• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What originally got you into Furries?

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
I've always liked animals and characters with animal traits, so I was basically a furry long before I heard of the fandom.

A few months ago, I thought I was a furry, but then I realized that I just think non-human fictional races are cool in general. I stick around because the people here are nice.

Being a furry doesn't mean one can't like other things. I'm a fan of science fiction and fantasy in general, with furries being a subset of that, yet I still consider myself a furry.

TidesofFate

Your friendly neighborhood Executioner
I'm not saying that. It's just that, I don't fit anything else in the category. Even then, I am not that big a fan of anthropomorphic people as opposed to something which is completely alien.

SolDirix

Pixel fuzz
Okay, I honestly don't know what got me into it. I grew up liking anime and pokemon, lurked around the internet and saw a bunch or artwork and communities I thought would be cool to be a part of, and then I started liking anthro art. I didn't consider going to furmeets because I never knew about them until my early college years. I went to one and it was a great decision. Ever since then I have considered myself a member of the fandom, although I don't really like the furry label very much.

I don't really classify myself as a furry, I only make up for a quarter percentage.

Mainly it's the artwork, I admire the detail and imagination that is poured into the style that projects wonderful imagery of a furry drawing.

Same here ^^. I can't afford the furry label. Too many negative connotations.

Madame_Wolfie_Ally_B.

Fox-like wolf
I've always loved animal characters. Growing up, most of my favorite shows had animal characters. I watched old cartoons too, like Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo, and more (thank you, Boomerang), which I think added onto it. My favorite movies were Balto, Stuart Little, and Ratatouille. And I never outgrew them. When I'd draw as a kid, be it for fun or for school stuff, I'd draw animals, oftentimes anthro animals (this actually got me in trouble during a group project in elementary school once because a boy I had to work with got mad at me for drawing a dog instead of a person XD). When I first started playing video games, I played things like Spyro the Dragon and the Ratatouille game (which, looking back on it, wasn't a very good game :p). I continued drawing animals. I continued watching shows and movies with animal characters. It wasn't until I got to middle school that I learned what a furry was. And at first, I thought it was just perverts. So I hated it. But as I looked more into it, I thought "oh, that seems cool, I'm kinda like that", and I even made a fursona (which is much different than my current one). But I never showed my drawings to anyone out of fear I'd get made fun of, or my parents would get mad. And it was around that time my cousin showed me an old game series that I grew to really enjoy myself: Sly Cooper. That was what really made me think "okay, I'm probably a furry"
It wasn't until a couple years later I decided to become a furry, however.
So, basically, I never outgrew my love for anthropomorphic animal characters, I love drawing them, and I want a fursuit. So, I'm a furry. :p

reptile logic

An imposter among aliens.
I'm not saying that. It's just that, I don't fit anything else in the category. Even then, I am not that big a fan of anthropomorphic people as opposed to something which is completely alien.

I understand. If I'm using the terminology correctly; my fursona is not only furless, but is also not anthromorphic.

No suit for you!

Last edited:

PrismaKitty

Draws with Claws
I have always had a deep love for animals. I really liked The Lion King and I used to really be into Sonic when I was younger. When I look back, I think that's where the interest originated. I never thought I could be involved in the furry fandom until I just joined last month.

3Kurama3

I've always loved animals, since my family had the sweetest dog ever! My favorite Disney movies will always be the ones with animals, including Lion King and Robin Hood. Sonic was also a game franchise I loved. I found out about the fandom, and grew to love it! Ever since then, I've been a fur, and I'll never forget any of my experiences with this fandom.

Scar_Travis

Aside from all the anthro TV shows and movies that we all have seen and love, what specifically got me into the idea of "Wow this would be such a cool world to live in!" is watching Robin Hood as a kid and playing all the Sly Cooper games

Jaxs_The_Warrior_Wolf

"A jack of all trades Aand a master of none"
Id say the first time I said to myself was watching Batman Beyond the episode with the splicers and I was like "man it would be so cool to be able to become an animal" and that's about it, haha

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Id say the first time I said to myself was watching Batman Beyond the episode with the splicers and I was like "man it would be so cool to be able to become an animal" and that's about it, haha
Holy shit
For a while, I always wanted to be a snake person
Guess I wound up going a different way :p

I'd say I got into the whole anthro thing officially when I was ten, but when I was eight, I loved the whole furry thing, and humanized animals living lives like humans. I then learned about the furry fandom, and I was already a little weirdo, so I thought... why not?! But for the longest time, I thought my family hated furries. Surprising now how some of my family members are extremely supportive.

Madame_Wolfie_Ally_B.

Fox-like wolf
Sadly the cringe comps

Anyone ever notice that most furry cringe comps aren't very cringey at all?
I guess that fursuit = cringe or something.
Not saying there aren't cringey furries in cringe comps, though. I've seen a few. But I've also seen Zabu the sergal, Telephone Ring Ring, Majira Strawberry, and Al CaBone in cringe comps, so it's kinda hard to call them "cringe" tbh ._.

Kioskask

Anyone ever notice that most furry cringe comps aren't very cringey at all?
I guess that fursuit = cringe or something.
Not saying there aren't cringey furries in cringe comps, though. I've seen a few. But I've also seen Zabu the sergal, Telephone Ring Ring, Majira Strawberry, and Al CaBone in cringe comps, so it's kinda hard to call them "cringe" tbh ._.
That's very true, I've watched a few just for the content :D