• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What is with all of this "My little pony" stuff? (The unofficial official MLP Thread)

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
Re: What is with all of this "My little pony" stuff? (The unofficial official MLP Thr

I just realized something . . with how people don't want to make fan games anymore cause of worrying about trademark infringement I remembered that Hasbro no longer owns the rights to Firefly, Suprise, or gen 1, or ever owned Fausticorn or such.

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
Re: What is with all of this "My little pony" stuff? (The unofficial official MLP Thr

Hey, maybe he'll actually be one of the more interesting characters. Like that janitor from scrubs.

PastryOfApathy

I just realized something . . with how people don't want to make fan games anymore cause of worrying about trademark infringement I remembered that Hasbro no longer owns the rights to Firefly, Suprise, or gen 1, or ever owned Fausticorn or such.

They still own the rights to the "My Little Pony" and I doubt a technicality like that would stop them from issuing a cease and desist since it's not like they'll fight it. Also Fausticorn is irritating.

CannonFodder

They still own the rights to the "My Little Pony" and I doubt a technicality like that would stop them from issuing a cease and desist since it's not like they'll fight it. Also Fausticorn is irritating.
And the creators of the fan game could just give them the bird. You can't lay claim to something you don't own the rights too. I could swear up and down saying that I own the rights to Mickey Mouse, but that doesn't make it true.

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR

"Have you guys heard of this show called My Little Pony: Friendship is MAgic????!?!?!?!??!??!? It's really fun and happy. Perfect for furries!!"

"I think bronies are annoying because they keep talking about MLP. Here's yet another thread I started to tell you this."

PastryOfApathy

And the creators of the fan game could just give them the bird. You can't lay claim to something you don't own the rights too. I could swear up and down saying that I own the rights to Mickey Mouse, but that doesn't make it true.

Legal costs are veeeerrryyyy expensive and corporations like Hasbro tend to have some top-notch legal teams for this express purpose. Despite how right they may be, Hasbro would still probably win in one way or the other.

CannonFodder

Legal costs are veeeerrryyyy expensive and corporations like Hasbro tend to have some top-notch legal teams for this express purpose. Despite how right they may be, Hasbro would still probably win in one way or the other.
Okay hold on a bit. Having money doesn't automatically mean you can screw the rules no matter what and lay claim to things you don't have trademarks for. Hasbro isn't stupid either. They know they only have trademark for characters they have applied for trademarks for. Hasbro knows full well trademark laws and such. For example that's why they had to trademark "Doctor Whooves" as "Doctor Hooves" instead and why fan names for ponies is a iffy area. Derpy's name is still a iffy area in trademark cause the trademarked name "Derpy" already exists. It's not cause they give a shit what people who find her offensive think, rather they were more worried about legal claims to a already trademark name. It's like if you named a character in a tv show, "nike" there is going to be some serious shit going down. If a company lays claims to something they did not create or did not trademark there is going to be some serious shit coming their way legally. Since they no longer own the rights to Firefly, Suprise and don't own the rights to fausticorn or such they would have to tread lightly or have have the possibility of it backfiring REALLY REALLY REALLY badly.

Basically what I mean is yes they could hire expensive lawyers and try and intimidate fan creators, BUT any lawyer worth their salt would go "Fold, fold like a mother fucker" cause imagine it as a game of poker trying to intimidate someone when you don't own the legal rights to what you are laying claim that you own is like playing poker and having shit all and your opponent is grinning madly. Sure you could bluff him, but if that doesn't work you're screwed.

Tl:dr; they would have to rely on intimidating the person and if they don't back down then well you fucked yourself hard.

Last edited:

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears

Okay hold on a bit. Having money doesn't automatically mean you can screw the rules no matter what and lay claim to things you don't have
And in an ideal world, that would be true!

CannonFodder

And in an ideal world, that would be true!
I meant in a trademark sense, not in a political or war sense.

CrazyLee

Biggest buttplug ever

Also, I wonder what kind of body dysphoria Twilight will have. I'm sure it'll be played off for laughs, but morphing into a thing that is very much not you would be pretty fucking horrifying.

I have airbags!!!

Also, I have seen my first EQG rule 34. It's a pinup of the yellow/red haired villain. It begins.
Meeting adjourned.

PastryOfApathy

Okay hold on a bit. Having money doesn't automatically mean you can screw the rules no matter what and lay claim to things you don't have trademarks for. Hasbro isn't stupid either. They know they only have trademark for characters they have applied for trademarks for. Hasbro knows full well trademark laws and such. For example that's why they had to trademark "Doctor Whooves" as "Doctor Hooves" instead and why fan names for ponies is a iffy area. Derpy's name is still a iffy area in trademark cause the trademarked name "Derpy" already exists. It's not cause they give a shit what people who find her offensive think, rather they were more worried about legal claims to a already trademark name. It's like if you named a character in a tv show, "nike" there is going to be some serious shit going down. If a company lays claims to something they did not create or did not trademark there is going to be some serious shit coming their way legally. Since they no longer own the rights to Firefly, Suprise and don't own the rights to fausticorn or such they would have to tread lightly or have have the possibility of it backfiring REALLY REALLY REALLY badly.

