• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What is your favorite quote?

Irreverent

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." - H. Solo

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Lazerus Long.

And I can...

blackfuredfox

is a Gunnery Sergeant now.
"To the U.S.A. Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne.
The fortune of war is changing. This time the U.S.A. forces in and near Bastogne have been encircled by strong German armored units. More German armored units have crossed the river Our near Ortheuville, have taken Marche and reached St. Hubert by passing through Hompre-Sibret-Tillet. Libramont is in German hands.

There is only one possibility to save the encircled U.S.A. troops from total annihilation: that is the honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with the presentation of this note.

If this proposal should be rejected one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A. A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hours term.

All the serious civilian losses caused by this artillery fire would not correspond with the well-known American humanity.

The German Commander."
-General Freiherr von Lüttwitz.

"Nuts!"
-General McAuliffe in reply to General Freiherr von Lüttwitz.

Pine

smell-good badger
my desktop says "Life is a bitch, fuck it like one"

kind of sexist, but I really dig it

slydude851

PSN ID: Slydude851
One that my friends like that I made right that moment was "No doubt he's homosexual" Said in a very specific way with some irony that has to do with my past reputation.

Another that one of my other friends likes was "I don't want to drive 1 hour out to the school just to get our asses handed to us on a fricken plate by the other team! ... I'd rather stay home and jack off and eat Oreos."

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." - H. Solo

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Lazerus Long.

And I can...

I can agree with these two...

"To the U.S.A. Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne.
The fortune of war is changing. This time the U.S.A. forces in and near Bastogne have been encircled by strong German armored units. More German armored units have crossed the river Our near Ortheuville, have taken Marche and reached St. Hubert by passing through Hompre-Sibret-Tillet. Libramont is in German hands.

There is only one possibility to save the encircled U.S.A. troops from total annihilation: that is the honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with the presentation of this note.

If this proposal should be rejected one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A. A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hours term.

All the serious civilian losses caused by this artillery fire would not correspond with the well-known American humanity.

The German Commander."
-General Freiherr von Lüttwitz.

"Nuts!"
-General McAuliffe in reply to General Freiherr von Lüttwitz.

Nice... I do wonder what the General's response was. My historical knowledge of that incident is rather rusty.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action." ~Frank Tibolt

"A promise is a cloud; fulfillment is rain." ~Arabian Proverb

"An idea not coupled with action will never get any bigger than the brain cell it occupied." ~Arnold Glasow

"There are so many things that we wish we had done yesterday, so few that we feel like doing today." ~Mignon McLaughlin

"A barking dog is often more useful than a sleeping lion." ~Washington Irving, adapted from a verse in the Bible

"Remember, people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions. You may have a heart of gold - but so does a hard-boiled egg." ~Author Unknown

"Never act until you have clearly answered the question: 'What happens if I do nothing?' " ~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

"Contemplation often makes life miserable. We should act more, think less, and stop watching ourselves live." ~Nicolas de Chamfort

"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on man unless they act." ~G.K. Chesterton

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~Henry J. Kaiser

"There is no moment like the present. The man who will not execute his resolutions when they are fresh upon him can have no hope from them afterwards: they will be dissipated, lost, and perish in the hurry and scurry of the world, or sunk in the slough of indolence." ~Maria Edgeworth

"Deliberation is a function of the many; action is the function of one." ~Charles de Gaulle, War Memoirs, 1960

"We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts." ~Harold Nicolson

"A nod,
a bow,
and a tip of the lid
to the person
who coulda
and shoulda
and did."
~Robert Brault, "A Poem Missing the Word Woulda," www.robertbrault.com

"Don't find fault. Find a remedy." ~Henry Ford

"What ought to have been done, and what shall be done, often stifle doing between them." ~Augustus William Hare and Julius Charles Hare, Guesses at Truth, by Two Brothers, 1827

"Success will never be a big step in the future, success is a small step taken just now." ~Jonatan MÃ¥rtensson

"Nature takes away any faculty that is not used." ~William R. Inge

"He that waits upon fortune is never sure of a dinner." ~Benjamin Franklin

"I got the blues thinking of the future, so I left off and made some marmalade. It's amazing how it cheers one up to shred oranges and scrub the floor." ~D.H. Lawrence

"If you want to kill time, try working it to death." ~Sam Levonson

"Sweat cleanses from the inside. It comes from places a shower will never reach." ~George Sheehan

"No man is born into the world whose work
Is not born with him; there is always work
And tools to work withal, for those who will...."
~James Russell Lowell

"Yes, I am positive that one of the great curatives of our evils, our maladies, social, moral, and intellectual, would be a return to the soil, a rehabilitation of the work of the fields." ~Charles Wagner

"God sells us all things at the price of labor." ~Leonardo da Vinci

"Nothing got without pains but an ill name and long nails." ~Scottish Proverb

"Without labor nothing prospers." ~Sophocles

"Idleness begets ennui, ennui the hypochondriac, and that a diseased body. No laborious person was ever yet hysterical." ~Thomas Jefferson, 1787

