• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What is with all of this "My little pony" stuff? (The unofficial official MLP Thread)

Vukasin

Re: What is with all of this "My little pony" stuff? (The unofficial official MLP Thr

You mean bronies like that guy that sent a angry message to kevinsano warning him to "stop drawing pictures of my wife" and how apparently the guy found a chapel that would let you marry fictional characters isn't worshiping a character too much?

I don't know about you, but this by twilight sparkle fans-
http://i.imgur.com/Q9b1YUK.png
is a little much.
Obsessive bronies don't have anything to do with the character. I don't see what relevance this has to what I said.

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
Re: What is with all of this "My little pony" stuff? (The unofficial official MLP Thr

Obsessive bronies don't have anything to do with the character. I don't see what relevance this has to what I said.
So the fans overhyping a character and massively obsessing about a character doesn't have to do with a character being overrated? how does that make sense? If there was no such thing as overly obsessive fans then overrating a franchise or a character would be a physical impossibility.

To use a analogy; let's take naruto. Do you really think that franchise would be as overrated compared to it's actual quality if the fans weren't so obsessive about it.

Or in otherwords,
"<x> is the greatest single fictional character of all time! Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong! Anyone who disagrees with me isn't a true fan! I know I'm going to tell the world about how <x> is the greatest pinnacle of mankind until they agree with me and anyone that doesn't think it's the greatest thing in history is wrong! They're wrong! Saying <x> character isn't the greatest thing to have ever been graced unto mankind is a heretic! Heresy! Heresy!"

Do you really think people who go around thinking that twilight is "the greatest character in the greatest tv show of all time" will really take well to in their mind "Only heretics give the show less than 10 stars, and only heretics don't think she's the greatest character ever"?

I'm not saying that she's a terrible character, personally I think she's a average character, what I AM saying is that she's no where near being the greatest fictional character of all time nor is mlp:fim the greatest tv show of all time unlike what the fandom claims it to be.

EqD(yeah I know it's not a great site) had a while back a poll of "do you think mlp:fim is the greatest cartoon created". A third of the people who answered answered yes. So that's a hell of a lot of people going around thinking it's the greatest cartoon ever, and a hell of a lot people thinking that their best pony is the greatest thing ever. My little pony is a really good show and Twilight Sparkle is a pretty okay character, but they're both no where near the greatest achievement of all of history.

Tl:dr; Do you think that MLP:FIM is the greatest achievement of mankind and that Twilight Sparkle is the greatest fictional character of all history?
No)That's what I've been getting at.
Yes). . . I don't even.

Vukasin

I'm not going to argue with you about this, dude. All you need to realize is that it's all about personal opinion. If someone says FiM/Twilight Sparkle is their favourite show/character then who are you to say that it's wrong? When you say something is "overrated" who are you to say how much praise it deserves?

You may think Twilight Sparkle doesn't deserve the amount of praise that she gets, but it's all just your opinion and nothing more. Just let people like whatever they want as much as as they want.

CannonFodder

I'm not going to argue with you about this, dude. All you need to realize is that it's all about personal opinion. If someone says FiM/Twilight Sparkle is their favourite show/character then who are you to say that it's wrong? When you say something is "overrated" who are you to say how much praise it deserves?

You may think Twilight Sparkle doesn't deserve the amount of praise that she gets, but it's all just your opinion and nothing more. Just let people like whatever they want as much as as they want.
I know. What I mean is that it's ridiculous when people claim that it's objectively the greatest show ever and that they say that twilight sparkle is the greatest character ever. There's a difference between saying it's their favourite show and saying that it's objectively the greatest show to have ever been on air.

There's a difference between subjectively liking a character and saying that objectively she's the greatest tv show character ever.

Like my favorite show is firefly. I like malcolm the most, but there's a difference between saying "I like firefly" and "Firefly is the greatest show evar and everyone who disagrees is wrong". It's okay for people to have opinions, but that twilight is being held up as the objective bastion achievement of all mankind is way overrated.

If she wasn't being held up as the "best pony" then why are her fans still pissy that she lost a fan poll? It's one thing to say, "My favorite pony is twilight sparkle" and calling it heresy to say you like someone else. When there's a actual cult about fictional characters. . yeah that's taking it too far.

It's okay for people to like twilight sparkle, but considering that there's a cult religion based around the show yyyyeeeaaahhhh maybe people in general need to dial it back a bit and question, "Well I'm wearing a robe with a emblem of a sun, a crystal heart, the moon and a six sided star. . . Maybe I should rethink this?".

