• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What is with all of this "My little pony" stuff? (The unofficial official MLP Thread)

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
Re: What is with all of this "My little pony" stuff? (The unofficial official MLP Thr

I noticed some MLP stuff at Target the last time we walked past the toys section there. Must be a selective thing.

Must be. :/ the one time I wanna find MLP stuff there's nothing.

8-bit

Re: What is with all of this "My little pony" stuff? (The unofficial official MLP Thr

We may have also found out why celestia didn't help with discord and that, if the unicorns can raise the sun and moon themselves maybe she's not as powerful as we believe.

Discord's magic is chaotic magic; it negates all other magic except for the Elements of Harmony. I suspect that's why she didn't do anything. Or fighting him would've cost hundreds of thousand of bystanders lives, something Celestia and Luna were not prepared to sacrifice.

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm

Discord's magic is chaotic magic; it negates all other magic except for the Elements of Harmony. I suspect that's why she didn't do anything. Or fighting him would've cost hundreds of thousand of bystanders lives, something Celestia and Luna were not prepared to sacrifice.
Celestia and luna would have had to use brute force and that would have probably destroyed the world.

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned

Well the episode finally answered what the earth ponies have going for themselves, growing food; although I'm not sure why the other two can't though"

You ever tried growing carrots or cabbage in the clouds? It's... difficult. As for the unicorns? Probably because they live in the mountains, and stone is also difficult to farm. At least, looking at the lands each "tribe" chose as their home. Only the earth ponies chose fertile ground.

FlynnCoyote

Takin it slow.

This episode made reference to history, and said that the unicorns had the power to raise the sun and moon.

Yet in Boast Busters we are told that most unicorns only had a small amount of magic in relation to their cutie mark. So...

Presumably when Celestia and Luna banished Discord and took over Equestria, they must have had some phenomenal power to do so. From this I have come up with two theories:

1: The princesses were spirits of some other realm who took pity on the ponies and saved them from Discord. Afterward, they stayed behind to keep peace knowing that Discord could return.

2: The princesses were once normal unicorns (or either of the others) who through some spell managed to gain enough power to fight Discord by draining magical energy from the rest of unicorn kind. This both elevated the two of them to something entirely different while simultaneously permanently weakening the remainder of unicorn kind. And so they each took the mantle of sun and moon for themselves as some form of personal duty because of this.

Whatever happened, I am assuming that the instigation of the cutie mark system was the doing of the princesses afterward and not something that just naturally occurs as that issue was not covered in this ep.

Last edited:

CannonFodder

*edit*
I just found out there's not going to be a new episode for another 19 days... fuck.
This episode made reference to history, and said that the unicorns had the power to raise the sun and moon.

Yet in Boast Busters we are told that most unicorns only had a small amount of magic in relation to their cutie mark. So...

Presumably when Celestia and Luna banished Discord and took over Equestria, they must have had some phenomenal power to do so. From this I have come up with two theories:

1: The princesses were spirits of some other realm who took pity on the ponies and saved them from Discord. Afterward, they stayed behind to keep peace knowing that Discord could return.

2: The princesses were once normal unicorns (or either of the others) who through some spell managed to gain enough power to fight Discord by draining magical energy from the rest of unicorn kind. This both elevated the two of them to something entirely different while simultaneously permanently weakening the remainder of unicorn kind. And so they each took the mantle of sun and moon for themselves as some form of personal duty because of this.

Whatever happened, I am assuming that the instigation of the cutie mark system was the doing of the princesses afterward and not something that just naturally occurs as that issue was not covered in this ep.
I'm guessing it's somewhere along the later since there's one other princess we know of, maybe becoming a alicorn is possible, but it's extremely rare and only a handful are able to.

Last edited:

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears

My guess is that it took the entire group of unicorns to raise the sun/moon while it only takes Cellestia...just herself. My real problem is why this planet doesn't rotate around the sun at all :\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDMGv3hNMes&feature=related

Another sweet song I found. Probably linked prior, but I'm actually going through some now and enjoying myself.

Commiecomrade

Maximum Awesome.

*edit*
I just found out there's not going to be a new episode for another 19 days... fuck.

At least the most recent one was very good. I loved when Pinkie suddenly backed right the fuck up.

And about the history: maybe the unicorns lost their power over time and allowed the two alicorn sisters to do the job for them.

Furries

I know it's weird.
I see random people who are normal watch it and become a freak about it...?

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR

I know it's weird.
I see random people who are normal watch it and become a freak about it...?

I love it when furries say this.

