• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What is with all of this "My little pony" stuff? (The unofficial official MLP Thread)

Kellie Gator

Moral Minority
Re: What is with all of this "My little pony" stuff? (The unofficial official MLP Thr

I don't watch this show but I'm happy for it's success, it means that it's a little more socially acceptable for adults to watch cartoons nowadays.

And then there's the people who always make the argument "it's a show for little girls, therefore it's bad to like it" which if you ask me is pretty fucking sexist because you know they wouldn't have a problem with the people who still collect Transformers toys.

FlynnCoyote

Takin it slow.
Re: What is with all of this "My little pony" stuff? (The unofficial official MLP Thr

yay!

GingerM

Appaloosa Horsegirl

I don't watch this show but I'm happy for it's success, it means that it's a little more socially acceptable for adults to watch cartoons nowadays.

And then there's the people who always make the argument "it's a show for little girls, therefore it's bad to like it" which if you ask me is pretty fucking sexist because you know they wouldn't have a problem with the people who still collect Transformers toys.

Exactly so! But that's because Transformers was for little boys, so it's perfectly cool for adults to watch that. Because it's so adult to want to watch stuff being blown up. (I like Transformers, but honestly - there are a lot of adults who believe any kids' show that promotes peace, love, understanding, compassion, etc. must be too icky for manly he-men types adults to be caught watching...)

Unsilenced

Mentlegen

You ever tried growing carrots or cabbage in the clouds? It's... difficult. As for the unicorns? Probably because they live in the mountains, and stone is also difficult to farm. At least, looking at the lands each "tribe" chose as their home. Only the earth ponies chose fertile ground.

So the other two's problem basically consists of them being idiots who chose poor places to live, not a physical inability of any kind.

Obviously an invasion is in order.

FlynnCoyote

Takin it slow.

So the other two's problem basically consists of them being idiots who chose poor places to live, not a physical inability of any kind.

With our magic, and our presumably sharp wings, the alliance can make short work of those foals... :v

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm

If you ask me people's views on society lag atleast ten years behind how society actually is.

It looks like the earth ponies do have something going for them, intelligence.
'So each tribe sent their leader. Daughter of The Unicorn King, Princess Platinum'

http://youtu.be/MpjhiVtECuU 5:44

Seriously did noone pay attention? :confused:
In all possibility he is of no relation to celestia or luna cause if they were then princess platinum would be a alicorn and still alive.
However that does raise the point that if the unicorns had a king equestria may have a king; however it's also possible that after the unification of the three tribes the unicorn king took a pegasus wife and fathered celestia and luna and the cadence.
My best guess is that for a pony to be a alicorn they have to be royalty and a child of a unicorn and pegasus.

The king probably wasn't a alicorn and fathered celestia, luna and cadence. He probably had blueblood with another unicorn and negated any alicorn abilities and only gave birth to a unicorn.
However that does raise the question of how long each tribe lives, it's possible that the unicorns live much longer and that blueblood was born towards the end of the king's lifespan or that the king is still alive.

However it's also possible that with the alicorns the king's governmental abilities are limited because of how much more powerful a alicorn is, and that the king is more of a figurehead or that it's a maternal society and he never had any power to begin with.
If the society is maternal society then without a doubt the queen is no longer alive because then the queen would be in charge instead of the princess.

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR

It looks like the earth ponies do have something going for them, intelligence.

Chancellor Puddinghead agrees.

CannonFodder

I'm trying to figure out how to explain prince blueblood...
Maybe the unicorn king remarried to a pegasus, he died, then his wife remarried much later on?
The only explanation is that the royalty regardless of being alicorns or not live much longer than your average pony.
We know that celestia and luna are atleast over a thousand years old, we don't know how long non-alicorn royalty lives though.

Inciatus

In the land of bipolar weather

Blueblood could be related without having to have a very long life span. Princess Platinum is the king's daughter so she could have married a pegasus and had two alicorns. It is also likely that her father had multiple kids and the first one inherits the throne so the second would still be considered royal bloodline and would be passed down through the many generations and I suppose he could still be called a prince instead of a duke.

CannonFodder

Blueblood could be related without having to have a very long life span. Princess Platinum is the king's daughter so she could have married a pegasus and had two alicorns. It is also likely that her father had multiple kids and the first one inherits the throne so the second would still be considered royal bloodline and would be passed down through the many generations and I suppose he could still be called a prince instead of a duke.
Well that would explain it, since as far as we know celestia and luna are the only siblings we know of. It would also explain cadence, they don't necessarily have to be children of the king to be princess. So long as celestia and luna are alive the other royalty won't be rulers and since we know they are atleast a thousand years old we know the other royalty won't ever become the ruler.
Cadence isn't the ruler because she's probably much further down on the bloodline.