Basically what I mean is yes they could hire expensive lawyers and try and intimidate fan creators, BUT any lawyer worth their salt would go "Fold, fold like a mother fucker" cause imagine it as a game of poker trying to intimidate someone when you don't own the legal rights to what you are laying claim that you own is like playing poker and having shit all and your opponent is grinning madly. Sure you could bluff him, but if that doesn't work you're screwed.

Tl:dr; they would have to rely on intimidating the person and if they don't back down then well you fucked yourself hard.

You see you're failing to understand a couple things about corporations and copyright, if they don't want some fan-thing to exist they'll get it taken down one way or the other, regardless of the legitimacy of it. If in the unlikely case that someone actually fights back and has the money to do so, they have to contend with some top-shelf, incredibly convincing lawyers who despite what you may think can easily make it seem as though they are in the right. Even if they do lose, it's not that big of a deal for them since they're still rich as hell, unlike the fan creator who now has to contend with crippling legal bills and will in all likelihood cancel whatever they were fighting for because they literally can't continue it.

More realistically however they'll just settle out of court (more or less bribe) and get what they want through the power of money. One way or the other they will get what they want.

CannonFodder

You see you're failing to understand a couple things about corporations and copyright, if they don't want some fan-thing to exist they'll get it taken down one way or the other, regardless of the legitimacy of it. If in the unlikely case that someone actually fights back and has the money to do so, they have to contend with some top-shelf, incredibly convincing lawyers who despite what you may think can easily make it seem as though they are in the right. Even if they do lose, it's not that big of a deal for them since they're still rich as hell, unlike the fan creator who now has to contend with crippling legal bills and will in all likelihood cancel whatever they were fighting for because they literally can't continue it.

More realistically however they'll just settle out of court (more or less bribe) and get what they want through the power of money. One way or the other they will get what they want.
I was going to type out a long explanation, but here's a link instead-
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=appealing+a+cease+and+desist+order

Last edited:

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR

Some rumours I picked up about the movie:

-The Movie Takes place before the coronation.
-The series is planned to be a magical girl series where Twilight travels to the human world to go to school to teach proper magic use as well as protect the school and town from students that have gained magic and also animals that have been transformed.

-Twilight then leaves back to the Pony world for her Coronation that you see at the end of season 3. Twilight is considered the second Crystal Princess, which is why the next toyline is called Crystal Princess Celebration.

-In season 4, she still lives in the Library. But in EqG she travels from her room in the Crystal Palace to the Human world.

-Season 4 doesn’t acknowledge EqG, but EqG talks about things that happen in season 4

-There won’t be magic for the first part of the film. After Shimmer gets the crown though, she causes magic to get unleashed into the world. It awakens naturally for some, for others it gets forced out and they can’t control it and kind of go on a rampage.

-Twilight and the others help these humans by defeating and purifying them.

-Twilight will teach in the school and this whole thing was part of Celestia’s plan. It’s why she told Twilight that everyone would be her students in MMC.

More can be seen here
http://archive.heinessen.com/mlp/thread/S10690952#p10693927

CannonFodder

Some rumours I picked up about the movie:

-The Movie Takes place before the coronation.
-The series is planned to be a magical girl series where Twilight travels to the human world to go to school to teach proper magic use as well as protect the school and town from students that have gained magic and also animals that have been transformed.

-Twilight then leaves back to the Pony world for her Coronation that you see at the end of season 3. Twilight is considered the second Crystal Princess, which is why the next toyline is called Crystal Princess Celebration.

-In season 4, she still lives in the Library. But in EqG she travels from her room in the Crystal Palace to the Human world.

-Season 4 doesn’t acknowledge EqG, but EqG talks about things that happen in season 4

-There won’t be magic for the first part of the film. After Shimmer gets the crown though, she causes magic to get unleashed into the world. It awakens naturally for some, for others it gets forced out and they can’t control it and kind of go on a rampage.

-Twilight and the others help these humans by defeating and purifying them.

-Twilight will teach in the school and this whole thing was part of Celestia’s plan. It’s why she told Twilight that everyone would be her students in MMC.

More can be seen here
http://archive.heinessen.com/mlp/thread/S10690952#p10693927
[CITATION NEEDED]

As for these rumors . . . Yeah I don't see that happening.

CannonFodder

And you're saying they can't appeal your appeal
What the fuck are you even talking about? A appealment is when you make a legal request for a overturn of a legal decision or such. If the appealment does go through and the decision does get overturned then the person who filed the C&D would have to try and get the appealment reversed. You don't appeal a appealment, you file with a higher court to get the decision reversed.
or that appeals work 100% of the time?
We're talking about trying to claim a trademark towards characters that are NOT trademarked. Stop going, "well it doesn't 100% of the time work so that automatically means I am right". By that logic I could go "or that appeals don't get reversed 100% of the time so therefore I am right and you are wrong".
Come one man this is basic shit.
Yeah it is basic shit that you don't even have basic comprehension towards and you are arguing that because a company has money they are automatically immune to the legal system.

