• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What is something interesting about you?

Lucidus

Banned
Banned
What is something interesting about you? What is apart of your story? Unless you regularly interact, it can be hard to remember others as its bits and pieces scattered all over the place. Thought I'd start with I'm a bit of a travelling Gypsy and have done quite a bit of crazy travel and jobs myself.

Im 25 and started out building houses in the construction industry in Wa state and then Idaho. Market crashed and I went to school and became a wild-land fire fighter. I wanted a degree so I continued college and started making long term plans to transfer to the east to continue my education as I have seen everything in the west but never been east.

I set up the back of my truck to live out of and settled on going to Virginia as a transfer student. Hit the road for a year in total travelling seeing the USA and working my way east. I heard about the oil boom at this time and decided not to go for the sake of education.

Find myself in Va after about 6 mo of travel. I start working a few full time jobs while continuing my education. Some scholarships fall through and I'm broke. Take a break from school again and head to Williston ND with a bud to find oil field work. Everyone is homeless as there is just no housing. I am set up fortunately for long term living in the back cube space of my truck. I also have a cousin there and park my truck on his lot.

Got a job as a roughneck on the workover rigs with wisco as a floor hand. Crazy company and hours. Worked 136 hours a week with no rotation or time off. Sundays where 1k days. makn about 8k a month with no experience. Taking four hour naps every-night. A spot had opened up for me because the guy whose spot I had taken had gottn rapped up in the rods and broke up his body. Insurance companies give you 3 months as the stat before you get killed or seriously injured for rig hands.

Two months later. Im a Derrick hand in the tower and have already had 3 close calls that should have killed me but was spared. I remember one time when I was working nights in the blasting rain and the operator was slammn pipe down hole. [He later was fired for drug use] He was hauling so fast that he was pulling the assist and throwing the slips to slow down the pipe before it crashed into the floor. This is the equivalent to driving so fast that you have to pull the emergency break and throw it in park to stop in time for the next red light. Needless to say the pipe that was being fed onto the floor got caught up in the tong and leveraged my end about 30 feet into the air. I remember looking up at it and watching it coming crashing down toward my head. The joints weigh about 75 lbs. I jumped off the cat walk backward and hit who knows what as the rig comes to a shaky stop.

So I get off that crew and onto another. Now Im in the tower throwing latches for the operator. The rig stacks out and the pipe comes flippn into the rig and misses me. Dang, number 4 that should have been fatal. A few weeks later a pipe comes swinging in and crushes my fingers against the header of the cat walk. Dang, blew out a finger and you can see the bone. Didn't make it to 3 months but my injury is nothing compared to a guy who just lost an arm today. I decide to take a vacation back to ID to see family and heal.

Come back healed but not having total feeling in my finger. Get a better job for Sun and a $10 raise. Im rolling 10k a month but hate my life. Still a derrick hand and this time have some time off [110 to 90hr weeks]. I also have the added perk of living in the man camps. Did i forget to mention that I have my dog, a golden retriever, with me the entire time? So we both move into a room with gratitude for Sun lettin me keep him there. Months later Im in the tower again after more stack outs and near misses. It was the day I worked my second longest day of 22 hrs [followed by 24 hrs] and the whole rig shakes. Im poised 50-90 ft off the ground waiting for my next latch when the jarring about throws me from the tubing board. I look up to see that the operator had crowned out. This is when the blocks of pulleys run to the top of the rig and hit the top. This normally destroys the rig with half a ton of load fallin on you and killing ya. He thinks he has hit a snag down hole and lets them down to punch it and crown out again. Crap, he can't see that he is about to kill the crew and me as it to dark out. he lowers the blocks to punch it a third time... its been a really long day. He finally hears the yelling and stops in time and we live for another day.

Next week, im on the floor and the backup derrick hand drops a 90 ft several hundred pound rod from the basket and it comes crashing down almost impaling my foot and grazes my hard hat. If it had hit my head or neck i would have been decapitated. Shoot number 5. I think its time I leave the oil field. Ill never forget the feeling of that I should be dead and not belonging in the current time. A month later winter is here ND has the third coldest city in the usa and got -70 degrees F that winter. I threw in the towel at -25 and headed back to Va having paid off debt and met my financial goals. At this point Ive been in my truck for a years worth of travel.

