• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What painting program do you use?

Hybrid Persona

Submit to the blue.
For me, nothing at the moment since I haven't started any art yet, unless you count Paint.NET which is an image editor of course. Which is why I'm interested in hearing what you guys recommend.

N30Nphoenix

Kitty-fox
Right now I'm using Procreate on my iPad, one of the best drawing programs for the tablet for sure.

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
But isn't that much more geared though toward image editing?

Yes, but it also contains a plethora of drawing tools that permit creation of digital artwork entirely from scratch

I myself use such an application, an ancient Photoshop-wannabe from the Win95 era, although I use it more to process and color scanned pencils/inks than attempting to create digital drawings from a blank canvas. I do from time to time experiment with a couple of freeware digital painting applications though:

SmoothDraw
MyPaint

Both of these are geared to digital sketching/painting, employ layers and canvas rotation, etc. Each has features the other may or may not have, so depending on your desired end-result, you might use one or even both in conjunction with each other or other applications. (for example, I don't think either one does text)

---PCJ

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
I feel like a similar thread has gone around recently? But I can't find it so oh well

I use MyPaint, Krita and GIMP mostly, because I love supporting free open-source software :] I have SAI and Manga Studio, Mischief also on my computer but I don't use them half as much.

Once the newest mypaint update gets pushed through - the one with masks - I'll probably stick mostly to that program since I feel most comfortable with it. I am messing around with Krita a lot recently and really enjoying it!

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
I use Paint Tool SAI and Photoshop.

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
I use Photoshop to do the images themselves, but I use MS Paint for cropping. I know Photoshop does this, but for some strange reason, I prefer to do it on Paint.

Hybrid Persona

Submit to the blue.
I use Photoshop to do the images themselves, but I use MS Paint for cropping. I know Photoshop does this, but for some strange reason, I prefer to do it on Paint.
iknorite?

Every image editing tool has cropping but MS Paint makes it so easy. It's actually the only thing I use MS Paint for anymore.

In any case, thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far. Quick question though. For the people that use paid-for programs like Photoshop and SAI, would you strongly recommend them over their freeware counterparts?

Last edited:

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
iknorite?

Every image editing tool has cropping but MS Paint makes it so easy. It's actually the only thing I use MS Paint for anymore.

In any case, thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far. Quick question though. For the people that use paid-for programs like Photoshop and SAI, would you strongly recommend them over their freeware counterparts?

I wouldn't know, personally. I already had Photoshop when I began my journey into digital drawings, so it was just convenient.

My graphics tablet came with complementary art software, but I never tried it.

Taralack

Every image editing tool has cropping but MS Paint makes it so easy.

Really? Wouldn't it be easier to just use a crop tool (or crop to selection command) in whatever program you're using and then save it from there? Seems like cropping in MS Paint is just adding an extraneous step. Besides, it's better to Save for Web from Photoshop since it's better optimized for size.

Hybrid Persona

Submit to the blue.
Really? Wouldn't it be easier to just use a crop tool (or crop to selection command) in whatever program you're using and then save it from there?
Actually, what I do is just resize the canvas with the image border points which, in turn, crops the image. No tools necessary. Really great for quick crops.

Tica

Lady Sloth
I typically use the GIMP, and Inkscape for vector work. I recently bought Manga Studio 5 and am slowly getting used to it. It's a lot smoother with the linework, laying down flat colors is a breeze in it, and I'm getting used to the different brushes and textures. Still trying to figure out how to create my own textures for it the way I do in GIMP.

sniperfreak223

More Metal Than You !!!
umm....right now acrylic or oil and canvas...or sometimes watercolor pencil an heavy sketch paper. I haven't yet taken the plunge into digital artwork, plus I'm a little scared of the learning curve.

Rydenan

Artrage Studio. It's sooper dooper basic, but I kinda like that. Makes it easy to use.
Also it's cheap. ;)

I probably should take the time to learn photoshop or SAI, as most of my real-artist friends use and swear by those.
But they're rather daunting, especially photoshop.

Hybrid Persona

Submit to the blue.
Artrage Studio. It's sooper dooper basic, but I kinda like that. Makes it easy to use.
Also it's cheap. ;)
Huh. Looking at some of your art though, it seems that the program's basic functionality isn't affecting the quality of it at all. Guess it just goes to show that you don't need a fancy pants paint program to make good art.

Last edited:

Misomie

Lazy Artist
Paint.net. :<

I'm looking at buying Sai and Photoshop eventually though. Some day... ^^;

Taralack

Huh. Looking at some of your art though, It seems that the program's basic functionality isn't affecting the quality of your art at all. Guess it just goes to show that you don't need a fancy pants paint program to make good art.

The more you know ;)

DeCatt

Parking Lot Enthusiast
Good old SAI, Flash CS6 Pro and Photoshop Extended CS6