Heimdal

has a sexy learning disability

My guess is that it took the entire group of unicorns to raise the sun/moon while it only takes Cellestia...just herself. My real problem is why this planet doesn't rotate around the sun at all :\

I immediately saw inconsistencies after I was done the episode. Mainly, where were Celestia and Luna? I think Spike mentioned that it was before their time, at the beginning of the play (don't recall exactly), but I dunno about that for several reasons:
1. The flag the united ponies stuck in the ground at the end of the play was the Celestia/Luna night/day cycle image that has been used in prior episodes regarding the history of the two sisters. Why was this their flag?
2. Starswirl the Bearded was mentioned as Twilight's character's mentor, and Luna had mentioned knowing Starswirl in the Halloween episode. Luna would have been alive the time the story happened.

I have an answer, however. The flag was just the prop that looked best rather than being historically accurate, and Starswirl the Bearded was a Time Lord pony.

It was a good episode. I love how they handle Pinkie Pie... she tends to be random and think outside the box, but unlike a lot of shitty characters who fit that archetype, she is not always right. It makes her truly unpredictable, and her ideas so amusingly dubious that you can understand why the others don't just do what she says.

FlynnCoyote

Takin it slow.

I immediately saw inconsistencies after I was done the episode. Mainly, where were Celestia and Luna? I think Spike mentioned that it was before their time, at the beginning of the play (don't recall exactly), but I dunno about that for several reasons:
1. The flag the united ponies stuck in the ground at the end of the play was the Celestia/Luna night/day cycle image that has been used in prior episodes regarding the history of the two sisters. Why was this their flag?
2. Starswirl the Bearded was mentioned as Twilight's character's mentor, and Luna had mentioned knowing Starswirl in the Halloween episode. Luna would have been alive the time the story happened.

I have an answer, however. The flag was just the prop that looked best rather than being historically accurate, and Starswirl the Bearded was a Time Lord pony.

It was a good episode. I love how they handle Pinkie Pie... she tends to be random and think outside the box, but unlike a lot of shitty characters who fit that archetype, she is not always right. It makes her truly unpredictable, and her ideas so amusingly dubious that you can understand why the others don't just do what she says.

Not necessarily. It is possible that Luna and Celestia chose their forms to match the symbolism of the newly founded Equestria.

And Luna need not have known Starswirl personally. I`m sure she is just as capable of studying history as Twilight is.

Heimdal

Not necessarily. It is possible that Luna and Celestia chose their forms to match the symbolism of the newly founded Equestria.

And Luna need not have known Starswirl personally. I`m sure she is just as capable of studying history as Twilight is.

It's more likely an over-sight than a pointlessly convoluted mythology, so I'm just taking it all at face value. Luna probably did mean she knew the guy, though I sorta forget the exact quote, but whatever, and the flag was based on the two alicorn characters rather than the other way around. However, I want to stick with the Time Pony theory still, because it's awesome.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears

I like your answers.

When I saw the flag, I immediately thought, "well, Cellestia/Luna ARE monarchs and would want the play to display their chosen flag, despite it not being historically accurate" A monarch isn't going to wave around another ruler's flag, be it a historical play or not.

Never picked up on the other inconsistency.

CannonFodder

I like your answers.

When I saw the flag, I immediately thought, "well, Cellestia/Luna ARE monarchs and would want the play to display their chosen flag, despite it not being historically accurate" A monarch isn't going to wave around another ruler's flag, be it a historical play or not.

Never picked up on the other inconsistency.
You know what I noticed, they mentioned a unicorn king in the episode.

Krystal Harmonia

RAIN BO DAH!

What? I didnn't - HOLY SHIT THEY DID.

Cyril

Post-rock Crusader

I just realized I haven't watched the most recent episode yet.
I think I should get around to fixing that ASAP.

King-Gigabyte

Yo quero taco bell

I must have completely missed that part in the episode. I had no idea about a unicorn king.

Heimdal

Wasn't Rarity the unicorn king? I mean, I'm pretty sure Rainbow Dash was playing a male character ("sir"). I figured they were all just playing as potentially male characters.

Last edited:

Inciatus

In the land of bipolar weather

Though sir may not always refer to a male. In Charlie Brown and Star Trek, sir was used on females.

Commiecomrade

Maximum Awesome.

Though sir may not always refer to a male. In Charlie Brown and Star Trek, sir was used on females.

I still think the fact that they just used female actors for male roles is more plausible.

Inciatus

In the land of bipolar weather

Their society seems to be matriarchal so they could have been female, though you are more likely correct.

Jon1128

You Will Obey

'So each tribe sent their leader. Daughter of The Unicorn King, Princess Platinum'

http://youtu.be/MpjhiVtECuU 5:44

Seriously did noone pay attention? :confused:

Last edited:

That's the one all right.

Hey, have you see all the fan art for that sort of thing?
Here's Trotsworth

Fanart of Cross and Arrow exists?

My god. WHERE HAVE I BEEN ALL THIS TIME?