• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What is the best story you've ever read/heard/watched?

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Cowboy Bebop changed my life, without hyperbole. It was the right show at the right time that offered me a persective on exactly the questions I tried to figure out at that time, and the trajectory I took after encountering it made me a different person, for all the good reasons. If that's not the power of art, I don't know what is.

Digibro has a good perspective on the thing - as much as I don't like the reviewer in general, I think it's generally a heartfelt and deep description of what makes CB so special. It's not without spoilers though, so watch at your own peril.

Last edited:
C

CrookedCroc

Probably Berserk, some of the themes it touches gave me a lot to think about and it might have affected my outlook in some things.

For example: One should never give up in their dreams.
Giving up on your dreams might be a safe choice with low risks but it won't save you from getting swept away by more ambitious individuals whose dreams won't bring purpose to your life.

Last edited by a moderator:

CommonBard

Zuko's story, from Avatar: the Last Airbender.

The way his character develops through the series, it really resonated with me. That struggle for identity and self worth, and to let go of the person his parents wanted him to be. That was my struggle growing up. To see the way his Uncle Iroh always try to help Zuko down a better path, It made me look for the people who are like that in my life, and just thank them.

It changed the way I look at life, purpose, and the meaning of true forgiveness

Asher Grey

Probably Sleeping
Wolf 359, the only podcast besides Limetown that I've had the patience for. I've listened to it fully 3 times now, and one a couple episodes dozens of times.

It's writing that I can only aspire to match. It has a hugely diverse cast that isn't fanservicey, it doesn't milk the gay character for gay-fetish content, the gals are great, and it touches on topics about mental illnesses and self-image in ways no other media has.

...And still, the show isn't about those things, it doesn't advertise itself as those things, it's just a highly entertaining sci-fi adventure in space with gold comedic value and truly lovable characters. I fucking love w359.

I don't really have a best, but some recent stories I've seen recently that I really liked were:
1) Beyond The Aquila Rift, from Netflix's Love Death Robots. I know some Einsteins will say they saw it coming miles away but its twist made me shit my pants with legit fear, fear of being stranded and [REDACTED]. I can't tell you anymore without getting into spoiler territory. If you got the chance and are into space [REDACTED] I recommend you watch at least this episode. In general this series is one of the few Netflix put out that's actually pretty damn good.
2) Natalia, The Bojar's Daughter by Nikolaj Karamzin. This one I had to read for uni among a slew of other russian books. Except for one, they all had a shitty ending so I was expecting this book to end like crap as well. I was pleased it didn't, especially for the protagonist's father whom the book describes to be just a really loving, good dad.

A

Arvid

For me, the best Story I've ever read is Of Mice and Men. Just something about it made it enjoyable for me. I was quite surprised with what happended to one of the Main Characters at the end. In fact, the Book started getting really dark, the more you read of it.

Alan Moore's The watchmen the best graphic novel I've ever read, and possibly the best "anything I've Ever." Its so deeply layered and complex that after reading it once a year for the past six years I still notice new plot points, character traits, symbolism, etc. I have a hard time finding things to compare it too as it tackles so many aspects so well.

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
The best story I've ever read is ender's game, but I don't like the author cause he's ironically, a racist, homophobic bigot.
I saw the movie and liked the twist.

Best story? There was a story I read once from the 1880s. It was a Japanese folk tale about a fox kit that was captured by kids who were torturing it before they sold its liver as a fever cure. A princess rescued the kit by buying it and releasing it back to its parents. Some time later, the princess comes down with the fever and the only cure is a fox liver. Foxes had disappeared because of this plague and no livers were to be had/found. A reward was posted for a fox liver. Finally, an old woman comes up and gives a fox liver to the physicians to the princess. The princess wants to repay the old woman but she refuses. It turns out that the old woman was the Mother of the fox kit and the fox liver was given by the Dad of the kit fox in payment for the princess having saved the life of his child.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
Witcher books + games.

Dear lord is that perfect for me? The books are written such a chaotic and greedy way that you can not love it <3
World is cruel, dirty and dangerous. Sapkowski really did not hold himself back when he wrote.

Do I have to explain games?

xremeidiot

Friendly Red-Backed Butcher-Birb Boi
I love aesop's fables and they were all I would ever read as a kid.

There's also a short story called I have no mouth and I must scream that really resonated with me
Oh my sweet jeezum yes to both of those things.

Alright, I'll add something of my own. The Mass Effect trilogy. I love being a Paragon, and seeing the choices I make improve people's lives, fictional though they may be, makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Rayd

philosophy & psychology nerd
most of my favorite stories of all-time actually come from professional wrestling, believe it or not. the world of professional wrestling is like a movie that never ends. the storylines that happen throughout decades of televised content is a gift. guys like The Undertaker, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan and Triple H come to mind. they hold a few of the many legendary careers that told a story throughout years and years of character development.

it may sound silly, but it's true. with as many fictions as i've consumed, i can say for certain that very little of them moved me in the same way some of my favorite wrestlers' careers did.