Tl:dr; So just cause we have cultists popping up worshiping her and the other princesses as deities doesn't mean people are taking their worshiping of fictional characters too far?

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears

People are taking things too far on the Internet? Never had that happen before. You're blaming the character and not the people though. Because no one here is disagreeing that people take this show too seriously and that it's bad to be infatuated with a cartoon character or any other inanimate object.

Twilight is the easiest one to really relate to for a lot of bronies I'd imagine. She starts off as the "smart one" and is really introverted with some social retardation thrown in for good measure. Gee, sounds like most people I've met on websites like this, don't it?

She's also the "main character" in that she's in more episodes or at least helps resolve most of them. She's overpowered in her magic, and I imagine that helps as well.

But she's also in "Lesson Zero" and that episode is my favorite. She has some really good freakouts, "Lesson Zero" being at the top, but that time traveling episode is also great where we see her just go about everything wrong and then wind up looking like Snake Pliskon by the end.

I dislike that her magic isn't handled with more thought to continuity, but I also don't really care. This aint Moby Dick; different expectations here.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon

*snippity snap*

So... because obsessive fans idolize a character, that character is bad? I'm not quite getting the logic.... IT sounds like you're letting the fans get to you when you are not forced to interact with them.

And with teh whole "Mary sue" thing... in all honesty, Mary Sue right now is just being used as "A character that I don't like". I see so many people love to throw around "This character is a Mary Sue" when they just list "See he is the hero, the show revolves around him". (Oh yes the MAIN CHARACTER has a show that revolves around them.) or "I actually find this character more interesting - why doesn't it revolve around this character more?"

Last edited:

Zack Fair

Sexi time, all the time.

I like ponies.

Came in this thread...this is waaaaaay too dramatic for me. *barrel rolls*

Shànwàng

Lavender Scented

I'm ready for this shit to get violent. Violent Pinkemina versus a blood thirsty megalomaniac Twilight versus I guess the worst of the other ponies. GO!

CannonFodder

And with teh whole "Mary sue" thing... in all honesty, Mary Sue right now is just being used as "A character that I don't like". I see so many people love to throw around "This character is a Mary Sue" when they just list "See he is the hero, the show revolves around him". (Oh yes the MAIN CHARACTER has a show that revolves around them.) or "I actually find this character more interesting - why doesn't it revolve around this character more?"
(been afk due to finally got dayz to work. Side note: thank you dayz commander)
Actually she's a marry sue cause she's like ebony from "my immortal" in that she's a walking deus ex machina. The difference though is that, unlike ebony, twilight doesn't abuse her magic. The fastest way to deal with a villain, that isn't discord, would be to drop a boxcar on them and make them go kersplat. I know it's a kid's show, but come on twilight you know everything from time spells, gravity spells, teleportation and that you can be a bit more creative. Why not increase gravity under the villain's feet five times to make them eat dirt? Or reverse gravity and shake them around like a kid shaking a bag with a gold fish asking them if they'll stop? Or teleport them to the moon? Or turn them into a orange? Or even something as tame as use your lullaby spell(apparently that was a actual spell) to make them fall asleep? Or even something as mundane as casting a massive light to blind them?

Twilight is a all powerful mary sue, she doesn't have enough of common sense to abuse her magic. It's like if instead of flying everywhere superman took the bus to get to crimes. She's more powerful than celestia, luna, and cadance and yet she acts helpless.

I never thought twilight was a good character cause the franchise is built up as, "in the magical land of equestria", but here's a character that knows every sort of magic and doesn't use it and acts helpless. She's pretty much princess peach.

Also the best way to deal with twilight would be to go-
"And how are you going to destroy equestria"
"Well my dear (starts to monologue)-
Twilight whispering to her friends, "Don't worry girls I have a foolproof plan to stop him while he's distracted"
villain snaps her neck, "-and then that brings me to the part of where I snap Twilight's neck. Heroes always plan their escape to take place after the villain's monologue; so if you break their neck during the middle of the monologue they never see it coming"

Last edited:

Conker

That's a running issue with magic in general. If a guy can make a fireball, then he can probably do even more crazy shit to end the problem faster. But that's not so fun.

And anyways, it's not like the pony problems are big enough for anyone to be a marry sue. This isnt' some shit fantasy novel or anything. When the show is throwing out stuff like, "Spike won't stop trying to help me and that's annoying" how the hell can anyone be a marry sue?

