• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What to do with my network drive?

Foxy Emy

*Mischivious Noises*
So, I set up a network drive for my home network. It is plugged directly into my router/modem combo. All that I am currently using it for is automated backups of my personal files.

However, I feel there is something more I could do with it. Especially since my Smart TV seems to be able to interact with it. Perhaps capture a bunch of movies with my capture card and save them to the drive?

Maybe use it for important files, such as tax documents so when I replace my computer, I can still access them?

If I had an old desktop, I could install VyOS, set up a VPN, and use it as personal cloud storage, maybe even use KeePass2 so I could have synced password storage. The only problem with that is the need for an old desktop. Which, surprisingly, I don't already have.

Maybe it is time to start a youtube career and I could use the drive to store footage so I can test it on my big screen?

IDK. I want to do something cool with it but I don't know what. Though, I suppose the automated backups will prove useful down the road.

Let me know what you guys think! I am open to new ideas!

zeroPony

If you want ready to go solution - buy Synology. It have bunch of apps for any situation.
I use it for private cloud, torrents, backups, media server, host some web apps like rss aggregator, wiki for notes.