• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What is the proper ammount of furryness to display in public?

Storok

670 blp
The only two people who gave me grief about the ears was one girl who already had it in for me for ridiculous unrelated reasons (short story: she was an airheaded bully), and the mother of one friend-of-my-brother's who basically "forbade" me from wearing them in public when out with her son and my brother. I've no clue what her deal was.
Maybe a strict "only scalies" household where they were against furry stuff...

Spatel

Context is a wonderful thing, isn't it? A person walking around naked at a nudist beach won't get a second glance. A person walking around naked in a busy multinational company's headquarters will get arrested.

Context is also important for analogies. Walking around nude or in bondage gear carries actively sexual connotations. It's clearly very different from wearing a tail.

Personally, I think the idea of "furry apparel" beyond just shirts, pins with mascots on them, phone cases and small things like that to be silly. Just like "anime apparel" like Naruto headbands or fake katanas. You don't see petrolheads going around wearing racing helmets or (sane) metalheads doing their groceries in full corpsepaint and spikes. Everything has a time and place.

I disagree. There are numerous alternative lifestyle fashions you see in public all the time. Goths, punks, religious sects, and I don't know what country you live in but bikers go all out with the spikes/leather suits/helmets here.

Ears and tails fit in more with those, I believe. It's not a statement of fandom toward a specific franchise like wearing narotu headbands or star trek uniforms or doctor who's sonic screwdriver (though I think those things should also be fine). It's an alternative fashion statement like goths or hipsters.

I think ears/tails are "light furry" and fairly unobtrusive, compared to full fursuits which are more appropriate for furry-themed venues.

Holtzmann

Juular.
I disagree. There are numerous alternative lifestyle fashions you see in public all the time. Goths, punks, religious sects, and I don't know what country you live in but bikers go all out with the spikes/leather suits/helmets here.
Congratulations, I think they're silly as well. :p

And that's coming from a guy who was a hardcore metalhead for years. I'm not judging whether it's appropriate or not, I'm saying that I think all that stuff is silly. It looks silly, it usually has no function (biker helmets notwithstanding), and half the time it's just plain uncomfortable. Just look at goths sweltering in the midday sun. I'm way past caring for people displaying their preferences through fashion statements like that. I'm much more inclined to respect people with practical fashion choices instead.

Spatel

Congratulations, I think they're silly as well. :p

And that's coming from a guy who was a hardcore metalhead for years. I'm not judging whether it's appropriate or not, I'm saying that I think all that stuff is silly. It looks silly, it usually has no function (biker helmets notwithstanding), and half the time it's just plain uncomfortable. Just look at goths sweltering in the midday sun. I'm way past caring for people displaying their preferences through fashion statements like that. I'm much more inclined to respect people with practical fashion choices instead.

Counterpoint:

1lkydZG.jpg

This is what 'dressing normal' looks like. If there's one way to look less attractive and more punchable than any punk or furry, it's this vanilla bullshit. When I gaze out at a sea of people looking like some variation of this, I wonder if they realize how ridiculous they look.

Holtzmann

Juular.
Counterpoint:

1lkydZG.jpg

This is what 'dressing normal' looks like. If there's one way to look less attractive and more punchable than any punk or furry, it's this vanilla bullshit. When I gaze out at a sea of people looking like some variation of this, I wonder if they realize how ridiculous they look.
Counterpoint accepted. Those guys look lame. White/light shorts and polo shirts? They look like a bunch of overgrown 10 year olds.

Still, that's not my point. Gimme comfortable jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers or boots any day of the week. Personally, I like functionality. I think this is also why I'm not into piercings (despite the fact my wife has a couple of them on her ears). To me, they always seemed like inviting some laceration if they got caught on anything. Whenever I see someone out there with five or six different functionally useless accessories making them look like a cosplayer who lost their way to the local anime convention, I also think it's daft.

But if they can make it work without it just being additional decoration for the sake of "being furry", more power to them. I used to know a guy who had a baseball hat with cat ears on it. No idea how he got it, maybe he made it. But it worked: it was a perfectly serviceable hat that had an interesting element to it.

quoting_mungo

But if they can make it work without it just being additional decoration for the sake of "being furry", more power to them. I used to know a guy who had a baseball hat with cat ears on it. No idea how he got it, maybe he made it. But it worked: it was a perfectly serviceable hat that had an interesting element to it.
I've never really seen wearable costume ears that couldn't conceivably also serve a practical purpose. I mean, I can't recall a time I didn't have at least chin-length hair, so a headband or diadem, which are the most common way of mounting costume ears, is something I might wear anyway, especially during the points in my life when my hair wasn't quite long enough to reliably stay in a ponytail.