Tl:dr; Read a damn book sometime instead of thinking companies are automatically immune from law cause you say they are.

For those of you just tuning in me and Pastry and arguing about how I said if someone wants to make a pony game just use non-canon characters or characters that hasbro doesn't own the trademarks for, like firefly, surprise, fausticorn and such. Pastry is saying "well they'll just C&D it", to which I replied "Yeah and then file a appealment since Hasbro doesn't own the characters".

Last edited:

PastryOfApathy

What the fuck are you even talking about? A appealment is when you make a legal request for a overturn of a legal decision or such. If the appealment does go through and the decision does get overturned then the person who filed the C&D would have to try and get the appealment reversed. You don't appeal a appealment, you file with a higher court to get the decision reversed.
You're getting butthurt over semantics. Think about that, you do that yet? I really hope so.

We're talking about trying to claim a trademark towards characters that are NOT trademarked. Stop going, "well it doesn't 100% of the time work so that automatically means I am right". By that logic I could go "or that appeals don't get reversed 100% of the time so therefore I am right and you are wrong".
So if I were to color sonic yellow and call him Sonichu suddenly immune to the law? Well we can't all be smart.

Yeah it is basic shit that you don't even have basic comprehension towards and you are arguing that because a company has money they are automatically immune to the legal system.
Says the man who has so far shown a complete ignorance for who copyright works.

Tl:dr; Read a damn book sometime instead of thinking companies are automatically immune from law cause you say they are.
Why would I think they're immune from the law when I'm saying they're not? Is English your second language? Serious question.

For those of you just tuning in me and Pastry and arguing about how I said if someone wants to make a pony game just use non-canon characters or characters that hasbro doesn't own the trademarks for, like firefly, surprise, fausticorn and such. Pastry is saying "well they'll just C&D it", to which I replied "Yeah and then file a appealment since Hasbro doesn't own the characters".
Alright so let me get this straight. You can't win an argument so you over-simplify the entirety of the conversation, and misconstrue everything I said. This is what children do.

CannonFodder

You're getting butthurt over semantics. Think about that, you do that yet? I really hope so.
Alright so let me get this straight. You can't win an argument so you over-simplify the entirety of the conversation, and misconstrue everything I said. This is what children do.
Is English your second language? Serious question.
Danth's law in 5 . . 4 . . 3 . .
So if I were to color sonic yellow and call him Sonichu suddenly immune to the law? Well we can't all be smart.
There have been companies who have blatently stolen other's characters, franchises, etc and haven't gotten in trouble.
Angry birds, farmville, Pong, guitar hero, Captain America, Black cat, Deadpool, the X-men, Superman, Wildcats, Batman, the green lantern. I could go on for years.

You only own the rights to characters you have trademarked, you do not own the rights to anything and everything pertaining to it as well. Such as the trademark for superman does not extend to comic characters in general.

Last edited:

PastryOfApathy

Danth's law in 5 . . 4 . . 3 . .
I don't see how that applies here, sorry.

There have been companies who have blatently stolen other's characters or franchises and haven't gotten in trouble.
Angry birds, farmville, Pong, guitar hero, Captain America, Black cat, Deadpool, the X-men, Superman, Wildcats, Batman, the green lantern. I could go on for years.

You only own the rights to characters you have trademarked, you do not own the rights to anything and everything pertaining to it as well. Such as the trademark for superman does not extend to comic characters in general.

Hoo boy I could create a list of reasons why you're wrong. The only reason your examples still exist because either the company which owns the orginal IP decieded to either not sue, or the "rip-off" was different enough to be considered to be non-infringing.

For instance take DDR and it's (superior imo) copycat In The Groove. In the Groove cabinets were carbon-copies of DDR cabinets everything aside from graphics and music choice were completely identical. What did Konami do? They sued their asses and ultimately won via an out of court settlement (ITG would have lost anyways). It wasn't called Dance Dance Revolution and it didn't use it's graphics and characters but it was so identical that it didn't matter in a court of law. That's the point I was trying to get at this whole goddamn time.

To further solidify my point they later went on to make Pump it Up which is essentially DDR with 4 diagonal panels and a center panel, and different mechanics making it different enough to be considered non-infringing. Characters like Fausticorn and Firefly are not different enough.

CannonFodder

Hoo boy I could create a list of reasons why you're wrong. The only reason your examples still exist because either the company which owns the orginal IP decieded to either not sue, or the "rip-off" was different enough to be considered to be non-infringing.
OR they removed the serials. Which is what I am proposing people do when making a mlp fan game.

Last edited:

PastryOfApathy

OR they removed the serials. Which is what I am proposing people do when making a mlp fan game.

And I'm saying that won't fly. Courts aren't dumb, all it takes is for someone on Hasbro's legal team to make a comparison picture (seeing as I would assume they would use the same basic art style) and BAM, case closed.

CannonFodder

seeing as I would assume they would use the same basic art style
And THAT would not fly.

The reason being is that using art style as justification for your argument that something is infringment in a court case would end very very badly for a ton of people and businesses. It wouldn't just fuck over mlp fans wanting to create fan games, it would fuck over everyone, businesses included.

Last edited: