• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What video game are you playing...

T

TemetNosce88

Not much lately, but Derail Valley when I have time. It's a fun first-person train driving game.

Stardew Valley, Dark Souls, Animal Crossing. That's 3x the amount of free time I actually have. ;~;

Judge Spear

That's something I have to try myself. I wasn't aware the Beta for that game was leaked? I'd have to question how that even happened. I of course appreciate that Star Fox Adventures gave spotlight to Fox and put him on foot. It's neat, but I think I'd have still preffered Dinsour Planet just based on how creative and different the premise was. I always thought that was one of Nintendo's scummier moves, to pressure Rare into killing it's own original IP, just to have Star Fox wear it's corpse like Buffalo Bill. Never sat right for me. I do appreciate learning that it's actually possible to downlaod the beta of that game. One of the many things to put on my to play list.

I didn't get notified of this for some reason.
But yeah. Someone found it and just put it online.
And from the interviews I've read over the years, Nintendo didn't exactly pressure Rare. If there was any pressure, it was from the senior leads of Rare put onto the developers to nearly completely rewrite what they had. But even that was only mild disappointment. It was more of a suggestion from Shigeru Miyamoto to use StarFox instead based on how the gaming climate was turning. Lead software engineer, Phil Tossell recounts Nintendo wasn't even interfering with development and gave Rare basically free reign. Nintendo and Rare had a very good relationship.

When you think about it, it actually makes a bit of sense. Dinosaur Planet was being developed at the tail end of an aging, commercially failed console. Nintendo saw this and reached out asking if they'd like to use the StarFox license instead. Rare decided to also switch to GameCube for obvious reasons. But new IP's at a hardware's launch are risky for any studio. StarFox wasn't Mario or Zelda, but it was still hot at the time after 64 and could do numbers if it launched with the GameCube's opening years. Rare historically was extremely successful with Nintendo's IP's. They could only really benefit from it.

Dinosaur Planet's development in the first place was actually *very* turbulent. Before Krystal and Sabre, it was initially to be a game starring Timber the Tiger (who was also supposed to be the original star of Diddy Kong Racing.)
Despite it's legacy, you can still see how much work went into it despite the small team which is likely the real reason the game didn't pan out so perfectly. The lighting, texture, detailed animation work, and facial expressions were showstoppers. Combat was particularly eyecatching for a Nintendo entry as well and there was an overall rich art direction. There was also still that classic RareWare variety in gameplay. Honestly, becoming a StarFox game was likely the best outcome Dinosaur Planet as a concept could have even had.

Parabellum3

I'm not a furry if I have feathers.
Waiting for BF2042. Sometimes I play H3VR, Okami, Dishonored, and I'm making my own game too.

KimberVaile

Self congratulatory title goes here
I didn't get notified of this for some reason.
But yeah. Someone found it and just put it online.
And from the interviews I've read over the years, Nintendo didn't exactly pressure Rare. If there was any pressure, it was from the senior leads of Rare put onto the developers to nearly completely rewrite what they had. But even that was only mild disappointment. It was more of a suggestion from Shigeru Miyamoto to use StarFox instead based on how the gaming climate was turning. Lead software engineer, Phil Tossell recounts Nintendo wasn't even interfering with development and gave Rare basically free reign. Nintendo and Rare had a very good relationship.

When you think about it, it actually makes a bit of sense. Dinosaur Planet was being developed at the tail end of an aging, commercially failed console. Nintendo saw this and reached out asking if they'd like to use the StarFox license instead. Rare decided to also switch to GameCube for obvious reasons. But new IP's at a hardware's launch are risky for any studio. StarFox wasn't Mario or Zelda, but it was still hot at the time after 64 and could do numbers if it launched with the GameCube's opening years. Rare historically was extremely successful with Nintendo's IP's. They could only really benefit from it.

Dinosaur Planet's development in the first place was actually *very* turbulent. Before Krystal and Sabre, it was initially to be a game starring Timber the Tiger (who was also supposed to be the original star of Diddy Kong Racing.)
Despite it's legacy, you can still see how much work went into it despite the small team which is likely the real reason the game didn't pan out so perfectly. The lighting, texture, detailed animation work, and facial expressions were showstoppers. Combat was particularly eyecatching for a Nintendo entry as well and there was an overall rich art direction. There was also still that classic RareWare variety in gameplay. Honestly, becoming a StarFox game was likely the best outcome Dinosaur Planet as a concept could have even had.
That's possible, from what interviews I read, Rare had some pressure from Miyamoto. Though, I was probably remembering it a little worse than how it was actually worded. I do recall that there was a pretty severe internal division in Rare about what to do. I suppose it might be a bit too harsh to blame Nintendo for what could just be an honest suggestion. It's still a bit personally disappointing to me to see Star Fox Adventures in Place of Dinosaur planet but it might be more fair to say Rare's internal division was self inflicted more than an outside party's fault.

I think mostly the concepts they were going for, and all the different characters and themes they were going for had me intrigued. I believe there was more time given to other characters, and that the theme was going was a little more thematically interesting and complex. So on. At least, it's what I recall about what was said of Dinosaur Planet. For all I know that could be total BS. The Star Fox Adventures route was probably the more economically wise direction, that much is true. Perhaps not the most artistically interesting option, at least possibly so. Though, despite my complaining, I do like star Fox Adventures, but I always felt it could have been more and I've always wondered what the final product would have looked like. I guess now I can more accurately get a better if all the stuff I'm going on about might have any merit! Kinda just glad I'll have the chance to see for myself what could have been.

Last edited:
Stalker A.R.E.A.
I see this inscription more often than my penis.
Difficult but interesting.
ss_Сталкер_10-31-21_13-17-51_(l01_escape).jpg

Judge Spear

This Animal Crossing update is lame. Nearly two years and thats all they got for us in this tedious, skimpy game.
And they're never updating this again after this and the $25 DLC?

Wooow...

Outré

(o͞o-trā′)
Today I was playing super Mario Brothers U on my switch… One of my favorite Mario games since super Mario world!

Ennui Elemental

Eat shit and die, tankie assholes
Banned
Getting back into practice with Grim Dawn lately, they dropped a new patch recently that tweaked a lot of things and I figured I would kind of get reacquainted with it.

Ennui Elemental

Banned
I broke my keyboard while playing this game. I don't want to play it anymore.
It has a few serious difficulty spikes and sometimes it throws you at things you're not quite ready for due to RNGesus giving you the screwie on gear drops, but as aRPGs go it's one of my favorites. Biggest gripe is that the number bar is a terrible way to manage skills, especially if you have a lot of them.

Note: do not try to win a damage race with Aleks he's a bastard about it

Last edited:

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
For the longest time I avoided it because the only version of Binding of Isaac I ever tried was the flash version on a craptop that lagged to hell on it. Combined with the grotesque artwork I just didn't think it'd be my thing. Its actually quite fun though! There's an absurd amount of content that makes each run different from the last, which a decent number of secrets that lead to new floors of the dungeon and content. Music is pretty metal too.

Ennui Elemental

Banned
Pick Titan

Think "oh it'll probably be a basic tank but that should be good for learning the game"

Accidentally become One Punch Man

Mike Lobo

Right now I'm playing Deep Rock Galactic, Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord, Cossacks 3, and a little Payday 2 here and there. Gonna get back into Chivalry 2 at some point. That game is really fun.

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
LoL.

I just can't give up Yuumi!
There's no videogame I've discovered yet that has both A) Being interactive enough to affect the game flow while that also makes the game rewarding to play, and B) Having a playable character as a catto! Without any aid of mods(Which is also being shown to all other players that I am playing as one)!