CannonFodder

That's a running issue with magic in general. If a guy can make a fireball, then he can probably do even more crazy shit to end the problem faster. But that's not so fun.
I beg to differ. If someone can throw fireballs like nothing then they can do utsuho Reiuji's Manipulation of Hell Blazing Fire, and burn enemies and everything within a ten mile radius to ashes.

However that's besides the point. If Twilight is so powerful which would you rather see? A actual fight or her using the elements of harmony again for another villain, and then using the using the elements of harmony again for the next villain, and then using the elements of harmony for the villain after that, also use the elements of harmony for the villain after that one, also use the elements of harmony for the villain after that villain.

If she's so powerful then why not actually show the full extent of her magic at the very least?

Last edited:

Conker

I beg to differ. If someone can throw fireballs like nothing then they can do utsuho Reiuji's Manipulation of Hell Blazing Fire, and burn enemies and everything within a ten mile radius to ashes.

However that's besides the point. If Twilight is so powerful which would you rather see? A actual fight or her using the elements of harmony again for another villain, and then using the using the elements of harmony again for the next villain, and then using the elements of harmony for the villain after that, also use the elements of harmony for the villain after that one, also use the elements of harmony for the villain after that villain.

If she's so powerful then why not actually show the full extent of her magic at the very least?
And you kinda missed my point, which is that the show never gives us scenarios like that other than maybe once a season and that's spotty at best. Who gives a shit if she has all powerful magic when half the episodes are slice of life and the other half don't need her to solve the problems.

Unless the show takes a huge directional turn, it really doesn't matter how powerful she is with the magics. Not when Fluttershy can talk the dragon down from killing everyone or Rainbow Dash can teach Scootaloo how to not be afraid of the dark.

CannonFodder

And you kinda missed my point, which is that the show never gives us scenarios like that other than maybe once a season and that's spotty at best. Who gives a shit if she has all powerful magic when half the episodes are slice of life and the other half don't need her to solve the problems.

Unless the show takes a huge directional turn, it really doesn't matter how powerful she is with the magics. Not when Fluttershy can talk the dragon down from killing everyone or Rainbow Dash can teach Scootaloo how to not be afraid of the dark.
What about the major villains though? She acts helpless during those though.

Conker

What about the major villains though? She acts helpless during those though.
So, three episode arcs then. Well, four if you count the Crystal Empire thing but honestly, he wasn't much of a villain.

The Nightmare Moon battle made sense, as did the Discord one I'd say. She upped her magical abilities through season one, but I can see why she'd crutch hard on the Elements of Harmony. Worked once, it'll work again, and Discord was doing all kinds of crazy shit. Would be easy for a spell to backfire.

So that leaves Chrysalis, and Twilight was too wrapped up in her brother and Cadence to be of real use through most of the episodes. She was distracted. I don't know how limited her abilities are in terms of "mana bar" or whatever you want to call it, but didn't she spend some magic fighting the changlings?

None of it really matters though, because in teh end you're not looking at that many episodes. There are two outcomes here: Twilight acts really powerful when going up against villains, and so to create conflict, the villains become stupidly strong and MLP turns into DBZ. Or, Twilight stays kinda stupid in the face of real danger and forgets how powerful she is and we get what we have.

CannonFodder

So, three episode arcs then. Well, four if you count the Crystal Empire thing but honestly, he wasn't much of a villain.

The Nightmare Moon battle made sense, as did the Discord one I'd say. She upped her magical abilities through season one, but I can see why she'd crutch hard on the Elements of Harmony. Worked once, it'll work again, and Discord was doing all kinds of crazy shit. Would be easy for a spell to backfire.

So that leaves Chrysalis, and Twilight was too wrapped up in her brother and Cadence to be of real use through most of the episodes. She was distracted. I don't know how limited her abilities are in terms of "mana bar" or whatever you want to call it, but didn't she spend some magic fighting the changlings?

None of it really matters though, because in teh end you're not looking at that many episodes. There are two outcomes here: Twilight acts really powerful when going up against villains, and so to create conflict, the villains become stupidly strong and MLP turns into DBZ. Or, Twilight stays kinda stupid in the face of real danger and forgets how powerful she is and we get what we have.
So they're forever just going to go, "lol problem better the elements of harmony"? That's kind of depressing that trope's going to get forever ran into the ground.

