• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What species are the most commonly used in the community? Least used?

Liberonscien

Which species are used most often? And which species are used least often?

Peach's

mathmagician
Weird thought I just had, its all vaguely related to the Great Chain of Being from medieval philosophy which constantly come into play with how people think of the world. Basically it was a hierarchy with god up top, then angles, then humans, and then animals, which were also assorted into such a hierarchy with foxes and dogs on the top, and on the bottom stuff like clams and barnacles. This kind of relates to how people tend to choose animals.

This doesn't 100% correlate due to, A: medieval philosophy being mostly wrong about how animals worked, and B: there seems to be a very strong anti-ape bias in the community, very few Chimps, Gorillas, ect.

I have found that after I learned of this concept... you start to see it everywhere in society and philosophy, its kind of an in-built human bias.

MCtheBeardie

Queen of Laziness
Well, I’m the only bearded dragon lizard I know. So it’s safe to say that bearded dragons are among the least used species in the fandom. Common ones I often see are wolves, foxes, and mythical dragons. Original species and animal hybrids are fairly common, too, fren.

Liberonscien

Weird thought I just had, its all vaguely related to the Great Chain of Being from medieval philosophy which constantly come into play with how people think of the world. Basically it was a hierarchy with god up top, then angles, then humans, and then animals, which were also assorted into such a hierarchy with foxes and dogs on the top, and on the bottom stuff like clams and barnacles. This kind of relates to how people tend to choose animals.

This doesn't 100% correlate due to, A: medieval philosophy being mostly wrong about how animals worked, and B: there seems to be a very strong anti-ape bias in the community, very few Chimps, Gorillas, ect.

I have found that after I learned of this concept... you start to see it everywhere in society and philosophy, its kind of an in-built human bias.
I once considered for a month or so making my fursona be some kind of ape because I kept getting drawn back to the human archetype. I still do.

Liberonscien

Well, I’m the only bearded dragon lizard I know. So it’s safe to say that bearded dragons are among the least used species in the fandom. Common ones I often see are wolves, foxes, and mythical dragons. Original species and animal hybrids are fairly common, too, fren.
Interesting.

I am trying to, among other things, bring the less popular species to the surface in a thing I am working on.

MCtheBeardie

Queen of Laziness
Interesting.

I am trying to, among other things, bring the less popular species to the surface in a thing I am working on.

Awesome! That’s cool to hear, fren! I hope you have success with your little project, it sounds interesting.

The only other unusual species I’ve seen in the fandom so far is an Asian Tapir. Other than that, yeah, this fandom is mostly canines, felines and dragons. Avians and other scalies, as well as less popular mammals, tend to be in the minority. You won’t find many Saigas and Oryx out there, I’m afraid.

TR273

Pirate Fox Mom
Off the top of my head I can think of three other mice I've encountered on the forum, so we're not really in a majority, the bulk of my encounters have been dragons, foxes, felines and canines.

Liberonscien

Awesome! That’s cool to hear, fren! I hope you have success with your little project, it sounds interesting.

The only other unusual species I’ve seen in the fandom so far is an Asian Tapir. Other than that, yeah, this fandom is mostly canines, felines and dragons. Avians and other scalies, as well as less popular mammals, tend to be in the minority. You won’t find many Saigas and Oryx out there, I’m afraid.
Interesting.

I'm working on a world where all of the animals on earth acquire sapience over the course of many generations with the close relatives to humans acquiring sapience first, then the farther relatives later.

AcoriStormy

Hoarder of Dimes and Pronouns
I think one species that people forget is really popular is sharks. I can't go anywhere without tripping over two or three of them XD but they're not considered "generic furry" like foxes and wolves and cats.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I think one species that people forget is really popular is sharks. I can't go anywhere without tripping over two or three of them XD but they're not considered "generic furry" like foxes and wolves and cats.

Also, Sergals, though this has perhaps died down a bit? But for a while, they seemed to be breeding like rabbits! Still, I'd group them as 'common', and perhaps the most common invented/open species.

~

Outside of certain invented species, though, it seems that species with which there are fewer connotations in the western mind are the most rare. There's many animals I think would make amazing fursonas from around the globe, but I think furs avoid them due to the risk of simply being overlooked.