Heimdal

has a sexy learning disability

Celestia wrote the Hearth-warming story herself at some point, in order to make the 3 lesser races feel incompetent without an alicorn leader. Celestia was always in charge, and she kept it that way with made up propaganda stories and threat of her "evil" sister Luna.

Probably not, but Trollestia is amusing idea.

8-bit

Celestia wrote the Hearth-warming story herself at some point, in order to make the 3 lesser races feel incompetent without an alicorn leader. Celestia was always in charge, and she kept it that way with made up propaganda stories and threat of her "evil" sister Luna.

Probably not, but Trollestia is amusing idea.

That isn't trollestia, that's Tyrant Celestia. Trollestia plays jokes on her subject to get them to loosen up and have a good time, and because it's harmless fun.

Inciatus

CannonFodder

*sigh* you guys are puddingheads. Alicorns cannot be birthed by a pegasus and unicorn like that.

Here is a link to a thread that explain Pony genetics

http://broni.es/thread-4258.html?highlight=Pony+genetics
How do you explain how both celestia and luna are alicorns? The chances of two siblings expressing a mutation are slim, their parents would have had a crapton of children for two of them to have it. Cause if it's a dominate gene there'd be a crapton of them.

Heimdal

Trollestia burns houses and sends the occupant to the moon if it amuses her. Trollestia is Tyrant Celestia, she just has a good laugh the whole time.

Alicorns are magical and mysterious. Where they come from is probably intended to be unknowable. Also, elements of destiny are more likely in this world than genetics.

Inciatus

Perhaps they have an extra chomosome (and for some reason are not screwed up) so that the on Xp and the two Xu would both appear.

8-bit

How do you explain how both celestia and luna are alicorns? The chances of two siblings expressing a mutation are slim, their parents would have had a crapton of children for two of them to have it. Cause if it's a dominate gene there'd be a crapton of them.

IDK, I just showed that U+P =/= alicorn.

Trollestia burns houses and sends the occupant to the moon if it amuses her. Trollestia is Tyrant Celestia, she just has a good laugh the whole time.

I disagree.

Also, elements of destiny are more likely in this world than genetics.

Huh?

Perhaps they have an extra chomosome (and for some reason are not screwed up) so that the on Xp and the two Xu would both appear.

I'm not sure how.

Heimdal

Discord can snap his fingers and turn unicorns and pegasuseseses into earth ponies. Your genetics are invalid.

Witchcraft and destiny are invalid unless they exist, and in this pony world they absolutely do.

8-bit

Discord can snap his fingers and turn unicorns and pegasuseseses into earth ponies. Your genetics are invalid.

Witchcraft and destiny are invalid unless they exist, and in this pony world they absolutely do.

So? Discord is the same as Q, but Q isn't magic. (and he just magic'd their wings and horns away, so they could still pass on the U and P gene. ) Alchemy seems like magic in FMA, but it can be explained by science. I'm not saying magic can't do anything involving genetic manipulation, but... y'know. It's really hard to come up with explanations for talking ponies and shit. Hard, but fun.

Last edited:

Heimdal

So? Discord is the same as Q, but Q isn't magic. (and he just magic'd their wings and horns away, so they could still pass on the U and P gene. ) Alchemy seems like magic in FMA, but it can be explained by science. I'm not saying magic can't do anything involving genetic manipulation, but... y'know. It's really hard to come up with explanations for talking ponies and shit. Hard, but fun.

This is almost sorta what I'm saying. Twilight has essentially described magic as a technology in Pinkie Keen. Destiny is pretty much a valid field of study as well, in Equestria. Science is built up upon theories that we are just not able to disprove. In a world full of very provable spirits, magic, and destiny, their scientific theories are going to be very different. Applying our own scientific theories to their world is actually unscientific. We lack appropriate insight in their world, I think.

I dunno. Here's a dumb metaphor for what I'm saying: you can apply scientific thought to a poker game, and you can apply scientific thought to jenga, but applying jenga science to a game of poker is a fool's errand.

Also, yay ponies.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears

That isn't trollestia, that's Tyrant Celestia. Trollestia plays jokes on her subject to get them to loosen up and have a good time, and because it's harmless fun.
>Give Twilight a dragon
>Don't tell anyone how dragons work
>Watch Spike destroy Ponyville
>trollface.jpg

Tyrant Cellestia and Trollestria are one and the same, or rather, Cellestia herself is a sociopath and a sadist.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears

I'm making me an MLP CD, consisting of mostly fan made music, but I'd like some of the canonical songs on the album to. You guys know where I can download them? Probably only need Giggle at the Ghosties, Art of the Dress, Winter Wrap Up, and Equestria Girls (maybe not the last one :V)

~secret~

Banned
Banned

God dammit I've been avoiding this show for ages now, thinking it'll be a pile of girly crap. But no, I watch one episode and it's amazing. I fucking love this show. I find myself giving a damn about the characters, and the humour is just fantastic. I'm not going to sleep tonight because I'll be watching every episode I can find online.