• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What kind of art interests you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger In A Tie

Say what now?
Hello all! I'm looking for advice on what type of art interests you.

My mom is having a garage sale soon, and I want to sell some art there. However, this art is different than commissions. With commissions, someone knows what my art looks like, has contacted you privately, and has a specific request for me to draw. But these are average people coming to a garage sale not knowing there will be art sold. Because of that, I obviously cant sell art like green tigers and blue wolves.

So I'm asking this. Put yourself in a person's shoes. If you came to a garage sale not expecting to find art, but found some, what would be the kind you would buy? Would it be realism? What animals? Maybe landscapes, what kind of landscapes? Would you be interested in a cartoon-y style art? What do you like in cartoons (such as funny situations, cute animals, etc.)?

All opinions are appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Eske

Don't believe the mask...
As an artist, I think my taste may be a bit different from the average garage-sale goer -- but personally, I would look for something realistic and minimalist. Generally with "neutral" animals as the subject (like butterflies, koi fish, etc), but it really depends on the painting itself and how well it's done.

Examples: one - two - three

Those are things I might buy, because those are things I might hang on my walls. Overall, the painting should be minimal, soothing, and fairly neutral in terms of subject matter (i.e., like you said, no green tigers). I'd imagine that landscapes, still life's, and especially seascapes would also do fairly well. I think even cityscapes can do well.

Personally, I wouldn't buy cartoons, but that's because I'm an artist and could probably do it myself for free. So it's hard to say from a non-artist's perspective.

Hope that helps give you some ideas! :) Good luck, I hope you make some sales!

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Remember that art has the purpose of being decorative. Is it something you'd hang on the wall with company over that doesn't embarrass your mom, family, distant relatives that (well aren't all furries?)

That gives you a better idea where to start.

Landscapes, nature, and styles like impressionism helps.

For a child of course they're still going to like cartoons, so you can still sell pictures of Pokemon, and favorite cartoons that of course are family friendly at a garage sale.

Eske

Don't believe the mask...
For a child of course they're still going to like cartoons, so you can still sell pictures of Pokemon, and favorite cartoons that of course are family friendly at a garage sale.

Oh! That's a great idea, I hadn't even thought of the kids! :) You could draw and sell colouring pages, too -- I bet that would do well!

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
Impressionism will tend to be the way to appeal to older adults in general. Many people that are not interested in art will tend to look for art that will match their sofas or other furniture. Sometimes, it's best to consider the market if you must sell to other people by random chance.

This being said, watercolors are pretty easy to manage to sell as people enjoy the more artistic look they tend to have compared to, say, photorealism. a little bit of interpretation is the way to aim as people would rather buy photography in many ways instead of realistic drawings. They want it to look hand-done. that's no excuse to get sloppy, but you can potentially sell some landscapes or building pictures.

Also, go find some cheap picture mats to sell along side them. If you can offer those, people are more apt to pick up your drawings AND the mat, because it will easily fit their decor. It's a sneaky little way to help sell your drawings by allowing them some versatility.

But back to photography, sometimes getting some of these printed off professionally will work well. And this could mean going to the local photo booth at your nearby drug store or big chain store and getting some prints made. Again, having a few picture mats may make people more apt to consider buying your work, so it's worth a shot.

FireFeathers

Mr. Red Flag
Art does not sell at garage sales. I've tried. It doesn't work. No one goes wandering about looking for art, they have specific objects in mind. I honestly wouldn't bother.

Tiger In A Tie

Say what now?
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm going to take Firefeather's advice and not sell art. I talked to my parents and I actually don't have enough money to get them printed on high quality paper.

So thanks again for everyone's help! It's appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.