But honestly, small things to express our individuality, like accessories, shouldn't be a source of stigma. Sometimes, those things are every bit as much a part of "dressing comfortably" as having clothes that allow a full range of movement or underwear that doesn't pinch your junk.

LabyrinthMaster

Maze Designer // DDR-ITG Player
I'm not the kind of person that likes to push his interests in other people's faces. When it comes to fandoms, I like to let people guess. I don't want to have to explain to people what is furry, especially in France.

Caraid

Classy cat
I've never understood the idea that one's outside should reflect their interests, because my interests don't define me. As such I look nothing like a furry, gamer, or artist. I aim to look attractive, at least by my own standards. Worked out pretty well for me so far.

Holtzmann

Juular.
But honestly, small things to express our individuality, like accessories, shouldn't be a source of stigma. Sometimes, those things are every bit as much a part of "dressing comfortably" as having clothes that allow a full range of movement or underwear that doesn't pinch your junk.
Don't get me wrong, I don't stigmatize against people who wear nonfunctional accessories. I just think it's unnecessary and, depending on the case, rather silly. A few of these fellows strike me as trying waaay too hard.

Maybe I just met enough people (tempted to call them "idiots") who alongside drawing massive amounts of attention with how crazily out of place they looked (I'm talking about hairbands with ears, rainbow hair, long tails that got in the way, huge teddy bear backpacks, fluffy paw gloves and about fifteen kilograms of things that went "clink!" whenever they moved hanging off them and their backpacks) also made it sure to let everybody within a three hundred yard radius of them know precisely what their tastes are, whether they wanted to know it or not; to color my perceptions. It's unfair to judge a book by its cover, but after being annoyed enough by a crowd with a very specific look, it's hard to avoid a slight cooling of your opinions towards said look and/or attitude.

Elohiim_Koshiiri

Terradorable
In my opinion?

You can display juuuust enough furriness.......that doesn't make you look like a complete retard.

I like cats, I see a kitty I pettings the kitty. I see furry animals or furry things, I likes thems. I don't try to makeout with a kitty, I don't say outloud "oh man that animal is hot", I don't wear furry costumes in public cuz that's just awkward and you make yourself in my opinion look like someone who is embarassing to be around. *shrug*

Traven V

Luna-tic.
I guess it would depend on where you are, where I live someone could get away with it easy, I live in an Art type city so people don't really trip much.

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
Absolutely nothing in general public. There's 0 reason to broadcast you're a furry because of both the negative connotations it brings and the fact that you don't need to tell people you like furries.

Now if it's like a meet up or something in a public place then the same rule applies.

Closed off section with other furries? Go wild mate.

Dearg

The often grumpy but friendly fox
I wear a dog bandana around my neck and that's it, I used to wear a hat with ears in the winter time, then it kind of weirded some people out. So I thought the bandana would be more suitable and less conspicuous. Then again I live in Portland, so I could probably get away with wearing a tail. Or a full suit for a day.

Last edited:

some_random_wusky

The Dankest Meme
i say fuck it and display as much furryness as you see fit.

if some random asshole doesnt like it, he can curl up into a ball and cry himself to sleep in the corner covered in his own shit.

H

Helios276

I personally think wearing furry apparel out in the public is not the best idea, you end up drawing negative attention to yourself.

FoxInTheCloset

The Over Caffeinated Vulpine
Who cares. Wear as much as you like, some judgmental A hole will just have to cry about it. It is completely harmless to wear.

Maybe just don't wear such apparel in a professional environment though.

H

Helios276

Can I maybe wear a partial at school on Halloween or is that not a good idea?

StrangerCoug

Stranger Than You!
I keep it very subtle; often the tote bag I carry to school and some of the shirts I wear are your biggest hints. I believe it to be inappropriate to rub the fact that you're a furry in everyone else's face; a combination of that and my being shy and feeling uncomfortable dealing with strangers—despite how my fursona's name originally came to exist—is why I do not own a fursuit. (To answer Helios276's question, I wouldn't object to a fursuit/partial being used as a Halloween costume, though.) There are some people at school I've told outright that I was a furry, though, and no one has had an issue with it.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
The amount that doesn't make you cringe.