• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What is the proper ammount of furryness to display in public?

Zipline

Noodle Fish
Does it suffice to wear just a shirt with an animal on it to show off the fandom or should it be higher up, such as tails or behavior; going all the way to full or partials to get our look out there to make people more aware of us. I have seen full suits and partials at the mall and tails at school. Just curious on how much is socially correct.

homie

the homiest of the homies
Honestly it just depends on how relaxed your community is. Though I personally feel you shouldn't wear anything more than a normal piece of clothing to somewhere where no one is expecting people to wear something like that. Normal clothing is not tails, ears, paws (unless they can easily pass as slippers/house shoes or gloves) or any other fursuit parts. It's not too uncommon for people to have actual phobias of masks, certain animals or costumes and you shouldn't force them to deal with that.

Regardless, I think "getting our look out there" is a poor excuse to wear fursuits and related attire in public. Most people don't care, are already aware of furries or some combination of the two.

There is really no need to spread the fandom to where the fandom is not.

Spatel

I think it should be fully acceptable to wear tails/ears in public. I find it hilarious that furries have so much Stockholm syndrome at this point that they bash other furries who do that just as aggressively as people who actually hate furries, particularly on this site.

Last edited:

Wither

Is honestly confused by life.
None.

Please note that a shirt with a fox on it is not furry apparel. It's a normal shirt.
I think it should be fully acceptable to wear tails/ears in public. I find it hilarious that furries have so much Stockholm syndrome at this point that they bash other furries who do that just as aggressively as people who actually hate furries, particularly on this site (though I think it's well-known among long-timers here that FAF is a bit of a "burned fur" site).
I truly missed these "FaF is so mean" posts. We simply are not that anymore, though, so we don't get them at all nowadays.

Generally speaking, people who wear tails in public are attention seekers. There is absolutely no need for that. It's just plain unnecessary. Keep your shit where it's accepted. Being a furry should not be so important to you that it becomes a part of your public facing appearance. There is a time and a place for furry apparel and fun. School, work, streets, and the grocery are not the place, I can assure you.

Last edited:

Iracuse

While I, personally, don't really care what you wear out in public, I think when you reach the level of wearing tails / ears it's getting a tad excessive. I think just a T-shirt works just fine, or maybe a phone case. No need to be loud and obnoxious at it, common people walking out on the street don't care if you're a furry, they just want to get to work / school / dinner / wherever they're going, they don't have time to look at your choice of fashion.

Terror-Run

None.

That said I don't consider lame animal t-shirts as furry either, I have a really dumb one that says "pug life" with a a pug styled up in typical thug gettup, I wear that to work all the time even. I have a major weakness for animal puns and I'll wear the hell out of those. Tails, collars and those things though - nope, not unless you are at a gathering/convention. (just my personal opinion ofc)

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
I dunno what you guys are talking about, every single day I dress up like a 2 year old fox and act just like one because I clearly like it so much :V

Spatel

Generally speaking, people who wear tails in public are attention seekers. There is absolutely no need for that. It's just plain unnecessary. Keep your shit where it's accepted. Being a furry should not be so important to you that it becomes a part of your public facing appearance. There is a time and a place for furry apparel and fun. School, work, streets, and the grocery are not the place, I can assure you.

The corollary to this is that people who have problems with tails in public are typically high schoolers, in terms of their social temperament. Adults generally have bigger problems to care about. My feeling is that you think it looks good, and it's not disruptive to the setting, why not? It's just another type of fashion. If people didn't stick their necks out from time to time, trying new things, we'd all still be stuck in victorian clothes.

Not that I would necessarily wear my tail/ears everywhere, but I have nothing against people who have the chutzpah to do it.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I'm all for wearing whatever you want, wherever you want.

If it makes you happy, fine. I'd happy if I saw a fursuited fox at a shopping mall (though I tend to avoid malls and suburbia), and would proudly wear a fursuit, skipping down the main street of the city.

As the saying goes, I'm not in this world to live up to other people's expectations, and they're not in it to live up to mine.

And as for furry fashion, tails seem to have become pretty common around here; nobody here seems to even find them shocking. Maybe in a small town?

TJwolf123

~Tricky Candy Pup~
Hmm... One acquaintance at my school wears ears and a wolf tail. I think, unless it's at a con or a meetup, don't wear too much. Just a tail or just ears would seem fine, but going full or partial suit might be too much for other people. You might get called on by cops.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I'd say zero, but I suppose whatever makes you happiest is most acceptable. Just have fun! Although know that if you show any furriness at all it can make people uncomfortable. Even as a furry, seeing people going around my university wearing tails is weird. I have an Animal Crossing shirt that says "Isabelle is mai waifu" on it and I can't even bring myself to wear that.

Storok

670 blp
Lol show waht you want... But remember that you look like an idiot when you do wierd stuff

The only thing i do in public is browsing FurAffinity and off appearence i would not do more then wearing a t-shirt of my sona lol

D

Deleted member 82554

Isn't it fascinating that a person in an animal suit at a sporting event or a fun place like Disneyland is praised but when walking down the street in one is considered cancer.

Funny that.

Storok

670 blp
Isn't it fascinating that a person in an animal suit at a sporting event is praised but when walking down the street in one is considered cancer.

Funny that.
Ehm maybe because the kind of actions they perform... A mascot is also not seen as cool by fanbases of other sports clubs in my mind and if you walk around in a fursuit where i live people might not pick on you they might be more interested in why you wear it... The furry fandom isnt widely known they will think you are just domeone in an animal costume...

Holtzmann

Juular.
Isn't it fascinating that a person in an animal suit at a sporting event or a fun place like Disneyland is praised but when walking down the street in one is considered cancer.

Funny that.
Context is a wonderful thing, isn't it? A person walking around naked at a nudist beach won't get a second glance. A person walking around naked in a busy multinational company's headquarters will get arrested.

Personally, I think the idea of "furry apparel" beyond just shirts, pins with mascots on them, phone cases and small things like that to be silly. Just like "anime apparel" like Naruto headbands or fake katanas. You don't see petrolheads going around wearing racing helmets or (sane) metalheads doing their groceries in full corpsepaint and spikes. Everything has a time and place.

quoting_mungo

I wore a headband with ears on it in a US high school for a little over half a school year (from late November until graduation). They (at least used to) sell freaking kitty ears at Hot Topic. Ears are, far as I'm concerned, perfectly acceptable accessories, especially if they're mounted in a way that make them functional (eg. a headband, hair clips, or other accessory to keep long hair in check). I would totally think something like an animal-themed hoodie with ears on the hood would/should be acceptable, as well.

The only two people who gave me grief about the ears was one girl who already had it in for me for ridiculous unrelated reasons (short story: she was an airheaded bully), and the mother of one friend-of-my-brother's who basically "forbade" me from wearing them in public when out with her son and my brother. I've no clue what her deal was. ;)

I'll also note that for some dumb reason (like, I literally don't know why it turned out that way) I didn't really have any other hair things with me at the time, so when said mother objected I just ended up wearing my headband upside down so the ears were on the back of my neck, under my hair, whenever I knew she might see us.

BUT I'm also very far from the fashion police. I basically think people should have the right to wear whatever they're comfortable in, in public, so long as it's not blatantly offensive/excessively revealing in inappropriate venues.

RinkuTheRuffian

Punished "Venom" Rinku
Mayhem sharktits shirt confirmed
Well, doesn't it just work? If I saw someone with a Lapfox shirt or sweater, this shows that you're a furry or you got good taste in electronic music; either way, I'd probably comment positively to start off a conversation. But the best part is that you don't look like an asshole doing it.