• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What was a serious turning point in your life?

M

Matohusky

Good Question!

I have a couple..

I literally decided one day that I had enough of living in some tiny village in the middle of nowhere. It was so remote a public transport bus only passed through the village twice a day. So I saved up some money and moved to different country for 2 years (already sorted a job out) That made me wake up and not be a jumped up 18 year old anymore. I enjoyed the fact I could start over fresh and experiment if you get what I mean. I remember crying on the plane coming home because I knew I had to go back to that shitty village.

Also although it may sound like utter disappointment in the long run it turns out to benefited me greatly I think. Trained solidly 5 days a week for several years to make it as an professional athlete. Eventually I made it to only find out it isn't actually that glamorous and is actually really lonely and stressful and quit after 4 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BlueWorrior

Positive turning point: going to uni. I may be dying from all the stress of my assignments, but it's all been worth it. the independence and being able to express myself more. it was going uni that led me to being a furry... one of the best decisions I've ever made!
Negative turning point: when my dad started taking Ritalin. changed him beyond recognition. All I'll say is that it hasn't ended well for him. But it was his folly that drove me to make a change in my life. it was because of that ugliness that I made the decision to go to uni. so even in the darkest point in my life, I was able to take something positive out of it.

Alpine

The best Renault
A positive one for me at least was the moment that I came to the realization that I shouldn't give a flying phuk about what other's think of me. Provided that I was bullied in school to an extent up until the highschool area, I ability to not care about that type of stuff really drew the harassment to an end.

A

aloveablebunny

Good Question!

I have a couple..

I literally decided one day that I had enough of living in some tiny village in the middle of nowhere. It was so remote a public transport bus only passed through the village twice a day. So I saved up some money and moved to different country for 2 years (already sorted a job out) That made me wake up and not be a jumped up 18 year old anymore. I enjoyed the fact I could start over fresh and experiment if you get what I mean. I remember crying on the plane coming home because I knew I had to go back to that shitty village.

Also although it may sound like utter disappointment in the long run it turns out to benefited me greatly I think. Trained solidly 5 days a week for several years to make it as an professional athlete. Eventually I made it to only find out it isn't actually that glamorous and is actually really lonely and stressful and quit after 4 months.

Sometimes you tend to learn a lot by making decisions and changes like this - I think it's a big part of "growing up" when you ultimately branch out on our own (whether by choice or not).

I hope you're in a good/better place now though!

A

aloveablebunny

Positive turning point: going to uni. I may be dying from all the stress of my assignments, but it's all been worth it. the independence and being able to express myself more. it was going uni that led me to being a furry... one of the best decisions I've ever made!
Negative turning point: when my dad started taking Ritalin. changed him beyond recognition. All I'll say is that it hasn't ended well for him. But it was his folly that drove me to make a change in my life. it was because of that ugliness that I made the decision to go to uni. so even in the darkest point in my life, I was able to take something positive out of it.

I miss school. I left a 4-year uni in 2009 because I lost my drive to focus, and didn't want to keep taking on debt when I wasn't getting anything out of school anymore. About 5 years later I finally went back, to an online school, to pursue a totally different degree. Because of life and work being too much within this year, I had to withdraw again, but this coming year I am going to try hard to be in a position to pick up my classes again. It definitely is stressful having to push yourself to focus and keep going, but if it's a subject that you enjoy then I think it will absolutely be worth it in the end. And yay for it introducing you to the Fandom!

I'm sorry about your dad - why is he having to take Ritalin if I may ask? Seeing someone you know change because of something like this is really really tough. Though, I am glad that you got some positivity out of the negative aspect of things by going to uni.

A

aloveablebunny

A positive one for me at least was the moment that I came to the realization that I shouldn't give a flying phuk about what other's think of me. Provided that I was bullied in school to an extent up until the highschool area, I ability to not care about that type of stuff really drew the harassment to an end.

It's tough to shift your perception like that, especially when you've been bullied. I suffer(ed) with social anxiety and was also bullied between elementary and high school, which seriously affected my self-esteem... so I know how you feel. It wasn't until I had been out of college and in the working world for at least a few years that I was able to overcome the bulk of this. When I was able to understand that a lot of the anxiety was based on my perception of myself, and the world around me, it made it a whole lot easier to make progress.

Storok

670 blp
when I stopped bullying others...
I still kinda do it but... Just not in the wy I did it before like... More harmless stuff that is just for a single joke about a person and not turning a person into a joke

so after I stoped doing that I had more time to think about stuff that really matters and so on so I became a pretty good student... And in a year and a half I will probably go to some university... But I have to admit that i kinda started bullying someone again and feeling that enjoyment return is pretty tempting... I just hope I don't turn into my old me again

A

aloveablebunny

Piggybacking on what I've already mentioned, I think that overcoming the most serious part of my social anxiety was definitely a major turning point in my life. In school, it was terrible - I was bullied and teased a lot, which intensified the anxiety and made me keep pretty withdrawn. Getting a job and putting myself out there, essentially stepping outside of my "comfort zone", is what helped more than therapy and medication combined. I learned to recognize my strengths and weaknesses, and embrace/work on them. I will probably always still be an introvert for the rest of my life, but I am able to function in life and get things done without having a panic attack. I've learned when having a "not give a shit" attitude is necessary in many situations, and how to stand my ground firmly when there is a subject at hand that is critical. I have had quite a few people I knew in high school tell me that I am a completely different person now than I was then.

Another turning point was realizing the reality of how a lot of my family is. Grandma who's alive is a narcissist and it damaged my father more than we realized, it wasn't until she "abandoned" our family that we truly understood just how fucked up things with her are. Many other family members are pretty fucked up and have shown their true colors, so my close family has dwindled a lot. As a kid you're pretty blind to these things, so seeing all this as I've grown older and dealt with it directly has been tough to accept. It's sad when more of who your true family is consist of people who are not related to you by blood or marriage.