I have an alternate Fossa fursona that I have used in RPs, and that's been a fun/successful thing here and again, though, it generally takes some time to explain Fossas, their folklore, and background, before going into the fursona itself. But having done a fair bit of research on Fossas and the native cultures of Madagascar, the endeavor has paid off, and been quite fun, as a fursona used every now and again, and one quite in contrast to my normal, sweet as pie, Skunk one : P

Liberonscien

Sharks are one of the ones I like the most though they are not often rendered realistically.

Canids are definetely most common.

I think Cynodonts and other protomammals like my sona are pretty rare. The only thing close to mine Ive ever seen was a Gorgonopsid.

Liberonscien

Canids are definetely most common.

I think Cynodonts and other protomammals like my sona are pretty rare. The only thing close to mine Ive ever seen was a Gorgonopsid.
What are those?

A gorgonopsid. Same time period. But imagine a sabre-toothed tiger and a komodo dragon having a baby.

Liberonscien

Cynodonts? They were the link between reptiles and mammals for the most part. They lived during the Permian and Triassic.

A gorgonopsid. Same time period. But imagine a sabre-toothed tiger and a komodo dragon having a baby.
Fascinating.

I'm trying to educate people on less popular but still interesting animal species in a thing I am writing.

Drawmander

I draw and I mander - axolotl
Unfortunately, I fear the opabinia may be the least used species.

It deserves better.
Axolotl are also pretty rare, but I saw a few when I googled it.

Liberonscien

Unfortunately, I fear the opabinia may be the least used species.

It deserves better.
Axolotl are also pretty rare, but I saw a few when I googled it.
Have you ever seen it be used before?

N

Nyro46

Foxes seem to be the most common, or wolves. Basically a lot of canids and felids are used, but that doesn't really count ALL members of those classes. There are plenty of canids and felids too that are not as commonly used or even fairly rare - many wild cat species, some wild canids or uncommon dog breeds. My fursona is a caracal/osprey hybrid, caracals are not SUPER common in the community, and I have never seen an osprey so far.

Some mustelids are common but others are pretty rare. Otters are probably the most used, surprisingly I see quite a few martens occasionally, and then ferrets and sometimes weasels. But mink, fishers, wolverines and polecats, and probably some others I haven't listed, I don't really see that often if ever. (For mink I am not including Sonic characters or anything related to Minerva Mink).

Others I can think of are dragons, skunks, raccoons, kangaroos, bears, and maybe some other species I forgot, that are fairly popular or I at least see often enough. Pretty much anything else isn't as common or not seen at all. In general there don't seem to be as many scalies (I think the most common for those would be dragons as I've mentioned, second would be alligators/crocodiles) and definitely not a lot of bird fursonas around. Amphibians aren't very common, and many hoofed animals are not so common sometimes (the most for them I've seen are cows and sometimes horses). Also, you don't really see any bugs or sea animals either (besides sharks).

There are some "open species" within the community too, some being more common than others. Mostly Sergals and Dutch Angel Dragons I see.

The thing is though is that most sharks I see in the fandom are this weird sort of creature that doesn't really actually look like a shark. They have shark-like features, but also mammalian features and ears, they look more like they could be their own species. I am not much of a fan of these "sharks".
Though there are other shark "furries" that look a bit more shark-like.

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
Off the top of my head I can think of three other mice I've encountered on the forum, so we're not really in a majority, the bulk of my encounters have been dragons, foxes, felines and canines.
Are the three mice all blind?:rolleyes:

When I got into the Fandom, there were only three other Sabertooths. A few years ago at FWA in Georgia, there was a photoshoot for Sabertooth fursuiters (which I missed), and twenty fursuiters showed up.

Most common? Foxes.

Least common? Anything from the ocean pretty much. I know a walrus, a killer whale, and even a goldfish, but aquatic fursonas aren't that common. I could pick a thousand obscure extinct species, for example a coelacanth or even a crinoid, which many confuse with a plant.

Liberonscien

Interesting. I am trying to compile a list of fursona types commonly used for curiosity fulfillment purposes, among other things.

Peach's

mathmagician
Interesting. I am trying to compile a list of fursona types commonly used for curiosity fulfillment purposes, among other things.
Are you trying to find rare SPECIES or rare kinds or genera of animals? I've noticed in some of these that people will post some specific species like "Arctic Fox" which (lets just say) may be rare, but it very well fits into the fox archetype.

There are also weird quirks with species vs conception, as Box Jellyfish and Portuguese Man of war are about as different genetically as a human and a frog, but we kind of lump them both into "Jellyfishes."