• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What is the definition of "Cool?"

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
Cool is when you troll and rage at some stranger on the internet, belittling them till they rage quit.

T

Tycho

Cool is that feeling you get when you hand in an assignment to the instructor, knowing full well in advance that you aced that fucker.

Atrak

Psychological Egoist.
You should watch 'The Merchants of Cool.' It's a bit outdated, but still applicable.

coward67

The definition of "cool" is someone who has a likeable personality, is kind and loving but not all gooey about it. A cool person is someone who can hold their temper. A cool person is someone whose jokes you always laugh at and someone who is able to bring a good party to an awesome party. That's just my idea (Description of my best friend :D)

Nineteen-TwentySeven

Four Eyes; Zero Soul
In California, you're cool if:
You drive a lifted pickup with gnarly offroad tires but never take it off road.
You drive an SUV but never haul around anything but your sorry ass.
You drive a Prius.
Your entire wardrobe includes articles of clothing from Abercombie and Fitch and Hollister.
You listen to Justin Beiber and/or Taylor Swift.
See also: Tool.

Cool kids play DnD.

Shred Uhh Sore Us

Unbreakable
about 60 degrees

Zaedrin

You forgot "you drive while on your cell-phone, only nudging your steering-wheel from time to time in your Ford Navigator" and "You drive while talking on your cell-phone AND curling your eyelashes."

Those are both things I've actually witnessed in Southern California. As much as I love Orange County, it seems to really have a high Douchebag population.

Rouz

Nothing New Under the Sun

Rouz

Nothing New Under the Sun
Don't do drugs
Stay in School
and you will be cool

All the cool kids at my high did the complete opposite of that. :V

Do as many drugs until you OD
Have 1 kid each school year or impregnate 3 girls.
Never go to school

Kyle Necronomicon

Not a Person
First of all cool kids do play DnD for sure. Also Cool is something you are if you can never lose it. It's something that makes people look up to you. It's something that makes people act like you. It's what makes people who are jelly make fun of you. It's what makes it so people look to you in times of trouble. It's what happens when you show the passion burning in your soul to the world. It's what happens when you feel the pains of others and try to stop that pain. It's what hero's and villains are. It's what everyone can be if they want to, and if you have enough of it people will cry with joy or pain when they see you.

Bambi

Joined 2008 - Returned 2022
After seeing a Demitri Martin episode and chunks of this remarkably depressing film about target marketing called "The Merchants of Cool", it made me wonder...

What exactly is the definition of "cool?"

Since the furry fandom is a very diverse subculture, my hypothesis is that the results are going to be as so.

NOW: Discuss...
I'm going to see this when I get the chance.

This sound's solid:
From the source:

But in doing so, critics ask, is MTV truly reflecting the desires of today's teenagers, or are they stoking a cultural infatuation with music and imagery that glorifies violence and sex as well as antisocial behavior and attitudes?

In today's media-saturated environment, such questions, it seems, are becoming increasingly difficult to answer.
"It's one enclosed feedback loop," Rushkoff says. "Kids' culture and media culture are now one and the same, and it becomes impossible to tell which came first--the anger or the marketing of the anger."

Therein lies the danger of today's teen-driven economy, observers say: As everyone from record promoters to TV executives to movie producers besieges today's teens with pseudo-authentic marketing pitches, teenagers increasingly look to the media to provide them with a ready-made identity predicated on today's version of what's cool. Rather than empowering youngsters, the incessant focus on their wants and desires leaves them adrift in a sea of conflicting marketing messages.

"Kids feel frustrated and lonely today because they are encouraged to feel that way," Miller tells FRONTLINE. "You know, advertising has always sold anxiety and it certainly sells anxiety to the young. It's always telling them that they are not thin enough, they're not pretty enough, they don't have the right friends, or they have no friends...they're losers unless they're cool. But I don't think anybody, deep down, really feels cool enough, ever."

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Cool is a word meaning me :V
But really i think it means someone who is himself in every situation or something that no one can never explain

Folgrimeo

Well, when I saw this thread, it had 69 replies and 666 views. Thought that was kinda cool.

I think cool is just when you're being yourself and it inspires awe in other people, for whatever reason. To remain cool is to anticipate what will continue to inspire awe. It's an art.

Nekomimi

PANTS ON THE GROUND
PANTS ON THE GROUND
LOOKIN' LIKE A FOOL WITH YO' PANTS ON THE GROUND
Ugh.

Definitions of cool on the Web:

neither warm nor very cold; giving relief from heat; "a cool autumn day"; "a cool room"; "cool summer dresses"; "cool drinks"; "a cool breeze"
marked by calm self-control (especially in trying circumstances); unemotional; "play it cool"; "keep cool"; "stayed coolheaded in the crisis"; "the most nerveless winner in the history of the tournament"
(color) inducing the impression of coolness; used especially of greens and blues and violets; "cool greens and blues and violets"
make cool or cooler; "Chill the food"
psychologically cool and unenthusiastic; unfriendly or unresponsive or showing dislike; "relations were cool and polite"; "a cool reception"; "cool to the idea of higher taxes"
loose heat; "The air cooled considerably after the thunderstorm"
the quality of being at a refreshingly low temperature; "the cool of early morning"
(used of a number or sum) without exaggeration or qualification; "a cool million bucks"
lose intensity; "His enthusiasm cooled considerably"
aplomb: great coolness and composure under strain; "keep your cool"
fashionable and attractive at the time; often skilled or socially adept; "he's a cool dude"; "that's cool"; "Mary's dress is really cool"; "it's not cool to arrive at a party too early"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn