• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What video game are you playing...

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
Warhammer 40K: Mechanicus.

Really enjoying the game thus far.

Kope

Artist?
Banned
Playing Chrono Cross on my switch rn

Rayd

profound asshole
been playing rimworld a lot again recently!

i got raided by a bunch of super soldiers almost immediately after raising the difficulty. to say the least, one of my colonists are taking the outcome super hard
unknown.png

but hey, at least the hospital he's staying in is somewhat impressive!
unknown.png

Reavos

"always up to .... shenanigans"
been playing rimworld a lot again recently!

i got raided by a bunch of super soldiers almost immediately after raising the difficulty. to say the least, one of my colonists are taking the outcome super hard
unknown.png

but hey, at least the hospital he's staying in is somewhat impressive!
unknown.png
well there is nothing like an impressive hospital

Chaosmasterdelta

Rule Breaker
My Time at Portia. The only major complaint that I have so far is that it is still kind of slow even after I changed the graphic settings to the fastest option.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
Been playing a lot of Hero's Hour, Core Keeper and Rise to Ruins as of late. Core Keeper in particular have a lot of potential.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Juggling Elden Ring (beat it but I wanna get a certain outfit to pull off funny shenanigans with, if I can make it work.
Phas with the trait wheel to keep things spicy.
Fortnite.

DemonHazardDeer

Niche Game Connoisseur
Finally playing Kirby and the Forgotten Land, and soon I'm gonna start replaying Xenoblade 1, then 2 and Tourna to get ready for 3.

Judge Spear

I'm learning to like Skyrim again. I played it when it was fresh in 2011. Haven't played it since until this week. I think I got my memory of it sullied by the overwhelming amount of cynical, hollow, draining slop that's tried to ape this game's success since then in the last 11 years.

Last decade or so made me magnify it's flaws, that it absolutely damn well has, and view the game as something far worse than it really is. I lumped it with the likes of Fenix, FarCry, Ass Creed, Horizon, Genshin, New Genesis, BotW, BioMutant, Rage 2, Tsushima, GTA, CyperPunk, and.....FallOut. All games I just can't fucking stand. But Skyrim really is not doing me any wrong right now. I appreciate it even more than when it was new. I'm just consistently impressed by the things it does right.

And the experience is helped a LOT by finally getting mods to work for it so I can make a not hideous fucking character Bethesda seems to have a fetish for.

DemonHazardDeer

Niche Game Connoisseur
I'm learning to like Skyrim again. I played it when it was fresh in 2011. Haven't played it since until this week. I think I got my memory of it sullied by the overwhelming amount of cynical, hollow, draining slop that's tried to ape this game's success since then in the last 11 years.

Last decade or so made me magnify it's flaws, that it absolutely damn well has, and view the game as something far worse than it really is. I lumped it with the likes of Fenix, FarCry, Ass Creed, Horizon, Genshin, New Genesis, BotW, BioMutant, Rage 2, Tsushima, GTA, CyperPunk, and.....FallOut. All games I just can't fucking stand. But Skyrim really is not doing me any wrong right now. I appreciate it even more than when it was new. I'm just consistently impressed by the things it does right.

And the experience is helped a LOT by finally getting mods to work for it so I can make a not hideous fucking character Bethesda seems to have a fetish for.
Interesting, every time I've tried Skyrim I personally found it super boring. Just don't find the world interesting or the gameplay. I do love BotW and Biomutant tho

zandelux

AKA Kardek
I'm replaying the Dragon Quest games, starting from the first.

One big problem I have with most modern games is that there's this hivemind mentality among a lot of players. They expect games to follow a lot of modern conventions and not surprise the player. Phrases like "ages well" or "quality of life" emphasize this, and there is an underlying assumption that modern gaming conventions are better than past trends, when it's clear to me that the modern conventions are just newer trends. They're not inherently better.

That's one thing I like about older games, especially from the last century. There were a lot fewer conventions then, and even where there are trends they are a nice change of pace from the modern trends. Dragon Quest I is very grindy, but because each battle goes back quickly I get into a trance and I don't mind the repetition. I can throw a YT video on my 2nd monitor and kinda play it unconsciously too. On the plus side of things, the game is a lot better balanced than I remember. There's a pretty smooth (although very slow) difficulty curve, all the spells so far are useful, and I'm enjoying re-exploring this world that I had forgotten.

SirRob

I'm replaying the Dragon Quest games, starting from the first.

One big problem I have with most modern games is that there's this hivemind mentality among a lot of players. They expect games to follow a lot of modern conventions and not surprise the player. Phrases like "ages well" or "quality of life" emphasize this, and there is an underlying assumption that modern gaming conventions are better than past trends, when it's clear to me that the modern conventions are just newer trends. They're not inherently better.

That's one thing I like about older games, especially from the last century. There were a lot fewer conventions then, and even where there are trends they are a nice change of pace from the modern trends. Dragon Quest I is very grindy, but because each battle goes back quickly I get into a trance and I don't mind the repetition. I can throw a YT video on my 2nd monitor and kinda play it unconsciously too. On the plus side of things, the game is a lot better balanced than I remember. There's a pretty smooth (although very slow) difficulty curve, all the spells so far are useful, and I'm enjoying re-exploring this world that I had forgotten.
That's an interesting perspective, and I can see where you're coming from. I've played a few retro games here and there on the Switch Online and had the same experience. Like, on a very basic level, you can make the comparison between an old game where you had to restart a level upon dying, versus a new game where dying just takes you back a couple feet. There's value in both experiences.