It gets 80 degrees warmer from ND to VA. Go back to school and decide that Id like to join the Army. Skip the following semester and go to basic training. Come back and now Im a SAW gunner in my unit and set to grad this May of 2015.

Plan on getting into the business/marketing field with my degree as well as real estate. We are set to deploy soon and after I get out I would like to either continue on into military intelligence or work for the FBI. Well that was longer than necessary, but needless to say im a kinda Gypsy and dont have any one home to settle in.

Last edited:

yesterday

This is on the wrong forum. It should be in the General Discussion forum.
Also, no offense, but... tl;dr much? Nobody's gonna read all of what you wrote there.

RedSavage1

DefunctDupAccount
This is on the wrong forum. It should be in the General Discussion forum.
Also, no offense, but... tl;dr much? Nobody's gonna read all of what you wrote there.
Oh. I literally just read the entire thing and found your comment saying that no one would read it all.
Huh.

Anyhow, that's pretty hardcore OP. Oil fields are rough work, and your safety is dependent on other people's ability. I too am looking to do exactly as you said, living out the back of a pickup I have with a camper shell to make the money Midland-Odessa where the money is good. Basically have that same sort of gypsy urge. However, I'm going to get my class A CDL so I can be a little bit more dependent on my own self for my safety. Basically spend as much time as possible -out- of the fields while still being in the industry.

Really it's all because I'm aware of all the drug use in the fields because I was the one selling them a lot of their paraphernalia, as well as their detox drinks so they could pass those drug tests. I worked in a smoke shop for the past few years, and I was carrying a pretty decent drug addiction for even longer. I did pretty much A from adderall on down while managing to stay away from crossing the line with anything like heroin or meth, but I'd be lying if I hadn't been on the edge of a very bad decision when it came to the latter. It was offered for free by someone in close proximity who had it, and for some reason at the time it was a dilemma to say no, even though I knew every bad thing there was about it.

I was born the son of nursing student and an ag-teacher, and would attend my own parent's wedding. I was more or less used and given lots of goodies to like my father when younger to make my mother feel like she had no choice but to marry him. As soon as the knot was tied, cue seventeen years of mental, emotional, and physical abuse. My father is psychotic and has sever issues and bullying his family while he sucks up to his social world is only one of the many results of him refusing to face his issues.

I myself nearly went down the same path. When I was 11-12 I started heavily repressing myself due to constant teasing of being 'gay' and the guilt/shame complex religion had instilled in me. (Imagine the first time I found out I could burn in hell for thinking a bad thought, oh boy). Add in the fact that I'd been molested at a young age by a playmate in a small town that more or less denied the other family's involvement and shunned me and mine, and that I would mature sexually very soon from it with lots of confusing feelings about it, set up this sort of perfect storm where I grew up depressed, angry, and kinda twisted. Anything that was "not straight" was gay in my little mind, so the largest thing I did was push the fact out of the mind that I felt as if I should have been born a woman.

Long story short, only very recently have I pulled out of this. I broke down and really got honest with myself about depression, my gender issues, and my resentments against my family for refusing to put me through any counseling and help for what had happened to me when younger (it was very much my own fault and something I could have totally avoided in their eyes, despite being only 5 at the time). I also faced the fact that I was an addict and had no mental capability to process any emotion other than anger. I came out five months ago, and though ti hasn't been a cake walk, I find myself reacting very differently to situations than I once did. Instead of getting angry at the way my family treats me, I get determined to work harder and get the hell out of here as soon as I can. I feel sorry for my father rather than wasting time and energy being angry for the way he treats me.

Basically I learned that I can in fact chase my own happiness and not let others dictate that, and that I can be whoever I want outside of any given definition or expectation.
So if that means being a heavy metal, long haul queen whose into rock'n'roll, guys and girls, and boots and jeans, then damn straight I'm going to do that. I'm 5 months into transition and have been taking HRT for that long as well. I'm far from going out as a woman to work and the likes, as rural-town-Texas would love to leave me in a ditch somewhere just for being a weird "tranny". But more and more I'm finding people okay with me being a transwoman, and take solace in the fact that I plan on taking that money from the oil fields elsewhere to finish my transition. And who knows, maybe one of my books or writing ventures will pay off and I could just travel around and do just that.