Actually there's a name for that, it's called, "the worf effect" or in other words, "Oh my god another person beat up worf, they must be a massive threat if they beat up worf even though everyone does that to prove how strong they are".
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfEffect

Last edited:

Conker

So they're forever just going to go, "lol problem better the elements of harmony"? That's kind of depressing that trope's going to get forever ran into the ground.

Actually there's a name for that, it's called, "the worf effect" or in other words, "Oh my god another person beat up worf, they must be a massive threat if they beat up worf even though everyone does that to prove how strong they are".
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfEffect
Fuck if I know. I'm not a writer on the show. I'm just saying this isn't an issue right now because a big villain shows up once in a blue moon.

The creative team seems to enjoy the show, and now that we are on season four, I'd imagine they'd look for some newer solutions to problems.

But the Elements of Harmony and TWilight's super powers aren't really one in the same, so I'm not sure how that factors into the argument.

CannonFodder

Fuck if I know. I'm not a writer on the show. I'm just saying this isn't an issue right now because a big villain shows up once in a blue moon.

The creative team seems to enjoy the show, and now that we are on season four, I'd imagine they'd look for some newer solutions to problems.

But the Elements of Harmony and TWilight's super powers aren't really one in the same, so I'm not sure how that factors into the argument.
I'm not saying they're one in the same, rather the whole, "look at how even though twilight's probably the most powerful pony she's totally helpless cause of this new villain so let's try to get the elements of harmony to solve our problems" stick is getting old.

Conker

I'm not saying they're one in the same, rather the whole, "look at how even though twilight's probably the most powerful pony she's totally helpless cause of this new villain so let's try to get the elements of harmony to solve our problems" stick is getting old.
The schtick that's been used all of what, twice?

CannonFodder

The schtick that's been used all of what, twice?
Twilight was defeated by nightmare moon then realized she was the bearer of magic. She was defeated by discord at first and then learned what discord was trying to do. She was defeated by Chrysalis. She was defeated by King Sombra's trap. She was defeated by Trixie and then won by cheating. Congratulations Twilight Sparkle, you're the new worf.

Conker

Twilight was defeated by nightmare moon then realized she was the bearer of magic. She was defeated by discord at first and then learned what discord was trying to do. She was defeated by Chrysalis. She was defeated by King Sombra's trap. She was defeated by Trixie and then won by cheating. Congratulations Twilight Sparkle, you're the new worf.
You do realize that that's sort of how narratives go, right? Defeat only to come back and win? I mean, that's not just a Twilight Sparkle thing. It's like the plot structure to almost every movie ever, not to mention other TV shows, books, and all sorts of other things.

PastryOfApathy

You know, this is part of the reason a lot of people can't stand bronyfags. It's a stupid kids show, you're looking waaaayyyyyyy too into it.

CannonFodder

​IT'S JUST A FUCKING KIDS SHOW, STOP BITCHING ABOUT FAN BOYS AND THEIR FUCKING FAVORITES YOU IMMATURE PRICKS
It has more to do about how the fandom goes, "Twilight's the greatest thing mankind has ever created! She's flawlessly perfect and only 'true' bronies have her as their top waifu and all this twilicorn drama is from fake bronies trying usurp 'my' fandom's top waifu, cause she's so smart and flawless of a character and she has such deep character who is so great". I think I have finally cracked from having to deal with this twilight fan's constant shit flinging at anyone that even remotely doesn't worship her for ten months. She's a meh character, but after listening to ten months of people trying to force others into thinking she's the greatest achievement of mankind I think I've finally gotten tired of their shit and lost it.

Okay I think I need to calm down a little and realize that people do like twilight like other characters. There are perfectly rational people who like her that don't constantly threaten others. There are perfectly rational people who realize her character flaws instead of shit flinging against a person's personal life. There are perfectly rational people who don't yell at other people's faces for liking different characters. Not every twilight fan goes around sending death threats to other fans. Not every twilight fan goes around creating attack groups to mass flag people and get them banned for saying negative things about her. Not every twilight fan goes around doing such things nonstop for ten months. Breathe in, breathe out.
Okay I'm calm
*inbox pop up and surprise it's another death threat from twilight sparkle fans about her losing that "best pony" poll
aaaaaaa-

PastryOfApathy

So again, why do you give a fuck what a bunch of retards think? Stop getting buttrustled, it's a fucking little girls cartoon.