• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What to Improve On? Brutal Honesty Needed.

Clohverr

Hello! I have just recently begun drawing furries, and it is fairly clear to see from my artwork. I know practice makes perfect, so I've been drawing every day for a month now, but I'm now realizing that I've got no idea what specifically to try and improve. I don't know what I'm doing well, and all that I'm doing incorrectly, I just know that when I finish my works, they don't look half as good as they could. Here's a SFW example of my newest work. Let it be noted that the majority of my account is NSFW.
www.furaffinity.net: A Date by Clohverr

I am overall happy with the image for what I'm capable of, but it looks very novice and I'd love to break that. So I'd love some critique and comments and what I'm doing right, wrong, and how to improve. Be as brutally honest as you need, I just care about getting better. Thanks! :)

TL;DR- Please help me suck less.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
I cannot help you much but i can openly say that you are much better than me

MissNook

Hello there,

From what I see you should keep studying anatomy. You're trying nice poses with shortcuts but some of the limbs (especially the joints of legs, arms and hands) need some more training.
You also need to understand a little more the perspective of the body when the legs and torso are shortcut. The torso often seem too small or too long when doing a view from the rear (same for the opposite view ^^)
The paws you draw are quite good, just don't forget the palm for the hands (in some drawings you draw them and in some there's just the fingers)

For the coloring now, you've got a cute style. But I think you need to try doing stronger shadows, at least for training. You can do that in a specific layer, then you can hide it at the end of the drawing if you like it better with softer shadows. The reason why I say that is because when doing soft shadows, you can make more mistakes about their positions without it to look bad. That should help you to work on volumes.

Last but not least, you don't often do necks for your characters. It suits your style but don't forget to see how it works to have better positioning for the heads ^^

Hope that helps!

Yvvki

Sassy lesser panda.
It might help to look at a photograph of a real person to get a feel of where things are. For example, there almost always is a gap in between the bewbs. It would also help to see how small/big arms are to the body. Ect.

LoganGreypaw

Writes filthy words for filthy furs
Do you know of any "life drawing" classes in your area? They're one of the best ways to improve anatomy drawing; plus they're fun!

fralea

Brutal honesty? You need to nail down your fundamentals- there doesn't seem to be an understanding of 3d form. I'd recommend doing some still lifes of simple shapes (boxes, balls, styrofoam cones, paper towel roll for a cyllinder maybe) before you jump into anatomy practice. You can still eventually aim for a toony style, but practicing drawing from life will help the internal logic of your image. For example, compare the cup to the cat's head and paws-- that must be a shot of espresso cause its a tiny cup :p

Your lineart also seems rushed/shaky. Warmups like this might help (trying to get the shapes perfect and the lines evenly spaced):
ex.jpg

Its a cute drawing regardless!