Basically I have goals and a plan, which was something I never had in my old life.
And as the daughter of a now nurse and ag-teacher, I find myself much happier, even if it isn't technically "easier".

OH and for the first time in four years I'm clean and sober. Guess that's worth mentioning (though technically it's what I should have been doing all along.)

Last edited:

Armored Chocobo

Let's Playing Avian
I live in a place. There's some trees and a couple buildings, not much. I don't go out too often cuz "holy crap, a talking chicken!" gets old after a while, so videogames and the internet is a good compromise right? I mean really, Vitamin D can be gotten indoors in little tablets. Screw that giant ball of explosions in the sky.

I do Let's Plays mostly. If you don't know what they are think a playthrough of a game combined with the commentary audio on a DVD, basically that. Got into that about 3 years ago when I saw DeceasedCrab doing it, which is a feat cuz keyboards are larger than most crabs.

I don't have a solid job because I made the stupid decision to go for a Bachelor Sci degree in Earth and Space science, and we all know those are SO useful in the middle of nowhere! Actually, I was going to be a teacher but the state passed a law that you needed a certain GPA to get into the teaching course, I was .1 off. They need more teachers, but they're gonna make the bar to become one even higher than before. LOGIC!

So I temp, just recently got off a 2 month stint at a mattress factory that was literally 95% hispanic (they had an issue a few years back where INS came in and the factory emptied out into the woods for a few hours), and they tossed all the temps out and replaced them with even more hispanics because they work cheaper and won't form lawsuits if they try to skimp on their checks, unlike one temp we were talking to where he's paid by how much fabric he makes, but they never told him how to claim it or gave him the form to. Basically, they were robbing him.

So because of that my goals are only short term. Pretty much right now I'm just aiming to upload some videos, get a Wii U, and start getting some of the student loans paid off while I have work.

Distorted

How are you not dead OP? That's some really scary stuff to go through. And then you join the military after that? You seem to have a liking for dangerous work. I'm ridiculously sheepish in comparison. I believe it's due to the sheltered life I've had most of my life.

I was the smart kid that didn't socialize. I focused on my studies and didn't care for much else. My hard work paid off when I got a scholarship to college. I thought I had a future and that I knew what I was going to do. But all of a sudden I started hearing voices. I would have panic attacks left and right and these states of being detached from my body. I went to a doctor and they found nothing wrong with me so I went to a psychiatrist and they said I was psychotic. My folks didn't believe it and dismissed my problems. They thought I needed more sleep and prayer.

When I got to college I was much worse. A certain voice would speak to me about how the world was going to end. He told me that my parents were controlling me with some unknown force and that people were plotting to kill me. As a result of my paranoia I wouldn't go to my classes and I hardly left my dorm room. I was convinced that the world was trying to communicate with me through the weather. So I would go out on nights when it stormed to see if I could decipher messages in the rain, clouds, thunder and lightning. I had made friends with the wind and she would try to teach me how to fly. I thought people were freely reading my mind because the radio tower nearby was transmitting my thoughts. I thought I could see auras and read the minds of people as well. Everyone would glare at me and talk about me, but I think that wasn't exactly true. And all the while the same voice would speak to me about everything. He was very aggressive and tried to make me do terrible things.

It got to a point where I was under academic probation and I had to start seeing a therapist. The therapist was very nice to me, and helped take me to a psychiatrist for another evaluation. They diagnosed me as psychotic just like before, but this time I was given medication to help me out. The night after I took the medication was very relieving. I hadn't had a moment of quiet for over a year. I continued seeing my therapist who helped me get used to my condition and find out more about myself. I would still see the psychiatrist as well and after a couple of months they told me that I had Paranoid Schizophrenia. I was in denial of the whole matter since I was doing so much better. And because I felt better, I figured I didn't need the medication anymore. I had stopped taking it cold turkey, which was a big mistake, and I wound up back to my old self within a week. I became suicidal and it took my therapist to convince me to take them again.

