• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What tablet to get?

Scotty1700

is bored :V
Ive been wanting to take up art for a while but handdrawn art fell to pieces for me so I want to try digital art. Ive seen a live stream or 2 and it looks slightly easier only I have no clue what kind of tablet to get...I'm planning on buying it once I get a stable income which I admit won't be for a while but I want to at least get a gameplan in my head.

Ive been recommended the "Wacom Intuos3 6 x 8 tablet" and it seems good (a little pricey but I bet I could manage)

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
really it's only as easy as you know how to use one. I only use mine for lineart and coloring these days and rarely if ever for drawing; it's not as easy to turn a canvas on the computer as it is for a piece of paper, and you sort of lose eye-hand coordination when you first start out...

But of course that's just me! I guess I just heed warning to beginning artists on investing $150-$250 on a peripheral that they might not find helps them. If you're set on saving up and buying one though, the intuos is a great series, but for a beginner I think you could do just as well with a Bamboo Fun. My girlfriend and I have both a Bamboo Fun and an Intuos 2. Something crazy like a 12 x something. But the Bamboo is usually plugged in because it's so convenient and does the job just as well (most of the time!).

Anyway hope that helps! If you find one of the older versions of the Bamboo Fun on ebay or something it'll be cheaper. This is the one I have, btw.

Scotty1700

is bored :V
really it's only as easy as you know how to use one. I only use mine for lineart and coloring these days and rarely if ever for drawing; it's not as easy to turn a canvas on the computer as it is for a piece of paper, and you sort of lose eye-hand coordination when you first start out...

But of course that's just me! I guess I just heed warning to beginning artists on investing $150-$250 on a peripheral that they might not find helps them. If you're set on saving up and buying one though, the intuos is a great series, but for a beginner I think you could do just as well with a Bamboo Fun. My girlfriend and I have both a Bamboo Fun and an Intuos 2. Something crazy like a 12 x something. But the Bamboo is usually plugged in because it's so convenient and does the job just as well (most of the time!).

Anyway hope that helps! If you find one of the older versions of the Bamboo Fun on ebay or something it'll be cheaper. This is the one I have, btw.

Thanks, Ive also heard that bamboos are good as well. based on price, I'll probably go with one of them. :)

Smelge

Hey, Assbutt
If you're going second-hand, Wacom themselves sell refurbished tablets for well below the market price. Just have a look around their site.

Personally, I use a Bamboo and it's pretty awesome. The canvas rotation issue is easy enough if you have CS4 and set one of the tablet keys to Rotate Canvas and a second to Brush. Plus, you can make it a bit better for drawing by taping a bit of paper over the tablet to increase friction and make it feel more like actual drawing.

Given the choice, I'd stick to the Bamboo unless you intend to go crazy and slap down a wad for a Cintiq. One day...

mapdark

Fluffy as a shaggy carpet
Bamboo are decent , of course you need to remember that it is the lower-quality line from Wacom. So they won,t have the same snazzy stuff as the intuos tablets.

But they're pretty good for non-professional stuff :)

Blainthepain

I only hear good stuff about wacoms but ive got a vistablet and it works great

whatsapokemon

Ive been recommended the "Wacom Intuos3 6 x 8 tablet" and it seems good (a little pricey but I bet I could manage)

That is the exact tablet I currently have. No matter how badly I mistreat it it's still working just as well as when I got it.

The accuracy is fantastic, pressure, tilt, rotation, all that jazz. If you flip over the pen it swiches to an eraser!

But really, most tablets work just the same, any differences are minor, or cosmetic.

Note that it will not automatically make you a better artist, it takes a lot of getting used to if you're used to pencil and paper. But I, personally, think it's better. Even if it's just because you'll save paper, and have the handy 'undo' button.