioning OCs as a contrast to your fursona is fine. Anything more in-depth than a one or two-sentence synopsis of the frame story that goes with your OCs probably doesn’t belong in this thread.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
My fursona used to be a way to represent myself in art. I'd make stories about them and such, and portray myself as an animal.

Lately I've been very detached and my imagination seems to have died. I no longer feel a connection to the characters I create. It sucks.

Shane McNair

Ace Pilot
It took me some time to come up with a response to this question that I felt was adequate.

As others have said, a fursona can be many different things to different people. But mine is much, much more to me than just the profile pic you see here. Shane is a character with a lot of depth and complexity, with his own story, his own personality, background, and life experiences that have shaped him, and I'm still fleshing out the details of who he is all the time. He started out years ago as character I came up with to be the main protagonist in a story setting of mine, and that's still primarily what he is. I didn't use him initially to represent me in any way, but as I developed him and worked out some of the nuances of who he is, and as my perception of him became clearer, I came to really like him a lot. Previously I was a bit averse to the idea of having a fursona, but creating Shane changed that. So, I decided to make him my fursona and use him as an avatar for myself, because he does reflect a few things about me in real life, but he also reflects a lot more about the kind of person I would like to be and, I think, should aspire to be.

I've imbued him with some of the best qualities a person can have. He is a highly motivated man of action, a go-getter and a doer who is energetic, a quick thinker, and a problem solver. He is a disciplined, aggressive, and a highly self-confident combat airman with a strong warrior ethos. He is morally and physically courageous, fair and sincere, and above all, selfless, steadfastly loyal, and devoted. I like to think of him as the sort who can either be your greatest friend, or your worst enemy. Because of his strong sense of loyalty, and his perhaps naive expectation of the same from others, he doesn't deal with betrayal very well. He also has a bit of a carefree, happy-go-lucky side to him and a taste for adventure that has driven a lot of the direction of his life. Naturally, he isn't perfect. He doesn't always succeed in living up to others' expectations or even his own standards, which can be very disappointing to him. Like anyone else he has his moral failings and weaknesses, and he can sometimes have a lot trouble moving past a sense of guilt arising from mistakes he has made, which in some instances can create a bit of self-doubt. There may be times when he is tempted by evil or faced with a moral dilemma and he doesn't necessarily make the right choice. However, he still strives to follow his conscience and do what is right, however difficult it may be. Two things I admire most about him are his ability to persevere, and his willingness to sacrifice himself for those he cares about. I've really come to love who he is, and I think my exploration of his character is still far from over.

I do have other characters who exist in Shane's world, but none that I connect with on that same personal level. As a product of my mind that I've invested so much of myself into, Shane is inextricably linked with me, and I've grown to love him in a way that I suppose is similar to how a parent would love their child. At the same time, I also look up to him as someone to idolize and pattern my own behavior after, as you might do with an older brother. In some way, I like to think of him as a mentor as I think about the situations he might face, and how he might deal with them. Sometimes, there are situations in my own everyday life where I may find myself asking "what would Shane do?"

Last edited:

reptile logic

An imposter among aliens.
We've had more and more "what is X aspect of your fursona like?" threads cropping up, and it got me thinking about the ways different people relate to the word.

To me, a fursona has to have some aspect of self-representation to it. My own fursona is simply an aesthetic superimposed over myself, so to speak. My "malesona" is a sort of... idealized furry me, in some ways that are hard to explain (especially while keeping things PG-13). My ex's fursona was an aesthetic superimposed over him, while at the same time being an independent character with his own life and backstory - I don't know how much those two coexisted, if at all (by "coexisted" I mean... whether he saw himself in the character when he thought of the backstory, and whether the character's backstory was a factor when he used the character to represent himself).

I also see some people who seem to call all their original furry characters fursonas, which I will admit confuses me a bit. Maybe I'm just getting old. ;)

So how do you relate to the term and/or concept of a fursona? How do you see your own fursona?

I've always thought of my 'sona as an idealized form of me as well; with a similar, if much more worldly and long view outlook on life. Given the opportunity; were it possible to match the vision in my mind, I would still gladly assume that form.

Perhaps like your ex's 'sona, mine took on an independent life of its own when one evening I started asking 'what if' questions in my mind and wrote down my answers in a narrative. I wrote those stories as an observer, not a participant. Those experiences belong to that character alone. My 'sona and this character are two distinct individuals.

It took me a long time (years), to work my mind around being or projecting myself (feelings, thoughts, etc.) into an Anthro being. I had no trouble doing this with ferals, but when you start tacking on human attributes things just seemed to go sideways for me. . .

My 'sona is feral. Her verbal communication skills are practically nonexistent. Aside from high intelligence and a sense of empathy for other people (defined as members of species that can readily convey their thoughts and ideas to others), she shares no physical traits with humans. Despite my (own) unimpeded speaking ability, that's the being that I felt in touch with.

Last edited:

AniwayasSong

I've always thought of my 'sona as an idealized form of me as well; with a similar, if much more worldly and long view outlook on life. Given the opportunity; were it possible to match the vision in my mind, I would still gladly assume that form.

Perhaps like your ex's 'sona, mine took on an independent life of its own when one evening I started asking 'what if' questions in my mind and wrote down my answers in a narrative. I wrote those stories as an observer, not a participant. Those experiences belong to that character alone. My 'sona and this character are two distinct individuals.

My 'sona is feral. Her verbal communication skills are practically nonexistent. Aside from high intelligence and a sense of empathy for other people, she shares no physical traits with humans. Despite my unimpeded speaking ability, that's the being that I felt in touch with.
As I said, I also don't/didn't have much trouble putting myself into a feral form. Sheer animal instincts, or even if I added self-awareness and a higher intelligence in understanding the world around them, or perhaps a more complex social system than wild animals actually have. It's a dicey, fine line to walk no doubt.
Once arms/legs/speech steps into the picture, that's what I had to give a lot of consideration towards.
Thanks for the reply!