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
There are some exemples of touching narratives I liked across different Media:

-I'm a big fan of HP Lovecrafts writing. Especially his storries: The white ship, The Bell and Through The Gates Of The Silver Key really moved me. They have a romantic touch to them, and feel like a more mature version of Michael Endes never ending storry. Imagening vast sureal realms of elderly horrors and otherworldly beauty to escape the mind numbing superficiality of our mortal existence, makes me feel warm and comfy.

-Another exemple of good narratives was the old mystery series Outer Limmits. The episodes weren't connected a tolch a different storry each. Some of them with a verry deep philosophical touch to it. Some had a hopefull, oder a soul shattering end. They always managed to surprise again, and sometime making one think about the human nature.

-The Man from earth was a Film with a verry awsome storry and may be one of the best films I ever saw in my life. Even it's just a dialogue between some people in a cabine, it really gives much to think about and offers a verry well written and deep end.

-But the best writing I ever found was in the xbox game lost odessy. The plot revolves around an immortal called Kaim who lost his memmory. On his journey to reclaim it he get's a collection of short storries, called: "a thousand years of dreams" discribing flashbacks out of his past. And some of them are just hounting. They let you feel his elusive joys, tragedies and several losses of people he knew and outlived, seemingly making him the most lonely person in existence. This somehow resonated with me on a verry deep level. Here are a few exemples:

Godzilla

Getting thru it all
-I'm a big fan of HP Lovecrafts writing. Especially his storries: The white ship, The Bell and Through The Gates Of The Silver Key really moved me. They have a romantic touch to them, and feel like a more mature version of Michael Endes never ending storry. Imagening vast sureal realms of elderly horrors and otherworldly beauty to escape the mind numbing superficiality of our mortal existence, makes me feel warm and comfy.

I used to be a huge fan of Lovecraft. Until I found out he was a massive racist. He literally named his cat the n word.
Of course you can always pull death of the artist but
Reading about monsters and humans you could see how he integrated his racist views into his writing.
Whyyyyy

riddles

the neverending story was probably one of the most influential books i read as a kid. i was 11-12 at the time and something about the oncoming legacy of adolescence meant it just resonated so strongly. the copy i have is my mother's childhood copy, so it also has a lot of sentimental value to me.

on a similar note, the ocean at the end of the lane by neil gaiman was great. as far as gaiman works go i think it's underrated, because boy did that book make me feel things. i think very few books quite capture children's perspectives as well as it. it's also not lacking in dark overtones, and the nostalgic feel of it works very well.

the last unicorn by peter beagle fucked me up (in a good way) as a child and remains one of my favourite films. something about an immortal being that (temporarily) becomes mortal and must then live forever with the burden of having felt despair and loss, among a species that are otherwise naive about those things, is fucking metal as shit. the book was also great. if i ever have kids, they're getting onto this early, because it's so good. it had some scary scenes as a child, but the true horror was the emotional conflict and existentialism the characters faced, and i can honestly say it's one of the single most influential works of my life. it also bends a fair few conventions for a story from the 80s, like the knight in shining armour not getting the princess. the red bull remains one of my favourite monsters ever just by virtue of how well it was conveyed.

jurassic park was an absolute bop and i love it, film and book.

sharp teeth by toby barlow, while not *the greatest* story, did have a big impact on my perception of stories. it's a novel written in free style prose, it did a lot to shake up my ideas of what books could and should be. also the story was wild fun (werewolf power struggles in modern day las angeles)

Last edited:

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
I used to be a huge fan of Lovecraft. Until I found out he was a massive racist

Lovecraft was xenophobic in his early years, but overcame these tendencies in his later years. I also don't liked his attitude and disapprove the way he tends to describe native cultures in his storries. But I also think that a piece of art should be seen independently from the flaws it's creator. And since I don't know of any other Autor in this genre who managed to write this quality of Cosmic Horror. I still like his storries nevertheless.

I Really enjoyed Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress for its interesting political/sci-fi fusion.

Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis also became one of my personal favorites, although I really didn't enjoy the rest of the Space Trilogy much for various reasons.

There's also a short story called I have no mouth and I must scream that really resonated with me

Have you ever played the DOS game? It's amazing.

Godzilla

Getting thru it all
I Really enjoyed Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress for its interesting political/sci-fi fusion.

Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis also became one of my personal favorites, although I really didn't enjoy the rest of the Space Trilogy much for various reasons.

Have you ever played the DOS game? It's amazing.

Hell yeah
Definitely still holds up even though it’s kind of under the radar

B

blue sky love

1984 is still the best book I’ve ever read. It’s terrifying how much of it is actually coming true before our eyes.

I just replaced my old paperback copy with a hardcover copy off of Amazon. Love that book!