• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How do you express your furrieness

• Enjoying animation/anime

Votes: 29 46.8%
  • Reading furry/anthro comics

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Playing anthro-themed video games

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Pokemon

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • I create furry art

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • I commission furry art

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I collect furry art

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • I am a therian or an otherkin

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • I have a spirit animal or a totem animal

Votes: 8 12.9%

• Total voters

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
UPDATE:
I just fixed the poll to allow for multiple entries, which some people below had suggested...

Hi, it's your friendly neighborhood greymuzzle again...

I'm writing Furry Nation, the first book tracing our fandom's birth and growth and connecting it to the human instinct that's been around forever to anthropomorphize animals. (website: furrynation.com ) It will published next fall by Cleis Press.

I'm writing this for the general public, not just furs. The book will also cover mainstream, non-furry anthropomorphism in movies like Guardians of the Galaxy, TV shows like Bojack Horseman, Broadway musicals like Cats, novels featuring anthro characters, anthro art in museums and art galleries... (I've been talking to a lot of the people who create mainstream anthro-themed works; some are cool about furry, others don't want to be associated with us in any way whatsoever.)

There's tons of non-furry anthro stuff out there, and the point I want to make is that furry is part of something much bigger and much older than most people realize.

Anyway, I'd like to add the voices of as many furs as possible to the book; this is the second thread I’m posting on FAF. (First one is here: forums.furaffinity.net: How did you come up with your fursona? )

If anyone wants to contact me personally, just PM me via my JoeStrike or Comus FA pages.

Today’s question is sort of a three-parter, with a bonus poll!

What kind of furry are you?

Is it an interest you had prior to discovering the fandom?

Did it lead you to discover furry fandom?

If your story is interesting enough to go into the book I'll contact you to make sure it's okay and maybe ask a follow-up question or two.

Thanx much, everyone!

Last edited:

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
Why can't you select several choices?

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
Not enough choices. I create some furry art and I view some for the purpose of torture and stripping me of innocence.

RileyTheOtter

The Autistic Otter
If making more than one choice was an option, i'd be checking off 7 of them.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
I'm a military fur, currently serving Queen and Country with pride since 2010.

With that said however, outside of the context I used in the development of my fursona, I'm a hobbyist at best; creating and commissioning artwork and literature that is related to the fandom in some way, shape or form, but not often enough to consider earning a wage off of it.
Outside of a fascination I had with Warhammer Fantasy's Lizardmen back in 2004, I didn't really have such an interest, and even then the concept of anthropomorphic animals didn't spark that interest until I happened across the fandom itself.

This was amid grew up watching plenty of television shows featuring anthropomorphic animals, and I was aware of anthropomorphic entities in a number of mythologies as well.
Coincidentally, it had been because of my interest in Lizardmen, and for a brief while later the biblical Leviathan, that I eventually discovered the fandom via Google search.

lyar

Its not the human race, its just the human race
I'm not a furry how dare you suggest such things!

Zipline

Noodle Fish
*raises hand* yes Mr. Zipline sir! Is this species of Scalies known for their voring and do they malt?
Excellent question Mr Fox, Scalies while appearing differently from furries do share many of the same desires as furs. Voring for example is often associated with a small mammal such as mice or just born kittens/ puppies. It has yet to be documented for a scalie to molt and is presumed that they do it a such a small scale that it is unnoticeable. Other activities that scalies are known to do are riding dinosaurs, making sanic ocs, and failing to wear clothes. Often resorting to robes instead. Below I have provided examples.
iguana_rides_a_dinosaur.jpg
1308344058.sweetpaw69_irwin_the_iguana.png

1477076591.terrixdragon56_wvw69ju0zpislyjibc.jpg
Gotta go slow!

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
Therian, writer and musician here.
It would be nice to be able to check more than one, but opted for therian in want of multiple options.
Changed the poll say you can choose as many as u want

Guilleum2

Works too hard

For the longest time I was just a black and white cat, but after I adopted a maine coon breed I said yes I want to be a FLUFFY black and white cat. Yeah my fursona isn't the most exotic, but it's what I've always drawn for... a very very long time. I have another fursona that's a poltergeist, but I guess she's less appealing because she's not as cute.
I really never knew there were other people who drew these things as much as I did. One of my exes introduced me to the online community.

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
I'm not a furry how dare you suggest such things!
Of course you're not - judging from your avatar, you're a scaly. (It's okay, we're not prejudiced against you cold-blooded types; tell the truth, I'm one myself...)