Even though the medication quieted things down, I wasn't quite myself. I learned that there were some things the meds couldn't fix like my apathy and lack of motivation. I was also still doing poorly in college. I couldn't concentrate like before and I kept having to repeat classes. I had lost my scholarship and I wound up back home again. I made a deal with my folks that I'd get a job and work out more if they helped me pay for college. I was determined to make things work. I didn't want to be a burden to my family. So I wound up getting a job and taking Taekwondo lessons while I went to college part time.

I was doing good for a while. So good that I......stopped my meds again. I lasted a year and a half before I started having troubles again. I had a series of unfortunate events and I became stressed to the point where I had another break. I started having very violent thoughts and voices telling me to kill my grandmother. I was asked to watch her for my family for a bit, but I became very agitated being around her. It got to a point where I stood behind her with a knife wondering if I should do it or not. They were trying to convince me that it was for the best. That it would be better for everyone if I did it. The voices got louder and louder and I was scared that I was actually going to do it. I couldn't take it so I left the house and tried to find someone to help me. After walking into my old school asking for help, I wound up going to a psychiatric ward for a week. I got back on my medication and now I've been at home for half a year feeling defeated in some way.

Every time something like this happens I feel very different. Almost like another person. I'm concerned that if I have another break than I won't be able to collect myself afterwards. I just feel tired all the time now, and shaken up. Which is pretty strange considering this is all in my head. It's not real, but for some reason it feels very real. I appear very nice and fun to people, but if they really knew what went on with me I'm sure they'd feel different. The illness makes you feel very lonely and strange.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
These posts are gargantuan. ._. I'm reading most of them. @Choco. I'm doing an earthsci degree, so I hopefully have better job prospects than you.

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
I think 'interesting' depends heavily on what one actually considers interesting.

But there's nothing here, I'm pretty boring.

Also, HOLY SHIT, reading... on a forum? How dare you make me read. Get the fuck out of here. :V

RedSavage1

DefunctDupAccount
Man I'm lad I copped out of college before I graduated with something kind of jobless. The economy really is kinda shit and it's not just me.

@Distorted: Man, that's rough. Paranoid Shinzophrenia sounds like a real bitch, and from what I understand tends to show up in the young adult years. Stay on your medicine. It helps because it works. Also realize that it's a treatment--not a -cure-. I've been on antidepressants for a bit, and I was tight tight on money so I went a couple weeks without it. Terrible decision. I mean--nothing had changed. In fact things had gotten a little better. I knew how to be positive. But the depression slammed back worst than ever and I took longer to reorient myself.

I'm not saying my situation is comparable to yours. I'm just saying that you're going through something very real and you need to keep on your med routine. This is okay. You're not a lesser person. I mean Lance Armstrong had like three balls and was still good enough to cheat and dope at the Tour De France and have his medals revoked. U: But in all seriousness the last thing you need to feel bad about is that your meds work. I kinda felt that way about antidepressants and then it was like, "Wait, these thing -work-. Why am I trying to get depressed about it?"

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
The affectionate nickname "Brainbox" carried over from school to university. This made me pretty happy in my-self considering your course is meant to be filled with other super smart people, and I wasn't expecting my ability to be that much better than anyone elses.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
I HAVE GIGANTIC PET BUGS.

Gronix

Catless Cat Lady
I was born with a 6th finger on my right hand.
It was coming out of my thumb. Now that they cut it out, I can twist my thumb around and make people sick with it :3

Hikaru Okami

Radiant Wolf
Holy shiet! What is this, the tl;dr thread?

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
I've been elbow deep in peoples guts on several occasions. I'm intimately familiar with the internal layout of people. And I've been exposed to more gore than any horror movie could ever offer.

I'm also a compulsive hand washer V: working in hospitals does that to you.

RedSavage1

DefunctDupAccount
I HAVE GIGANTIC PET BUGS.

holy shit are you serious? i just checked your scraps and you have a giant stick bug holy shit you are serious. PLEASE upload more. pet bugs are awesome ;w;

Holy shiet! What is this, the tl;dr thread?

