• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What operating system do you use?

amckwolf

I remember DOS, my father was a computer programmer and I would spend some hours staring in front of a black-and-green screen trying to duplicate his key strokes to fix computers and such. One thing I've always wondered about is whether or not "DOS" stood for something or if it actually was a reference to the Spanish word for "two" and therefore a "second try" at an operating system.

Microsoft's first operating system was MS-DOS which stood for Microsoft Digital Operating System. It ran on a command line similar to the consoles used on the modern Windows OSs. MS-DOS was at version 6 when they released Windows 95 which changed the face of computing forever, but to keep legacy programs running it had a full version of MS-DOS underneath it. The consumer Windows series from version 1 all the way through ME was based on MS-DOS. They made the switch on their consumer systems to Windows NT with Windows XP. Windows has been based on NT since except for Windows RT which is the version of Windows 8(.1) for ARM architecture chipsets.

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
Microsoft's first operating system was MS-DOS which stood for Microsoft Digital Operating System. It ran on a command line similar to the consoles used on the modern Windows OSs. MS-DOS was at version 6 when they released Windows 95 which changed the face of computing forever, but to keep legacy programs running it had a full version of MS-DOS underneath it. The consumer Windows series from version 1 all the way through ME was based on MS-DOS. They made the switch on their consumer systems to Windows NT with Windows XP. Windows has been based on NT since except for Windows RT which is the version of Windows 8(.1) for ARM architecture chipsets.

Glad to have that cleared up and know there wasn't an "MS-UNO". Still, it was fun to run autobat.exe just to see all the files come out.

Tica

Lady Sloth
I have linux--Ubuntu (Quantal Quetzal)--on my laptop right now, with a legal, but old, version of Win XP in VirtualBox for when I want some specific windows'only programs, like manga studio.

I switched to ubuntu when my windows vista crashed on me for no reason and never have gone back. I tried to dual-boot win 8 on my new laptop for a time, but it also had a boot error all on its own within days of purchase and gave me troubles so I wiped it to have more room on my HD.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Microsoft's first operating system was MS-DOS which stood for Microsoft Digital Operating System.
Disk Operating System, actually. Technically it wasn't even theirs, it was a clone of Digital Research's CP/M, ported to x86 (IBM PC) by Seattle Computer Products under the name 86-DOS, which Microsoft licensed to create PC-DOS for IBM and later MS-DOS on their own after purchasing all rights to the product. The working name for it while it was being developed was QDOS; Quick and Dirty Operating System.

lefurr

Well, on my one laptop which I use for pretty much everything, I've got Windows 8. I know you like building computers, but what do you use the extra laptops for, exactly?

Mostly school work and developing random things.

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
So in short, basically Linux as primary and Windows solely for gaming as follows:

Main Home PC: Dual boot Mint Linux 16 w/Cinnamon, Windows 7 Pro (gaming only)
Gaming home laptop: Dual boot, Mint Linux 15 w/Cinnamon, Windows 7 Premium (gaming only)
Home Ultrabook: Linux Mint 16 w/Cinnamon
Home, old laptop: Linux Mint 13 LTS w/XFCE
Work Desktop System: Linux Mint 15 w/Cinnamon
Work Primary Laptop: Linux Mint 16 w/Cinnamon
Work Secondary Laptop: Linux Mint 16 w/Cinnamon

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
Windows8/Linux duelboot
Currently using crunchbang, but that is likely to change later, getting a tad tired with debian.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
For everyday use, a distro of Linux: Debian and deb-based at home, and CentOS at work.

I haven't depended on any version of Windows for business or personal needs in ten whole years now. I still have some, including 8.1 on a treble-booting laptop, but I never boot into them except to update them, test things, and support customer Windows systems.

I remember DOS, my father was a computer programmer and I would spend some hours staring in front of a black-and-green screen trying to duplicate his key strokes to fix computers and such. One thing I've always wondered about is whether or not "DOS" stood for something or if it actually was a reference to the Spanish word for "two" and therefore a "second try" at an operating system.

Nah, everyone knows it takes Microsoft three versions to get anything right. :V

If you still want to play with it on a modern PC with or without an emulator, check out FreeDOS.

If you're just interested in its history, it went alternately under the names MS-DOS (as sold by Microsoft) and PC-DOS (as licensed by IBM). There were also some MS-DOS clones competing with Microsoft's DOS, which was the reason Windows 3.1 refused to install on MS-DOS clones, and the main reason Windows 95 became the first version of Windows with MS-DOS integrated. The most popular clone was DR-DOS, by the same Digital Research which made CP/M a decade earlier.

Windows has been based on NT since except for Windows RT which is the version of Windows 8(.1) for ARM architecture chipsets.

Actually, it's still Windows NT, and ARM is the seventh CPU architecture Microsoft ported NT to. The other six are x86 and x86_64 obviously, ia64, DEC Alpha, and even the PowerPC.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
I'd like to add that MAN I love getting Windows for free. I just put together a headless render box and was GOING to pirate Windows 7 Ultimate for it but then went 'Wait, my school gave me Ultimate, Professional and Win8 for free through some software hub. I should just go get a ligit key'. Though there is some terrible irony. A pirated Windows 7 doesn't demand reactivation by phone in the event of a major hardware change. My desktop recently had a CPU/Motherboard swap while keeping the same install of Windows and I'm still needing to get around to reactivating THAT ligit version of Ultimate. (Which I also got for free from my LAST school. :D)

Cutiecat

Windows and Linux.

Windows 8.1 on my desktop, many VMs running various flavors of Linux such as Debian and Fedora (these are for work, hobby etc), Windows 7 at work, a few VMs with RHEL and the list goes on.

Pepe le Chew

nenenenenene~
Using Linux Mint at the moment, KDE ed. I know it isn't light on the resources, but I theme KDE pretty heavy; it's my home and something I stare at. I need aesthetics, baby!

I used Arch, Chakra, and Sabayon Linux for years, had to switch (otherwise I couldn't use the system) due to ndiswrapper and connectivity issues. I don't dual-boot, but I have Windows 7 sitting on a drive around here somewhere as a just in case.

SnC

Windows 8.1 on my tower for gaming and photoshop, Ubuntu for coding on my laptop.

Spazzyabstract

so speaking of 8.1 im having issues with games on windows 7 ult are they really going to discontinue support for gaming on it and force you to upgrade to 8.1?

DMAN14

The wettest wolf
Windows 7 on my laptop, thought about dual booting with ubuntu but... never got around to it.

SixtyfourTehLeet

Banned
Banned
I run OS X Mavericks 10.9.0 as my main operating system...

...on my PC. :p If you want to know how to do that- well, just Google it. :B Surprisingly a vanilla (as in fresh from the App Store) with maybe only 1 kext replaced works pretty damn good on my system. ;U

Benedict Lee

Just Smile.
Windows XP, Windows 7, WIndows 8.1, with Linux based OS running in virtual machines.