A

aloveablebunny

when I stopped bullying others...
I still kinda do it but... Just not in the wy I did it before like... More harmless stuff that is just for a single joke about a person and not turning a person into a joke

so after I stoped doing that I had more time to think about stuff that really matters and so on so I became a pretty good student... And in a year and a half I will probably go to some university... But I have to admit that i kinda started bullying someone again and feeling that enjoyment return is pretty tempting... I just hope I don't turn into my old me again

What is it that led you to bully others in the first place?

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
Major turning point?

Poking a friend of mine back in late April/early May. Otherwise I'd be totally ignorant in terms of politics. I was already somewhat red-pilled, so I guess poking him was the final push.

A decent amount of my early posts were poorly worded and could use some really good rewording. But alas, it's in the past.

A

aloveablebunny

Major turning point?

Poking a friend of mine back in late April/early May. Otherwise I'd be totally ignorant in terms of politics. I was already somewhat red-pilled, so I guess poking him was the final push.

A decent amount of my early posts were poorly worded and could use some really good rewording. But alas, it's in the past.

Poking? As on facebook? o_O

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
Poking? As on facebook? o_O
Yeah, Facebook, of all places. Had the obvious "Long time no see!" chat, and ended up on politics. Boom, I got fully red-pilled.

A

aloveablebunny

Yeah, Facebook, of all places. Had the obvious "Long time no see!" chat, and ended up on politics. Boom, I got fully red-pilled.

Ahhhhh okay. I was gonna say, if a literal poke spurred all that... I need to be careful who I poke lmao!

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
Ahhhhh okay. I was gonna say, if a literal poke spurred all that... I need to be careful who I poke lmao!
Hahahaha. :D

Can poke me all you want if you ever wanna talk. :p

A

aloveablebunny

I don't think I'm old enough to have one yet, but I'd say doing this.

You can have a turning point at any time in your life. You'll probably have a few once you reach your 20's, 3o's depending on your life choices.

I hope that, despite your nervousness at being open with your furry affiliation and interest, that this is a positive turning point for you - by allowing you to be true to yourself!

M

Matohusky

Sometimes you tend to learn a lot by making decisions and changes like this - I think it's a big part of "growing up" when you ultimately branch out on our own (whether by choice or not).

I hope you're in a good/better place now though!

Definitely experiential learning is a wonderful thing.

And yes thanks. A new career move is certainly on the cards

Cloud Spire

Piggybacking on what I've already mentioned, I think that overcoming the most serious part of my social anxiety was definitely a major turning point in my life. In school, it was terrible - I was bullied and teased a lot, which intensified the anxiety and made me keep pretty withdrawn. Getting a job and putting myself out there, essentially stepping outside of my "comfort zone", is what helped more than therapy and medication combined. I learned to recognize my strengths and weaknesses, and embrace/work on them. I will probably always still be an introvert for the rest of my life, but I am able to function in life and get things done without having a panic attack. I've learned when having a "not give a shit" attitude is necessary in many situations, and how to stand my ground firmly when there is a subject at hand that is critical. I have had quite a few people I knew in high school tell me that I am a completely different person now than I was then.

Another turning point was realizing the reality of how a lot of my family is. Grandma who's alive is a narcissist and it damaged my father more than we realized, it wasn't until she "abandoned" our family that we truly understood just how fucked up things with her are. Many other family members are pretty fucked up and have shown their true colors, so my close family has dwindled a lot. As a kid you're pretty blind to these things, so seeing all this as I've grown older and dealt with it directly has been tough to accept. It's sad when more of who your true family is consist of people who are not related to you by blood or marriage.
I know what it's like to realize most of your family sucks. It happened to me sometime in middle school with my late father's family. They ended up being two faced, bullies, rumor mongers and outright awful people. My mother wanted to make peace and forced me to go to family gatherings up until high school when she decided to let me be my own person. They still try to act nice to me and ask me to visit when I run into them at the store but they lost their chance. It's made me decide that blood doesn't matter when it comes to family.

S

Sergei Sóhomo

Major turning point?

Yeah no that's definitely some good shit. Wanna learn about something that'll really make your blood boil?

Search up Alberta PRISM toolkit

nerdbat

Green butt of reason
If in general, then my first serious break up. It was quite painful and messy, but over time, it made me learn a lot of useful things about life and be much less of an overly dependent twat (which was pretty much one of the reasons for break up in the first place).

Culture-wise, watching Cowboy Bebop all the way through. I have many favorite movies, games, albums, etc, but this was the series that literally changed my life, both in my relation to other works of art and the way I look at life in general. Really, CB is a life changer, watch it if you haven't already.

Fandom-wise, a moment in life when I received a surprise gift from my favorite artist, along with opportunity to befriend said artist. It's just that I've spent many months and years trying to "make it big" to be more respected and recognized by people I highly respect myself - and in the end result, it happened that I got respected and recognized by such person not because of being uber-talented or accomplished at something, but because I just "happened to be a nice guy". Stuff like this really makes you reconsider the way you approach to your own craft, which is what happened to me.

Last edited:

Sarachaga

Definitely not a lizard
Moving out of my parents' place was a major turning point in my life. Before, I was socially awkward and shy. 4 years of living alone allowed me to open up to people, build confidence and become the opposite of what I was before.

Casey Fluffbat

E. Fuscus from the discount section
A serious turning point would be the beginning of 2016 and onto my 18th birthday. Over the course of the year I learned everything about being an adult and gained more confidence in making choices.