• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What the hell is "libery"

Sam Akuchin Wamm

Banned
Banned
There's an old song about pirates fighting the East India Company and one line reads "liberty, livery, libery" and have no idea what libery is.

The nearest thing i could find was somewhere that said it meant to "clean out" as if sweeping the dust from the floors out of the door with a broom.

Anybody actually know what this word means?

if it helps it's pronounced "lie berry" in the song.

Sam Akuchin Wamm

Banned
Banned
Do you have the original title of the song and its date of release?
well i've no idea when the song was originally written but it was part of a collection of sea shanties that was compiled in Victorian times (1880's maybe) and basically the song title is along the lines of "screw the british" but in more colorful words. i think you can probably guess the title from that without any help. the book says it was overheard from a bunch of cornish fishermen in a bar and when the writer asked how old the song was they just said "i guess it's from when the british were in east india" but that was only a guess given the lyrics.

sorry, i'm not good at british history, i'm an immigrant.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I cannot find any mention of 'libery' or any mention of the original song by this name;
I just find Irish protest music and none of it features the themes you mentioned.