I guess on your perspective this is either an 'interesting quip" about you or an "interesting backstory".
Either/or I'm okay with this. :3c

The happier I am the more fidgety I get.

That's adorable!!

I've been elbow deep in peoples guts on several occasions. I'm intimately familiar with the internal layout of people. And I've been exposed to more gore than any horror movie could ever offer.
I'm also a compulsive hand washer V: working in hospitals does that to you.

Oh snap! Surgeon or like--morgue type stuff? I am morbidly intrigued.

Holy crap this thread is awesome KEEP IT UP PEOPLES.

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
Oh snap! Surgeon or like--morgue type stuff? I am morbidly intrigued.

Surgery stuff. I'm a surgical technician. I thankfully don't have to deal with the dead bodies. We wheel them into a freezer and someone else goes n gets em. Except for organ harvests. Those are the absolute worst. The bodies after those are pure nightmare material the way they're cracked opened and emptied out.

Hikaru Okami

Radiant Wolf
I have the ability to be very boring. Seriously, I got nothing.

Kosdu

I do pencak silat, still early in learning, though.
Do aikido too, just not what I am studying this moment.

RedSavage1

DefunctDupAccount
Surgery stuff. I'm a surgical technician. I thankfully don't have to deal with the dead bodies. We wheel them into a freezer and someone else goes n gets em. Except for organ harvests. Those are the absolute worst. The bodies after those are pure nightmare material the way they're cracked opened and emptied out.

"Organ harvests"

The fact that you have participated in this (admirable) act officially marks you as one of the legitimately most badass people in here. I could only imagine.
Suddenly I feel like writing some supernatural shit that has walking corpses.

I have the ability to be very boring. Seriously, I got nothing.

You know, I bet the switch operator for the electric chair thought his life was boring. All about perspective I suppose.

I do pencak silat, still early in learning, though.
Do aikido too, just not what I am studying this moment.

Uh, though are words! And you're learning different languages! I know that much.

Kosdu

Uh, though are words! And you're learning different languages! I know that much.

Pencak Silat is an elusive set of arts, it's hard to find anything going by it's name, much harder to find the actual arts of Indonesia.

I'm very fortunate to have started in this art where I have, as there is a very good teacher of Mande Muda here, and there is no finer or more practical teaching I could find in hundreds to thousands of miles.

I'm mulling through Cimande in my mind, deciding some things.

(Pencak Silat does carry culture with it, but I do not speak Javanese, Bahasia Indonesian, Sumatran.... Or anything related to Indonesia)

Aikido is very good and practical, probably the most efficient art there is, but it takes awhile to learn and I need to broaden my horizons. Easy to find aikido.

Last edited:

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
Does talking to yourself and making jokes and witty and sarcastic statements to yourself when no one else is around count as interesting or just weird?

Hikaru Okami

Radiant Wolf
You know, I bet the switch operator for the electric chair thought his life was boring. All about perspective I suppose.

Hm...yes, quite. I like your answers.

Okay here's some real answers: I've been singing (choir classes, personal instructor, etc.) for 12 years, however I don't like singing in public. : p I'm kind of capable in holding a basic conversation in Enlgish, Spanish and Japanese, and Chinese. Also studying Hmong and Korean. Well actually, my English and Spanish are deteriorating because I'm more focused on Chinese and Japanese. I can speak, but my writing suuuuuuucks. I played trumpet in high school and skipped a semester of intro band class and moved on to orchestra because I was awesome. After high school I had to return the trumpet to the school, so I'm not sure if I'm awesome anymore. How's that?

Last edited:

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
Let's list some things out...

I spent my only all night error watching Naruto for 28 hours strait only stopping to go to the bathroom

I traveled to Peru with people form my school to volunteer and see Machu Pichu

I am an avid photographer and bird watcher

I did gymnastics for 14 years

I am aiming to become a Ecologist/Zoologist

I have trypanophobia and I have developed astraphobia after being scarred shit less by lighting literally right outside my window when I was looking out of it

I do a lot of independent research on human behavior and development in an effort to understand why people are the way they are.

I think that's enough...