"It is only the constant exertion and working of our sensitive, intellectual, moral, and physical machinery that keep us from rusting, and so becoming useless." ~Charles Simmons

"Labor was the first price, the original purchase-money that was paid for all things. It was not by gold or by silver, but by labor, that all wealth of the world was originally purchased." ~Adam Smith

"A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity." ~Thomas Jefferson

"God give me work, till my life shall end
And life, till my work is done."
~Epitaph of Winifred Holtby

"A man who has no office to go to - I don't care who he is - is a trial of which you can have no conception." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice." ~Henry Ford

"Temperance and labor are the two true physicians of man." ~Jean Jacques Rousseau

"Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It's not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it's when you've had everything to do, and you've done it." ~Lord Acton

"Thank God every morning when you get up, that you have something to do that day which must be done, whether you like it or not. Being forced to work and forced to do your best will breed in you temperance and self-control, diligence and strength of will, cheerfulness and content, and a hundred virtues which the idle never know." ~Charles Kingsley

We seem as a nation to be suffering from a mania for play. The huge development of pleasure-chasing automobiles merely symbolizes our universal restless eagerness to be running after something, anything, that we can classify as diversion. Under pressure from tormenting constituents our legislatures are piling up holidays. And the cry of labor everywhere is "Cut down hours; cut down hours," until it seems as if brief, tired minutes were all that would be left for work. The obvious deduction is that work is always something to be got rid of, as if it were a curse. Yet life is work. ~Author unknown, editorial from Labor Digest, June 1922, quoted in Quotations for Special Occasions by Maud van Buren

furvien

Sniper Wolfie
"establish world peace kill everyone"
"The IRA were the best shoplifters ever" ~ my uncle (lol)

mrhippieguy

"Tell my wife I said 'Hello'"
I can't remember this one that well, it was something like
"There is no justice in saving a whale, but it is in the saving of the whale that we win."
Apparently Tingle from the LoZ series said that to Mario and Cloud from FF in a dream the my friend had.

"An eye for an eye makes everyone pirates- wait, what?" Can't remember who said that.

Jaden

That is irrelevant
"ya darn pissed yerself"-unknown

Cam

Tick my laint
"Someone asked me what punk was, so I kicked over a garbage can and said 'Thats punk!' so then he kicked over a garbage can and asked if that was punk, and I told him 'No thats trendy' "

Billie joe ♥

Rebel-lion

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." - Albert Einstein

3picFox

An hero...
"Someone asked me what punk was, so I kicked over a garbage can and said 'Thats punk!' so then he kicked over a garbage can and asked if that was punk, and I told him 'No thats trendy' "

Billie joe ♥

For art class i had to draw one of my favorite stars/celebrities/other, and i chose BJA. We had to use a quote from them in our art, and I used that :D epic quote is epic.

"ya'll dun goofed" and "dan was boobies"

Tycho

The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. - Somerset Maugham

Happiness: an agreeable sensation arising from contemplating the misery of another. - Ambrose Bierce

Cam

Tick my laint
For art class i had to draw one of my favorite stars/celebrities/other, and i chose BJA. We had to use a quote from them in our art, and I used that :D epic quote is epic.

Hes god, but better ♥

"You are no unique little snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as the rest of us." - Tyler Durden

That very quote changed my life. I love Fight Club.

teh silver-wolf

Damn straight I'M better
"Life wasn't made to be fair, life can be shit or amazing but don't EVER complain about it. It's not supposed to be curved to where anyone can do whatever they want, but sometimes it will seem like it."
~Collage football coach at practice

"If you don't try how will you ever know if you would succeed? Trying is 75% fufiling is only 25% of it. Just try and if you come back unsuccessful you have the satisfaction of knowing you tried.
~Myself to a friend about his job

Minuet

Well, Willow already did Godot's coffee line, so I suppose I'll go with...

"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day." - Joker, The Killing Joke

Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

Fighter of the Nightman
"No. No, I'm sorry, I don't know the number to, uh, my savings account because believe it or not I don't spend my entire day sitting around trying to memorize the fucking numbers to my fucking bank accounts! Moron!" - Osbourne Cox

Zaraphayx

Banned
Banned
Anything by Optimus Prime

Zaraphayx

Banned
Banned

Aozn

"Every one is insane, its just a matter of how we display it and how we use it" - Not sure if i read this some where or if I stated it at some point

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link" ~ Proverb

"Diplomacy: The art of saying "nice doggie" until you can find a rock." ~ Wynn Catlin

"A real diplomat is one who can cut his neighbor's throat without having his neighbor notice it." ~ Trygve Lie quotes

“I do not seek to rule my brethren. I seek only to release them from their chains.” ~ The Architect

Last edited:

Flowen

EdgeMaster
"Life is like a pair of pants, I find that the more I wear them the better they seem to feel". ~ Flowen